Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Noisiest full suss you have ridden?
  • jam-bo

that isn’t mechanically failing..

Orange 5 without a doubt.

like a bag of loose spanners.

joebristol

GT Lts back in the late 90’s for sure. Remember it being quite clanky.

Klunk
    Free Member

once rode behind a fs carbon whyte, man that was loud!!!!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Commencal meta sl, stupid internal cables! My Alpine 160 and patriot were actually pretty quiet.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Transition Patrol Carbon.

It sounded SO bad, it was hilarious.

Drove me up the wall.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Anything badly setup – even a Five can be made to be quiet with a bit of attention.

Bregante

My mates old Scott Ransom without a doubt. It wasn’t just the clunking and clanking but that pull shock made a god-awful wheezing sound, like an asthmatic rhinoceros.

jobro
    Free Member

Its not just the bike is it. My Turner Czar, lovely though it is, suffers from the curse of a creaking press fit bottom bracket, creaking KCNC seat post and howling R1 brakes.
    As much as I have tried to silence these annoying noises by usual maintenance tricks it never lasts long.
    Spoils a fantastic bike.

edlong
    Free Member

Mongoose Otero Elite.

To be fair, it quietened down quite a bit with some new bushings, and as a bonus steers more predictably too!

jamesfts
    Free Member

Orange 223 with IBS breaking arm.

You could ram that thing with as much foam/velcro/teflon/unicorn farts as you could get hold of and it would still wake the dead.

mindmap3
    Free Member

My mates Spesh Status is bloody noisy.

My Demo was a bit clattery until i swapped the X9 clutch mech for a GX DH mech.

My Patriot 66 made a right old racket but that was before the days of clutch mechs.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Orange Sub 5. Didn’t need a bell or shout a warning.

rone

Its not just the bike is it. My Turner Czar, lovely though it is, suffers from the curse of a creaking press fit bottom bracket,

You should be able to solve that. With my Czar it’s always been other things like WTB seat rails and occasionally the pivots.

Which BB?

Orange 5 definitely. Like a box resonator.

prawny

Not a full suss but my Vitus Sentier makes a right racket, god knows how. If I crank out of a corner the whole frame sings when the freehub engages, it’s weird, I’ve never know anything like it.

jimplops

Whyte Preston not mine but a guy I knew had one on demo, now that was loud!

P-Jay
    Free Member

2005-2007ish Demo 8 I borrowed for a day. Never meet your Hero and in the early days of MTBing watching Roam and The Collective with this guys doing crazy stuff on these cool fancy looking bikes they didn’t even sell in the UK at the time I wanted a Demo so much it hurt – I was supposedly not broken, but it rattled and flexed so much.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

like a bag of loose spanners.

The rear hub’s the loudest thing about my 5.

nixie

Orange Patriot (old one). The larger size box in the front amplifiers way more than a five.

legend
    Free Member

Intense M1 ftw

mamadirt
    Free Member

Intense Tazer VP 8) My second one funnily enough, which had a huuuge square hole inside the bottom bracket shell where the downtube was joined, was fine, but the lovely orange wedge (an earlier model with no BB shell drillings) . . . 😡 deafening!

matt_outandabout

Anyone i am riding….

*screams*
    *whoops*
    *hollers*
    *yeeee-haaaaa*

tazzymtb

howling R1 brakes.

since I’ve gone onto fibrax rotors and pads, all of my R1’s are lovely silent stoppy things of joy

my orange 5 sounded like someone had thrown a filing cabinet off a cliff

jobro
    Free Member

since I’ve gone onto fibrax rotors and pads, all of my R1’s are lovely silent stoppy things of joy

Thanks tazzy, I’ll give them a go.

jobro
    Free Member

my orange 5 sounded like someone had thrown a filing cabinet off a cliff

surely, throwing all Orange 5’s off a cliff is the best thing to do to them 🙂

jamesoz

Marin Quake, the original boxy thing. A mishift could pop eardrums at 500m and the box section could be dented by staring at it too hard.

johnw1984
    Free Member

all my bikes have ended up with some sort of annoying noise. I’m going to stop worrying about it lol.

Current Stumpy has a clicking noise when the pedals are under load…

Yak

My now long gone, 2006 orange 5. Sounded like a steel band falling down a rocky cliff. Riders ahead would pull over only to turn around to see that I was nowhere near their back wheel.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Tranny Bandit, mine, squeaks and moans all the time. I tune it out, much like the kids moaning.

tomhoward

A mates Ellsworth on long climbs

‘How are you so slow?’
    ‘Hurry up, I’ve been waiting for ages’
    ‘Get a move on’

I’m fitter/quicker than him now though, so it’s quietened down a bit 8)

jam-bo

my old 26″ version squeaked from the lower shock mount. new 29″ version doesnt.

Northwind

224 Evo. Filled the swingarm with expanding foam, plastered the outside with velcro, fitted a clutch mech, moved the cable routing all of which had the effect of making it sound like there was less cutlery in the frame. Loved that bike but it was kind of a disaster

roverpig

I’ve never noticed the noise from any mountain bike when descending and I own a Five. I guess the screaming in my head is just too loud 🙂

On the way back up I’ll notice every creak and rub, but that’s down to setup rather than the bike.

Del

didn’t sharky also put a bead of clay in the swingarm? 😆

jam-bo

not both of them…

z1ppy

Having been an owner, I was forever annoyed at ppl saying that Marin’s were noisy.. Then sat at the end of (old) penhydd, we heard then saw a large group of various aged marins ALL squeaking and grinding there way past, I stopped being annoyed about the taunting after that.

core

My Zesty, it has a creak/rattle noise if it isn’t ridden for a while, it’s horrendous, I had it to bits recently, nearly ordered a new BB, mech hanger and bearing set. Rode it for an hour, now silent, can’t work it out 😈

The brakes also howl like a banshee, Deore’s that seem to contaminate themselves constantly.

I like nice, quiet, hassle free bikes. Contemplating dropping the full sus just because I don’t ride it that much, it always makes some noise and I can’t be bothered with it always needing something doing.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

My mates old Orange Patriot. Sounded like a skeleton masterbating in a biscuit tin

submarined
    Free Member

Marin Quake, the original boxy thing. A mishift could pop eardrums at 500m and the box section could be dented by staring at it too hard.

Is the correct answer. Hit gravel at speed and it sounded like you were under fire.
    Second noisiest is the Marin FRS bikes around turn of the century. I’d go to meet my mates up in the woods, and they’d hear me coming from the top of the run. Chainslap like nothing else you’ve ever heard, combined with a plate type chain device. Such a racket.

jamesoz

submarined – Member

Is the correct answer. Hit gravel at speed and it sounded like you were under fire.
    Second noisiest is the Marin FRS bikes around turn of the century. I’d go to meet my mates up in the woods, and they’d hear me coming from the top of the run. Chainslap like nothing else you’ve ever heard, combined with a plate type chain device. Such a racket.

It did look cool though! I sold it when I realised my hard tail was faster uphill and downhill, in fact better in every way.
    Dread to think how noisy it would have been with disc brakes.

submarined
    Free Member

Mine cracked around the pivot, because it was a Marin. Warranty replaced it with a newer equivalent… Guess how I know about the FRS bikes? 😀 Marin warranty around that time was phenomenal, I think I tried most of their FRS frames for a few months at a time!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Noisiest full suss you have ridden?’ is closed to new replies.