• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Nomad to Insurgent
  • jim79
    Free Member

Has anyone moved from a Santa Cruz Nomad 3 to an Evil Insurgent and could give a bit of a comparison? I love my Nomad, but got a recurring itch for an Insurgent, but have never even seen one in the flesh, much less ridden one! Thanks in advance.

edward2000
    Free Member

I had an Insurgent until it broke recently. The pivot bearings appear to have eroded the frame away, so I am currently waiting on Evils response to this. This is my second Evil bike which has failed.

I think there are better pedalling bikes out there (eg the Giant Reign) and the seat tube angle could do with being a bit steeper also. However for what it is its a still light frame and it is super quick when it goes down – the steeper the better. Cant compare to a Nomad however.

nasher
    Free Member

I cannot compare it to the v3 Nomad but I have spent a lot of time on both the Nomad V4 and currently riding an insurgent, both in the Italian maritime Alps.

The insurgent is one of the best descending bikes I have ever ridden, the suspension feels bottomless, and great quick handling, and I ride it in the low setting (not Xlow). However it is noisy with chainslap and it’s a pig on the climbs, the seat angle is v slack (worse on x low) and you feel like you are pushing when turning the pedals. the frames are currently good value but I have heard that there is a new insurgent on it’s way.

The V4 nomad rides similarly but climbs much better and rides much lighter than the 170mm travel suggests, Personally I would go for the nomad c carbon

northerntom
    Free Member

also know someone who has had the frame eat itself through the bearings.

Considering the amount of tales I’ve heard around warranty issues and broken frames, I would steer clear….

Stevet1
    Free Member

edward2000 – Member

I had an Insurgent until it broke recently. The pivot bearings appear to have eroded the frame away, so I am currently waiting on Evils response to this.

Can you keep us updated on the response please, interested to see whether Evil’s reputation is deserved or if things have improved.

jim79
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. I’ve ridden the Nomad 4 and it’s a lovely thing, but I think it’s a bit too much bike and doesn’t float my boat quite like the 3 I’ve got.
    Reading other forums I get the impression that Evils quality and response to warranty claims is now pretty good but I guess it’s a case of once bitten etc if you’ve had your fingers burnt!

edward2000
    Free Member

I sure will keep you updated Stevet. I’ll probably start my own thread once it’s come to its conclusion. Evil have been pretty good with me previously, but it’s so annoying having to strip, post and build two frames; there’s quite a cost involved. As much as they are amazing looking bikes and ride fantastically I can’t see myself owning another one unfortunately. NorthernTom what happened in the end with your friends?

neiladams
    Free Member

I had a Nomad 3 for a couple of years and looked at replacing it with an Insurgent.

However, I demo’d an Insurgent and thought that the two bikes were really too similar to justify changing. The Insurgent was slightly more confident descending but the seat tube angle felt noticeably slacker on the climbs. The Insurgent top tube felt quite a bit longer when seated pedalling which I didn’t really like.

I had never liked the wallowing mid-stroke feeling of the Nomad 3 rear suspension (I’m 92kg) – the Delta suspension of the Insurgent felt much better in this regard.

I also have a Following so eventually replaced the Nomad 3 with a Wreckoning.

Another thing to consider is that the Insurgent is the oldest model in the Evil line-up and is currently being discounted so there may be an updated version on the way.

honourablegeorge

edward2000 – Member

it’s so annoying having to strip, post and build two frames; there’s quite a cost involved.

Shouldn’t be costing you if it’s a warranty issue.

jim79
    Free Member

Cheers all for the replies. Neil, did you think the Insurgent was worse at climbing than the Nomad?

neiladams
    Free Member

I felt in a better position over the pedals on the Nomad when seated spinning up fire roads. With the Insurgent the slacker seat tube angle was certainly noticeable to me when seated – it felt like I was more over the back wheel and having to reach forward more. I tried sliding the saddle forward on the rails and this did help a bit. When standing going up steeper technical climbs the Insurgent actually felt a bit better in those situations but the difference between the two bikes was marginal. The Wreckoning surprised me as I found it to be much better than both at technical climbing – I’m amazed what that bike can claw its way up.

mboy
    Free Member

The Wreckoning surprised me as I found it to be much better than both at technical climbing – I’m amazed what that bike can claw its way up.

Couldn’t agree more.

Have tried the Insurgent but couldn’t gel with it, found it to be a confident descender and slightly lighter on its feet than the Wreckoning, but that was about it. My Wreckoning is a blunter tool for sure, but a very highly effective one, and strangely despite its heft, an impressive technical climber (seat angle is usefully steeper than on the Insurgent) too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nomad to Insurgent’ is closed to new replies.