Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Noisy/Skipping Sunrace MX8 Cassette – Grrrr
  • letmetalktomark

I’m currently running an MX8 cassette (the black one) in a 1×10 arrangement with an XT chain, XT rear mech thats running a RAD cage and Goat link and Saint shifter.

The gears were set up by my LBS as I hate indexing ….. yes, yes, I know do it at home etc etc

So ….. the issue.

Gear are indexed and shift well up an down the block.

When in the 2nd, 3rd & 4th possibly 5th sprockets the there is an audible noise a little like you get when a gear hasn’t quite engaged or if the indexing is out or your chain and cassette haven’t worn at the same rate.

The bike is a rigid 29er so no odd things happening with chain length growth and the chain is the right length of the set up.

Has anyone else noticed this?

If so does it calm down with a little wear?

Its odd as no one I’ve ridden with has noticed the noise but I can hear it (man).

Help?

Kahurangi

I’ve not had any similar issues with mine, sorry.

Give it a really good close look from behind and see if there’s any bend of out-of-straightness of the sprockets concerned.

check for any burrs or damage.

check the chain and jockey wheel for any still links or crud.

see if moving the chain really slowly (a workstand will help) you can replicate the *chk* or noises…

alternatively make sure it’s well lubed and go ride it in.

jam-bo

Are the all cogs on the right way round. i may have accidentally fitted a couple backwards on a transition freehub and it vexed me for ages.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

Just checking if its a typo but the MX8 is an 11 speed cassette, the MX3 is the 10 speed.

richwak
    Free Member

I haad the same problem when i replaced my cassette and chain. From searching the www i swapped the new shimano chain for a sram chain and the problem stopped. Tried 3 different cassettes with the shimano chain and they all did the same thing. Seems the sram chains have a bit more lateral movement in them.

dirtydog
    Free Member

When in 2nd and 3rd gears, check,(best viewed from behind or with bike upside down) that the outer chain links aren’t rubbing on next lowest gear, i.e. when in second check the chain’s not rubbing on first etc.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Noisy/Skipping Sunrace MX8 Cassette – Grrrr’ is closed to new replies.