• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Noisy Neighbour (Of A Different Kind).
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Or a Blackbird to be precise (and I don’t mean Sinitta).

For the past week or so a pair of Blackbirds have set up home in the trees at the bottom of the garden, we have all manor of birds using the feeders/trees and have never had any problems before.

It’s the male that is causing the racket, it basically wakes up at 4.30am and goes apeshit. All day, everyday until gone 10pm with its alarm call. I can hear it now. The cat won’t go outside, the kids can’t get to sleep and the wife who has the patience of a saint dreamt last night I shot it out of the tree.

There’s nothing in the garden or the fields behind that I can imagine it would see as a danger although I imagine I’m now on the list after throwing my shoe at it last night.

We are moving so not all is lost but what’s the short term solution? No pudding?

alpin
    Free Member

used to have a blackbird wake me up at sunrise each morning by throwing hmself at his reflection in the window. went on for ages until i had the bright idea to cut off the branch.

currently have two pair of collared doves nesting in the garden. coo-hoo coo-hoo coo-hoo…..

loddrik
    Free Member

We have wisteria covering the back of out house, we currently have a blackbird nest and a Robins nest in there, both have chicks in and its like a bird Euston station with the amount of trips in and out. Even our 4 cats have lost interest in it now.

seadog101

The Blackbird family in our garden are pretty quite, thankfully, and remarkably trusting of us. As soon as you’re out in the garden with any kind of gardening tool they are skipping around you waiting for the soil to be loosened up so they can get to the worms.

Even had Mrs BB feeding her chicks in the flowerbed as I was painting the back step.

5thElefant
    Free Member

last night I shot it out of the tree.

The answer is in the question.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

It would be a toss up between the hmr, semi or o/u but there’s no way I could ever do that. If it was a woody on the other hand………..

We always have Blackbirds etc and they’re normally pretty tame, along with the Robins, Woodpigeons and Goldfinches they’re the only ones that don’t seem to bother when we’re out.

Just this sodding asbo Blackbird and its incessant racket. It had stopped but now it’s off again.

allthepies
    Free Member

Same situation here, blackbirds taken roost in a tree at the bottom of my garden. Not too bad as my bedroom is at front of house so any morning shenanigans from said tree dwellers has no effect. But during the day and evening they are a PITA.

martinhutch

Buy a proper cat. No pudding for your existing cat.

globalti
    Free Member

We had to cut down the tree whee they have nested every year, so no blackbirds now. Sniff.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

The cat is sat inside at the patio door with the Blackbird going bonkers on the fence at the other side of the door.

Anyone own a bird of prey?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Actually frig that, I’m nipping into work tomorrow and picking up my quadcopter 😈

teethgrinder

You need an STW-approved artisan trebuchet to fling your cat into the area.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Thinking of rigging one of these up for the cat

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QVHzxwNmUc[/video]

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve got the entire UK population if sparrows in my garden. Thankfully I’m a heavy sleeper, but if I wake early I have to shut the window and it’s still difficult to get back to sleep. Annoyingly some of them keep making a nest in the gutter above the window, despite cleaning it out from time to time.

Loads of cats about, but sparrows are too quick, and hide in bushes the cats can’t get into.

theotherjonv

The apartments next door to me has a large cherry tree in the garden. I have pretty much most of Surrey’s bird population either in the tree or on my roof eating what they’ve picked. The issue is that beaks are good for holding cherries, or eating cherries, but not both at the same time. Hence I have so far today removed dozens of part eaten cherries from my patio. I have to, because the dog’s cherry tolerance is nowhere near as high as her cherry appetite, and I’d rather do hourly cherry pick ups than clean bright purple chunder off my carpets.

andysredmini
    Free Member

We had the same problem at our old house but with magpies. A neighbour sorted it with his air rifle. Everyone in the cul de sac was happy to say the least. They made a right racket that woke us all up every morning.

slowoldman

Try peacocks.

mtbfix

Shut your windows when you go to bed?

matt_outandabout

For the past week or so a pair of Blackbirds have set up home in the trees at the bottom of the garden, we have all manor of birds using the feeders/trees

There’s nothing in the garden or the fields behind

All day, everyday until gone 10pm with its alarm call it is calling and singing.

Sounds idyllic.

Moses

He’ll stop in a few days. He’s trying to attract a mate for a late secomd brood. Once he’s scored he’ll shut up.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

He’ll stop in a few days. He’s trying to attract a mate for a late secomd brood. Once he’s scored he’ll shut up.

Has he told his missus?
    Not like a Blackbird to play away…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Can’t even get ready for a ride now!

[video]http://vimeo.com/133277611[/video]

matt_outandabout – Member
    For the past week or so a pair of Blackbirds have set up home in the trees at the bottom of the garden, we have all manor of birds using the feeders/trees

There’s nothing in the garden or the fields behind

All day, everyday until gone 10pm with its alarm call it is calling and singing.
    Sounds idyllic

It was.

He’s got a mate, sounds like he’s after a bit more.

br
    Free Member

Currently once it’s dark we’ve owls, foxes and god knows what squawking, barking and making general noises all night, and then the dawn chorus starts about 4am.

Luckily I live in the country and that is the only things we hear – as opposed to sirens, cars, trucks and folk screaming 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Noisy Neighbour (Of A Different Kind).’ is closed to new replies.