• This topic has 26 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by yunki.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Noisy neighbours – have I overstepped the mark?
  • sofabear
    Free Member

I live on the ground floor of a 4-storey block of flats. I was on leave last week and didn’t venture out at the weekend so have spent a lot more time in my flat than usual.

Every day for the last 10 days there has been regular thudding and clumping – not loud, sharp noises but the type that reverberate through the walls. During the week it was occurring between 4pm and 8pm (in one case it was after 9pm) so I surmised it was kids jumping/playing around.

Today I’ve got a banging headache and felt like I had to say something. It turns out it was a couple of boys (10/11 years old) kicking a football around on the 3rd floor landing. Both lads were very sheepish when I wandered up the stairs, no back chat from them when I asked to speak to their folks. Their folks were were understanding and apologised profusely (which I didn’t expect tbh) and have promised to make sure their kids are quieter in future.

It’s not a sociable building because people really do keep themselves very much to themselves. There’s also quite a high turnover of tenants (20 flats, maybe half of us have been here for more than two years).

Anyway, it was all very friendly and I now feel like an evil whingeing bastard complaining about a couple of kids letting off steam. I don’t have kids so don’t have the first clue about keeping them occupied and letting them burn off steam. 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

Don’t worry about it.

They’ll play outside next time and kick the ball against your car….

sofabear
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

Don’t worry about it.

They’ll play outside next time and kick the ball against your car….

They already did that during the summer only it wasn’t my car it was my motorbike. They damaged it too, broke the wing mirror off.

ourmaninthenorth

That’s why they’re indoors!

Basically, you’re right: it’s all your fault.

😉

carlosg
    Free Member

Don’t worry it’s not like you ran up the stairs and carried on the second it started. When I used to live in an end terrace I used to let the kids see me 10 minutes after they started then pop out about half an hour later to ask if they minded moving to the next terrace end. Only got abuse a couple of times.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think during the day you have to live and let live, but of course there are always limits and I don’t know how loud this banding was.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

They’ve done you like a kipper by being polite and not arguing. Genius piece of work by the neighbours.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well done, I hate football!
    However if they’d been playing roller hockey & smacking pucks off the wall, that would’ve been ok by me.

Daffy

What. A. T**T.

Poor kids weren’t harming anyone except you’re precious little head. Now they’ll be into drugs and gangs and will need a hug from Dave Cameron…*

*none of this is at all likely to happen, but if this were TV…they’d already be riding off on you’re motorbike after having raped your cat**

**I have no idea if you have a cat, but if this were TV…

maccruiskeen

**I have no idea if you have a cat,

This puts an interesting twist on Schrodinger 🙂

CountZero

Daffy – Member
    What. A. T**T.

Poor kids weren’t harming anyone except you’re precious little head. Now they’ll be into drugs and gangs and will need a hug from Dave Cameron…* 😉
    You left the 😉 off, so I’ve put it on for you.
    At least, I hope you forgot to put it in…

Junkyard
    Free Member

they were annoying you complained

If you feel bad go back and say how about you can play and agree times when you wont mind

scotroutes

Sounds OK to me. Why not suggest a wee kick-about in the park with them just to cement the good relations?

Cougar

Use real cement.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve just come in from working on the patio and finished using the stihl saw at about 7.30. Where do I fit into this thread?

wrecker
    Free Member

Give em a present. Nothing big, just a thank you maybe even something for the boys (get them on side).

Junkyard
    Free Member

Depends,who is under the patio?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve just come in from working on the patio and finished using the stihl saw at about 7.30. Where do I fit into this thread?

Depends if you’re still holding the stihl saw when you answer the door. 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

Depends if you’re naked and still holding the stihl saw when you answer the door

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Did you stab their ball with a large kitchen knife whilst shouting ‘YOU’RE NEXT!!!’?

globalti
    Free Member

It’s simple:

1 – Kicking a football in a communal area is inconsiderate and discourteous towards your neighbours as it will affect them.

2 – Kids are used to being told what to do and won’t take offence at all.

However I bet they’d love it if you took them for a kickaround in the park this weekend.

easygirl

Overstepped the mark?
    If you’d have gone out shouted at the kids, taken their ball and put a knife through it and told them to deck off, yes
    Politely asking to speak to their parents and their parents agreeing with you is a great way to solve a minor problem.
    Just make sure to thank the kids for not making too much noise next time you see them

LMT
    Free Member

I have the same problem, 3rd floor flat kids playing football banging off the door etc, we left our bin bag outside the flat door as I was on nights trying to sleep, one of the kids fell and hurt himself must of been a beer bottle, neighbour complained my reply was he shouldn’t be playing out in the hallway. Neighbour downstairs complained to the council, had them round asking questions, said neighbour asked if we had complained I told him wtf I work shifts, so bar the odd time I’m in it rarely effects me but can be pain in the backside, it’s a bit tense last few months but still on speaking terms. Slowly the football has restated but does go quiet at 8pm, the other Saturday came home from work to find duvets pillows all out in the hallway kids playing where the rubbish bags are, the other neighbours dogs piss all over the carpets. Looking for a house in the next few months…

sirromj

Probably better than my approach of playing Aphex Twin’s Bucephalus Bouncing Ball very loud.

cbike
    Free Member

maybe you could try this technique? let us know the results.

Mbnut
    Free Member

http://www.sportsdirect.com/sondico-sponge-football-892140

Might be a good idea.

I’d have Maced them.

yunki
    Free Member

Seems like a reasonable interaction.. Could you come round and speak to my kids about their early morning noise levels..?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Noisy neighbours – have I overstepped the mark?’ is closed to new replies.