Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Nobby nics vs rubber queen/trail king
  • ceepers

As above really (sorry it’s a tyre post!)

Been running 2.2 Evo NN. Tubeless on a mavic 319 front and stans crest rear for most of the last year on my soul. I’ve been pretty happy generally but have found them slippy on wet rock.

Just wondered how a pair of rubber queens would compare. Someone must have had both!

Guess they are taller so more cushioning but what about grip/ rolling and weight. How are the black chilli to set up tubeless?
    I’m more of a fit an forget for a while guy than a serial tire swapper!

Thanks in advance!

banks
    Free Member

If it your fit & forget then ust rubber queens ftw, just spend time getting the pressures right. 2.2 should be ok on your rims.

They are brilliant on wet roots & rocks too

rickon
    Free Member

Rubber Queens are in a different league. More grip, don’t wash out on wet rock, alright on wet roots (predictable).

The only thing is the rolling resistance on the Nics is lower, but that also translates into less grip.

Northwind

Yeah, they’re fairly different tyres tbh. Certainly much better at wet rock and the like though.

funkrodent

I’ve used both. Would concur with the comments above in that the Nobby Nic is slightly faster rolling but the Rubber Queen (black chilli version) is essentially a great all round tyre. Masses of grip in all situations, good rolling resistance and works great tubeless. If you want a fit and forget tyre to use in all types of English conditions/weather then I think you’d struggle to get much better.
    FWIW there do seem to be a numbe of people bigging up the On-One Smorgasbord. Not quite as good as the RQ but bang on the money for what they cost. Might be worth checking them out, they’re comparitively cheap so you can always use hem s back ups if they don’t work out…

banks
    Free Member

Smorgs are good but i’ve ripped 3 wide open now whereas the RQ just shrugs anything off.

rickon
    Free Member

That’s a good point, the Smorgasboard tyre didn’t feel less grippy than my Rubber Queen when ridden back to back on the same section, on the same day.

That was in the 60/42a compound. The ChunkyMonkey is even bigger, with more grip too.

Kryton57

With those comments in mind, I’m guessing a ‘Queen up front and NN rear would be a good compromise?*

* I may have fallen off on some roots with a NN up front at the weekend.

richmtb

Hans Dampf as a front tyre instead?

funkrodent

With those comments in mind, I’m guessing a ‘Queen up front and NN rear would be a good compromise?

Used that exact same combo myself (think it was the Pacestar on the back). Really nice, good grip on the front and the bike just seemed to carry speed into and through corners. Some people might say go for something bigger/grippier on the front, but ultimately it depends on how hard/fast you want to ride. For the majority of UK riders/conditions that would be an excellent set up.

Smorgs are good but i’ve ripped 3 wide open now whereas the RQ just shrugs anything off.

That’s a cause for concern, they’re cheap but not that cheap. What kind of terrain were you riding/what were you doing to do that to the tyres?

ceepers

So are these a good price for the ones I want or am I still confused about the different versions of the tire?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121090563851?var=420151911235&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RQ in Black Chilli phlavah are teh shizznizz, braw!*

*Rubber Queens, in the Black Chilli compound version are really rather good, old chap.

edward2000
    Free Member

Captain flash – nice jive talking.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

COL’ got to be! Y’know? Shiiiiit.

hainman
    Free Member

Trail king,the tyre formally known as RQ

ceepers

Are the race sport ones any good or too light weight to last?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-rubber-queen-mtb-tyre-racesport/rp-prod109872

Bikediscount.de maybe the go!

Alex

I had racesport trail-kings on my 29er HT – fine for tubeless, light, fast rolling and grippy in dry conditions. Did rip a sidewall and in the mud they were mildly frightening! I’d probably not go racesport again as they are a bit thin for someone without *ahem* outstanding trail skills 😉

Swapped to a RQ 2.2 Black Chilli (front) and Std trail-king (non RS) on the back. Brilliant combo. Front sticks like whatsit to a blanket, back end breaks free and slides. Loads of fun 🙂 I did have a bit of trouble getting the RQ tubeless as it’s quite porous but with enough fluid it’s fine. And worth it for the black chilli compound, grip is amazing. Likely to keep it on after winter.

I have HD 2.35s on my 29er FS and I really rate them. But the RQ definitely has more grip.

chiefgrooveguru

It looks like the UST Rubber Queen may be being replaced by the Protection version, which would be a shame as the UST one is bombproof, rolls fast and has a really well damped carcass = much less fidgety rear on a hardtail. NB: When it’s loose or muddy the RQ needs to be leaned hard or it lets go prematurely. Ride it right and it’s a very very good tyre.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Which of the 3 tyres mentioned are best for the current conditions wet and muddy?
    I need some new tubeless tyres for my new wheels..
    I have some old Nobby nics that aren’t tl ready, I always found they let go in the corners when it’s wet/muddy..

Northwind

Goldigger – Member

Which of the 3 tyres mentioned are best for the current conditions wet and muddy?

Honestly wouldn’t choose any of them for mud, the RQ’s a bit big and not the most “shovelly”, NN is lower profile, both are pretty cloggy.

Conti’s Baron is bloomin superb for harder riding in the wet. Bit slow, but unlike most mud tyres works well in the dry too. Or for something more allroundy but still good in mud, maybe a Butcher and a Purgatory?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They are brilliant on wet roots…

Nothing is brilliant on wet roots. 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It looks like the UST Rubber Queen may be being replaced by the Protection version,

Protection is just their non-UST tyre so what you’re saying is that they’re dropping the UST version? Sounds unlikely.

something bigger on the front

like a 2.4 RQ (they’ll always be rubber queens. love that the American’s were too insecure to take that branding).

Goldigger
    Free Member

Northwind…
    Thanks for the info..I had a look for those conti barons..do they come in tubeless? cant seem to find them if they do.

Cheers

Northwind

No UST version sadly, it was advertised but apparently they screwed up the production and have shelved them. The standard ones inflate well but do take a bit of effort to get them to seal. Not the toughest of sidewalls unfortunately- I’ll wear out the sides long before I wear out the tread.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Can I throw a couple more tyres in the mix…dirty Dan and muddy Mary?

How well does a Hans dampf do in wet muddy conditions…not gloopy mud mind you..

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

Second the Black Chili Rubber Queens. Have a 2.2 up front @ 30psi and it’s amazing; big volume, open tread, amazing compound. Grippy on rock and roots, clears well, rolls well, and almost silent on tarmac. A few months use and still have the moulding hairs on…

ceepers

So as this was my thread i’ll update a little.

I ended up getting a pair of black chilli tubeless ready protection trail kings from a german site. I’ve only got access to a track pump and not a compressor and i struggled to get them to go up tubeless. I think partly because even at 2.2 they are pretty big volume and difficult to pump air into quickly enough and partly cos my rear stans rim is badly bent it turns out.

Bmx tubes/ghetto method to the rescue and they have been fine once up and sealed.

So far i’m really liking them. They feel grippier and more confidence inspiring than the nics did and still seem to roll well. The taller proile seems to give a little more cushioning too.

Mud wise they are ok and i’m too lazy to swap to a proper mud tire – i’ve put flat pedals back on and i’m embracing getting loose and speedway turns instead!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Nobby nics vs rubber queen/trail king’ is closed to new replies.