Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • noisy new rear Askium…..
  • iainc

Done a couple of hundred miles on new Askiums on road bike and all good apart from a bit of noise from the rear when powering out the saddle. No play in the bearings_ no loose spokes or valve etc, nothing else changed on bike – puzzled ….

Sounds a little like a chain rub on cage noise but its not the chain. Only really noticeable when standing and can’t hear it when not pedalling, also doesn’t do it much at slow speed

Any ideas ?

BadlyWiredDog

They’re not the stiffest wheels in the world, are you sure something’s not rubbing when you’re out of the saddle and maybe loading the wheel laterally?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Cracked free hub maybe? Or bearings getting worn?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Hmmm sounds like a flex problem I thnk I get the same!

iainc

I think it must be a flex thing but nothing is rubbing. Have tried undoing brakes and no difference and there is loads of tyre frame clearance – 25c GP4000’s on a composite defy.

iainc

Think might pop it into lbs who supplied and get them to have a look at freehub too

hairybiker84
    Free Member

My mate and I both have Ksriuum SL’s, don’t know if it’s a Mavic issue but haven’t had any problem with brake rub. We’ve put it down to the spokes loading up – there’s no way the spokes are rubbing as they’re not even close. Worry about it when they break I suppose 🙁

iainc

Hairybiker – so do you mean yours do the same ?

hairybiker84
    Free Member

They both make a noise like the rear mech’s not quite aligned which becomes a bit more musical when you put the presure on. Hard to desribe the noise exactly – a bit like ‘pinging’ the spokes softly. He’s on about lubing the spoke seats on the hub – I guess it might be worth a go spraying them with something!

iainc

Sounds exactly like mine, thanks. Will see what bike shop says.

BenjiM

Is there a spacer behind the casette? Do you need it or not if there is/isn’t? Did you realign your mech after you fitted them?

iainc

Ben, yes spacers are all in correctly and indexing is perfect. Silent when seated, only noisy when out the saddle putting power down, but doesn’t do it on slow climbs.

captain-slow
    Free Member

May be a dumb question but have you tried bike with different wheels to check it is not something else?

I had similar once and it turned out to be chainring bolts creaking…

andysredmini
    Free Member

Mine make a rubbing noise under hard power. I have narrowed it down to the wheel deforming and the spokes hitting the sensor of my garmin.

wilburt
    Free Member

Three sets of Aksiums here never found them anything but solid and reliable. The oldest set did develop the common squeel at high speed due to the nylon freehub bush but we are talking 10k + miles and a service fix it easily enough. I generally put a bit of lube on new wheels spoke nipples crosses just to help them bed in you could try that. If there new you’ll be letting the shop take care off them probably but should you feel like it the hubs are really easy to work on.

iainc

Thanks all, yes sure its the wheels as rode one day with old ones and next with new, and noisy. Will see what shop says, but thinking some lube on spoke ends for a start.

iainc

dropped it off, they are similarly perplexed, but will pull it all apart, grease up bearings and freehub, grease spokes and we’ll see how it goes. Thanks for all the ideas

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘noisy new rear Askium…..’ is closed to new replies.