• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by rs.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Nokia 5800
  • lubemaster
    Free Member

Looking to change my phone and thinking of getting a Nokia 5800. Has anybody got one and if so how do you rate them.

wwaswas

Like mine, runs Garmin satnav, lot's of memory with a big card, interface is easy to use.

downside – apps need to be written to use the touchscreen so you need to check. You also have to be prepared to use the pointer to enter text (I prefer this to using my wife's Iphone as I never seem to get what I want on there – fat fingers…)

Gordy
    Free Member

I'd rate it very highly indeed but that's because it has the features I want.

You might be looking for something different from your phone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

i have one, rate it highly

apps need to be written to use the touchscreen so you need to check

what do you mean?

wwaswas

well, some apps rely on using a keypad for entry/navigation. I've downloaded a couple that just won't work with the 5800 touchscreen.

I used to use a tom-tom satnav app on my N95 – it wouldn;t work on the 5800.

ski
    Free Member

Touch screen is good, not as slick as the Iphone but a good runner up.

Reasonably light, well compared to my N86 anyway.

Disappointed with the camera quality(got spoilt by the n86) and wish you could use the buttons on the front to unlock the phone, rather than the switch on the side.

Mine came with the Nokia Come With Music option, which the software worked on my PC until it updated itself, now I cannot log on and download music via my pc any more!

Gordy
    Free Member

@ski: Interesting – the lock/unlock switch is one of the things I like. The camera's not bad in good light I've found. There's no getting away from the fact that it's utterly terrible in anything but good light though.

Straightliner

I have one and they're okay, but given the choice now I would go for an iPhone 3GS.

Pros: Typical Nokia operating system, lightweight, smaller form factor than an iPhone, music player is okay, phone lock switch on the side.

Cons: Clock doesn't keep time, touch screen is not always as sensitive as you would like, need to use the stylus more than just fingers, poor loudspeaker quality and often hard to get to the numeric keypad once on a call. I've had problems with mine locking up on start up, then losing touch sensitivity as well in operation…. not ideal.

I don't really run 'apps' as such, so I'm just basing this on ease of use and being a phone with a few extra features. Camera is okay, but I'm sure there are better phones on the market if you want one for photos.

takisawa2

Yes, very happy with it. The Nokia Sat-nav app is good. Seems well thought out. Things like phone numbers showing as hyper-links when browsing the web is handy, just tap them to call the number etc. The std web browser is good, tried Opera but it seems a bit slow. Very happy for £15/m I pay.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Uhmming an ahhing over getting one of these myself. The X6 is out now which is the 5800's natural successor but is still very new to market and costs iPhone money atm, it's "meant" to sort out the shortcomings of the 5800 (a capacitive rather than resistive screen and a better camera) though reviews have been a bit so-so.

mogrim

I've got one, I quite like it. The music sounds fine, the camera's pretty good (with decent light), the web browser works well…

The main downside is the small screen – I use mine a fair bit for internet, and a bigger screen would be a major advantage. I suspect this is one of the main reasons you end up using the stylus more than on an iPhone (for example). I'm thinking of getting an N900 for this reason alone.

Clock doesn't keep time,

It's a known (appalling IMO) fault, to solve it: touch the clock on the home page, enter in the menu option Settings, then set Automatic Time Update to On.

will
    Free Member

love mine. Some great apps, such as the sat nav, and also sport tracker, which is fun. My phone also does not keep the time, thought it was just mine… This was also posted from my 5800 🙂

maxray
    Free Member

Who are you getting your N900 with mogrim?

Pretty much decided on one of them for me too. It looks awesome!

TenMen
    Free Member

I've got one and think it's great, especially the way it handles music and allows you to subscribe to podcasts and automatically download them. And a lot cheaper than an iPhone.

BikeCity
    Free Member

Really happy with mine, less than 1/2 price of an I phone as I only pay £15 per month. My clock lost time, but fixed now Thanks mogrim 😛

stevious

I've had mine for almost a year.

I find the touch screen to unresponsive, and certainly too small for doing much web browsing.

Battery life is great though, and some of the apps are useful too.

Not a patch on the iPhone IMHO, but a decent alternative for the price.

lubemaster
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, will definetly get one and as said before so much cheaper than an iphone. Does anybody ever use the maps for riding or are they not really designed for that

ski
    Free Member

This software is quite good and is free:

http://www.trackr.eu/download/

Haze

Another here who hates the keyguard switch on the side.

Absolute pain in the arse when I use it in my Ortlieb waterproof case, have to slide the phone out to use it.

That's not an easy task either, the screen sticks to the clear plastic sleeve and doesn't want to let go….grrr!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

mine is alright.

refused to work a few weeks ago and needed to get repaired

mine keeps time afaik…

music player is ok, camera crap.

texting with fingers is fine imo, althoguh i do use the stylus for the internet.

i'd definitely get a contract with internet included. i didn't, and i regret it.

rs
    Free Member

I just bought one a few days ago, handset only because I didn't want a contract. The price was a fraction of the iphone so not really a fair comparison but it stacks up pretty well. I have used an ipod touch for a few years now so was worried that I wouldn't like the 5800. The ipod is now relagated to car duties.

It's definitely less slick than an ipod but after two days I really like it, the stylus isn't necessary but sometimes its easier, opera 10 is fantastic, sports tracker is great and one of the main reasons I bought it, GPS locks on quickly, no slower than the garmin edge I used to have. Just waiting on the windscreen mount to use it while driving. Early days but I'm really happy with it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

our you could go for the n97?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

do i need the internet to use sports tracker?
    and if i have maps do i need a sub to use it as GPS?

sorry for idiot Qs…

rs
    Free Member

do i need the internet to use sports tracker?
    and if i have maps do i need a sub to use it as GPS?

sorry for idiot Qs…

I'm using it on 'pay as you go' so no data plan. The GPS works on its own, then I use my home wifi to upload workouts to the sportstracker website.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Nokia 5800’ is closed to new replies.