• This topic has 65 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by campbellronald7-spam.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Nokia Lumia – any reason not to…
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Got an 820, same sentiments as andyfla. It’s fine, it was crazy cheap and couldn’t justify insane cost of iPhones anymore. But that’s about it. Hardware is nice and iPhone 4S level, WP is really slick and zippy, but usability is pretty woeful and feels old fashioned features wise in places. Home screen pinning is ace but doesn’t scale well if you have more than a few non standard apps

molgrips
    Free Member

It can multitask. I can play music and do other things. Perhaps it’s just games that affect music.

benp1

I’ve got a cheap Lumia, 620 I think, blanket change at work

It is genuinely a POS. Rubbish in every way, I miss my blackberry like you wouldn’t believe

iphone 5 as my personal phone

footflaps

I miss my blackberry like you wouldn’t believe

May have to get used to that, can’t see them being in the handset business much longer…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had a 920. Lovely phone, nice OP system, wouldn’t work with bluetooth in my car. Took it back foran Iphone which I didn’t want but works with the car no problem.

Bluetooth connectivity is a bit of a nightmare if you search the web about it. Not sure if they fixed it yet or have attempted to though.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not rubbish, you’re just not used to it, there’s a difference 🙂

Flaperon

Love my Lumia 925. Also has issues with the Bluetooth in my car. Apparently will be fixed in next software update at the end of the year. It’s not a Windows Phone issue; it’s something that Nokia have done.

Olly
    Free Member

Really rate my 800. only crticism is there is no alert light, and the charger port is hidden behind a little pop open door. surprised i havent ripped it off yet.

There is a strava compatible app (if no one has mentioned it yet)

its called “chaser”

only records and uploads, but thats no major drama. Overall it works fine. Comes up on strava as recorded with a piephone.

leffeboy

Also she can put stuff in the family room calendar, she doesn’t even have to remember to tell me about it but I’ll see it on my calendar notification live tile. Cool, it is.

@molgrips – is this all linked to windows live logins or do you have some other funny tricks?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well you need a ‘microsoft account’ to use the phone, which is basically a windows live thing or some other provider, but I am not sure you actually need one or even to own a windows phone to join in the ‘rooms*’. I just think the experience is better if you have one.

I don’t recall what the stipulations were. We just both got phones, I added myself and her to the room and it all started working.

The phone has a list of people with whom you interact, and it knows how you can interact with them. I don’t know if it knows she has a windows live login or it’s just sending standard calendar invites. I think that would probably work cross platform. There’s a version of One Note for Android, so you’d assume the shopping list bit would also work.

* there’s a family room by default, but you can set up other rooms. Would be handy for a club or your biking mates or something.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned the free music streaming thing yet?
    Lots of free music to listen to via the Nokia music app

edlong
    Free Member

I think the latest one has a 41mp camera on it

What’s the lens like? You can have all the megapixels in the world, but without a decent lens you’ll still have crap photos…

dannybgoode

@edlong – have you seen the reviews of the 1020 – I have not seen one person criticise the photos it takes.

Lens is Zeiss FWIW.

OK, its no DSLR but for a phone it is astonishing…

leffeboy

Tx for that molgrips. Runs off to look up rooms

edlong
    Free Member

@danny

Nope, not read the reviews, no need when there’s STW to answer all my queries!

Thanx

muddydwarf
    Free Member

My colleague has the 1020 – camera is really bloody good

molgrips
    Free Member

The point about the 41mp camera incidentally is not to create 41mp images, it’s so you can downsample and improve noise.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The ability to clip a small portion of the frame and expand it without losing clarity is very nice, already thinking of an upgrade

andyfla
    Free Member

One thing I love and will really miss on the iPhone is induction charging – it is ace, never saw the point in it until I had it, but it is so nice just popping the phone onto the pad and bingo, it charges

molgrips
    Free Member

920 comes with wireless charging.

rangeroy
    Free Member

lokked at tesco link posted on here price £230, looked at currys price £366, but currys do price match + 10% off if from selected sites etc, tesco been one of the sites listed.
    phone currys & after some major wait on a 0844 line get to speak to some person who feigns not to be able to find tesco web page, then says will ring back in 10 mins, PAH!! 4 hrs later no call back & check on currys site item no longer in stock, (it has to be in stock to get price match)
    looks like tesco will be getting a sale 😕

benp1

Molgrips – trust me, it’s rubbish

The more expensive ones might be better. The keyboard is slow and unintelligent, the power/sleep button is unresponsive, it turned itself off earlier, the calendar isn’t easy to view, phone book is crap, shall I go on?

It’s a work phone so I need some basic things to be excellent, it’s not. Luckily I also have a work tablet (as well as laptop) so I tend to use my phone as a hotspot and do things via the tablet

I’m tech savvy, the phone is trying to be clever but really it’s just slow and cheap. I really hope the more expensive ones are better

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I like windows phone 8. So it can’t be rubbish 🙂

benp1

😆

lexinoo
    Free Member

We have apple,android and wp8 in our house,and i am not a fan boy of any of them,but i must say my lumia920 is faster and more reliable than my nexus7,but on par with my wife’s nexus 4. Nexus4 is better for google stuff obviously ,and for apps and games,but my lumia is better for camera,video and music in my opinion.But its still early days for wp8 so i hope they will catch up.However,to be honest if i was buying a new phone now,it would probably be a nexus or Samsung galaxy s3/4

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Selling my Lumia 925, Love it, great phone, great camera, and love the music… BUT, It does silly things, like the alarm isn’t loud enough (at all), and there is no actual “back” button on the web browser, if you close it to do something else, and come back, the only option to go “back” will take you back to the home screen. Tedious.
    Media wise, Can’t beat the Lumia I don’t think anyway, I’ve been through Galaxys (S3, S4), HTC, iPhone (4s, 5), Blackberry (Z10 and Q10), and I’d rate the Lumia one of the best! But, I would put it behind the Z10! That phone is just great. But the os can let it down so much at times! So much potential! Just needs to sort it’s self out!
    Anyway, anyone wants to buy a Lumia 925, 2 months old, 32GB… Message me 😛

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Nokia Lumia – any reason not to…’ is closed to new replies.