Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Non adhesive bar tape – where can I find it
  • turneround

Looking to double wrap my bars for paris roubaix next year, all tape seems to have an adhesive strip. Can anyone point me in the direction of some good quality tape without the adhesive strip.
    Cheers

jonba
    Free Member

Most silicone stuff. There is cheap stuff on eBay by Arundel provided you don’t want black.

Cheap stuff from China has no glue. Could use as a base.

Often gel/cushioned tape uses silicone bead rather than adhesive. You’d have to go check in a bike shop.

Final option I’ve used is don’t take the backing paper off the adhesive.

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve always double wrapped with adhesive and it’s been fine.

Cheap stuff on eBay doesn’t have adhesive, and is as good as any other ‘gel’ tape. ‘Non-sticky’ seems to be the bad translation.

orangeboy
    Free Member

A lot of the Specialized bar tape does not have glue. But does has a thin cushioned layer

lustyd
    Free Member

You’re asking the wrong question. I can’t imagine you actually want tape without adhesive, your goal is almost certainly to not ruin the first layer of tape? Cling film over the first layer and you’re sorted and will be able to use any tape on the market 🙂

jeffl

Boardman.

13thfloormonk

Careful of the fatter Specialized tape, I used some and it does come with adhesive.

The Cannondale Synapse tape has a thin layer of silicon, is nice and fat and has been pretty good throughout the winter for me. Will be my first choice for future bar taping jobs (i.e. every six months when I fancy a new colour 8) )

trail_rat
    Free Member

profile do it as to selle italia

i exclusively use tape without adhesive. Makes life easier when renewing the tape (no mess to clean) swapping bars (can reuse the tape) recabling – no trying to thread it into a black hole – i just just undo the tape and itll take 30 seconds to re wrap.

but then like most things its binary – theres those that can wrap bar tape and those who cannot.

jonnyboi

The boardman tape mentioned above is good, it has some cushioning, is non adhesive and comes with decent bar end plugs

TiRed

As mentioned, the silicone lizard skin tapes do not have adhesive. I have two sets (not lizard) but have been disappointed with the wear. Obviously wasn’t designed for winter glove riding. Very easy to apply too.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 Arundel silicone, got it on my CX ‘A’ bike and after that experience bought some to put on my summer pride+joy when it needs doing

https://www.merlincycles.com/arundel-synth-gecko-bar-tape-91014.html

Have you done P-R before? Double wrapping was one of many hints we were given prior, but we rode with no modifications other than decent size tyres (28C) and the only thing I suffered from was caffeine withdrawal from missing my morning coffee after an early start.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I just peal the adhesive off. So far its always been effectively double sided tape.

Fyii find double wrapping horrendous and localised silicon inserts better as you add the padding withough a massive increase in diameter.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Profile Design do, it’s a nice stretchy foam and fairly cheap.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had some Boardman stuff. But why not use gel pads under? I use them, very effective.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the only thing I suffered from was caffeine withdrawal

you’re a harder man than me; my hands were so painful i could barely hold the bars by the end. my knuckles ached for a week after. 😯

Having said that my tip would be to do some core work…

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve double taped my singlespeed as the bars are quite harsh. Worth having a cheapish thin first tape, say 1.5mm, then use a plusher second tape. Two layers of plush tape can feel like it’s squirming around under your hands.

I used Fizik 3mm for the second layer. It has a thin adhesive strip but it’s not strong, a bit sticker than post-it notes at a guess, just enough to hold the tape when wrapping and help prevent slippage when in use.

It depends on your hand size as well: if you’ve small hands then you don’t want to be making the bars too big a diameter.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Non adhesive bar tape – where can I find it’ is closed to new replies.