Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Noisy neighbours
  • poolman
    Free Member

What realistically can you do in uk? My last tenants complained about the neighbours above and complained to anyone who would listen…council told them to log the incidents, police did nothing, mgt company in flat did nothing, letting agent told them to get a house if they were super sensitive.

They moved…so new tenants move in and are seemingly now the ones making a noise. I m the landlord, they pay promptly, inspections reveal immaculate flat, i have forwarded noise complaint letter from mgt company and they say they have had 2 parties (pre inspection) for christmas, birthday in 1 year, no neighbours complained at the time.

If you had noisy neighbours would you not just knock on their door and ask them to be a bit more considerate? Or a party phone the police.

Thanks in advance

thegreatape
    Free Member

Where in the UK? Police powers re noise vary.

sweepy
    Free Member

Is it the original noisy neighbours that are now complaining?
    THEY DON’T LIKE IT UP EM
    Two parties in a year is not unreasonable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jekkyl

I would knock on but some people are afraid of confrontation. If the noise is on a friday/saturday night and occasional they can suck it up, that’s not unreasonable.

poolman
    Free Member

Sw london, police did nothing when last tenants complained about a party upstairs. I am the landlord i am not wholly convinced i am responsible for the tenants actions?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Police powers are pretty limited in these situations.

gordimhor

No expert on this but …
    Have other neighbours said anything about noise from any of the flats involved?If not can you ask them ?
    Also it strikes me that the tenants upstairs are a common factor in both situations, I don’t think that means anything in only a couple of incidents but if it becomes a pattern over a long period, well I’ll let you draw your own conclusions

Cougar

Those affected need to document everything, times, dates, duration, type of noise, merely going “they’re noisy” is subjective. Compile a log. The council should then intervene.

Dunno what responsibility is on you though (shouldn’t you know this as a landlord)?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Living in a flat is a compromised situation when it comes to noise. Both everyday and party type stuff would be more noticeable. I’ve learned to live and let live but then I make a bit of noise myself so see a party downstairs as a licence to turn up the stereo occasionally!

Is it the still the upstairs neighbours? Maybe your previous tenants have recalibrated their expectations. If I’d received frequent complaints then maybe I’d complain back at similar levels of noise. Maybe you could pop round with a bottle of wine and let them air their grievances. If they hark back to the previous tenant, you can apologise for their [antisocial] behaviour, explain that you discouraged it and maybe get them back onside?

poolman
    Free Member

Ok thanks all i have spoken with tenants and they are aware of complaints. As a landlord i am not sure i am responsible though. Next visit i ll knock on neighbours door if only to hear what they say.

As said flat living is a compromise.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I used to live in a flat where the bloke on the ground floor fancied himself a DJ. Him and his wife partied every Friday and Saturday night. The music was so loud that books laid on the floor would bounce up and down. Partly it’s a problem with hastily converted flats, but he was a penis because he would just get aggressive every time I politely asked him to turn it down.

I came home drunk, got kicked out of bed, decided to have a bath and fell asleep in it. Unbeknownst to me the overflow wasn’t routed properly and his ceiling collapsed. I also answered the door to him in the altogether when I came to and heard him banging on my door.

He didn’t party much after that.

vongassit
    Free Member

Knock Knock

[/url]screen shot pc[/img]

mattyfez

I wouldn’t think as a land lord you have much responsibility in this context, the Tennant is responsible for their own behaviour.

It’s probably prudent to do as you have and make them aware of complaints and that you’re not particularly happy about it, though. If complaints keep happening then you might want to consider not renewing the tenancy contract when the time comes as if they are that inconsiderate, it’s likely they won’t be treating the flat with much respect either.

midlifecrashes

I’m a landlord of a flat too. It’s very clear in my leasehold that my lease can be forfeit if nuisance is caused, and the noise free times are specified. I copy those times into the tenancy document and make it quite clear I will evict a tenant who puts my ownership at risk. That together with having known the neighbours of the flat longer than the tenants and I’ve never had a purely noise problem. (Have bad tenants before, but that’s always a risk.)

slowoldman

Two parties in a year is not unreasonable.

Yes but if you are going to make a noise it’s only polite to invite the neighbours.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Noisy neighbours’ is closed to new replies.