Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Nobby Nics & Racing Ralph tyres Are they that good…Realy.
  • jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Often notice most of you on here rave about these tyres.
    Just thinking about going UST or Stan sealant with tyres..UST or standed ..?

What weights are they & how realiable etc as im contemplating getting a pair to try on my MAVIC Crossmax SX wheels..

Will they be ok as im around 17.5 Stone kitted up….
    What kind of PSI can you run too..

Im a fatty LOL I know… 😳

Any usefull info as they seem a expensive tyre & prob would have a 2nd hand pair 1st before i DIVE in ..

coogan
    Free Member

I thought Nobby Nics were utter shite personally.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Not very good no – I found the sidewalls on the UST versions quite fragile – RRs are just worn versions of NNs and for bone dry conditions only really

dobo
    Free Member

utter shite compared to what exactly coogan?

at your weight if you go for them get the ust version as standard walls are thin, they will seal fine but you will need to bump the psi too high so the walls dont squish around and feel awful.

tazzymtb

yes they are, but i'll caveat the statement by saying in the right conditions and for the intended use. They are a fast xc tyre so in that application they are top banana, they are not designed to go smashing through rock gardens all day etc, etc..

Although TBH for a fast xc tyre now I'd use rocket rons or even a furious fred.

If you want a more general tyre for peak district/wales/lakes I'd go for something more robust

coogan
    Free Member

Compared to any other tyre I've used. Just didn't get on with them at all and sold on after a month. Over expensive rubbish IMO.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Cheers guys should have said i only ride bridleways trails etc nothing too Drastic..My necks knacked…….Due to breaking it 6yrs ago..DAMM motorbike eh..

Im running Conti speed kings 2.2 with tubes at the mo so there ok but just fancied a tubless change to give it a go like…& shed a few grams…

Id just go & get liposuction IF i could afford it LOL…

Bound to make a difference eh .? 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

I use both, found them very fast. Unfortunately quite a high wear rate and cost £lots so racing use only.
    I avoid UST anything though.

Whyte1
    Free Member

a mate bought a pr NN Double Defence one split on their second ride , they were to replace a pr of NN UST that the side nobbles has torn off – FRAGILE EXPENSIVE SH_T

CaptJon
    Free Member

Love my NN. Best tyre i've ever used and never had an issue with tearing them, but i ride quite 'light'.

tazzymtb

FRAGILE EXPENSIVE SH_T

I could equally say that high roller 2.35's heavy draggy poo because I'm an xc jey boy and slow my race riding marginally faster than normal bike down.

Tyre choice is about what's the best compromise for the riding YOU do.

tron
    Free Member

I've had some Fat Alberts go wonky (1 stretched bead, 1 out of shape), so you won't catch me buying Schwalbe again.

DWH
    Free Member

I use RR and NN all year round in the Peak District and they work fine for me. I'm not sure there is really all that much difference between tyres anyway. The weight is a pretty good indication of how rugged they are going to be, and apart from that – well, mostly cosmetic / aesthetic differences?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

maxxis imo are beter and better for £££ too 😉

luked2
    Free Member

I like them.

I found Racing Ralphs to be very fast when dry. If it's loose then the front seems to start letting go (or maybe it's my lack of ability though). In the wet they become a bit rubbish, as you would expect.

I switched over from Panaracer Fire XC pros to Nobby Nics last year. The NN's seem to be quite a lot faster, although they have a bit less grip, but in a fun kind of sliding-fast-round-slithery-corners sort of way. Not had any problems with sidewall tears, but it's not very rocky round here.

You can often get them cheaper if you hunt around a bit.
    HTH.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Sounding a bad idea now…

But im going to give them a go..
    Could i run the Conti SK 2.2 with stans ??

Might try that 1st as dont wanna spend loads on tyres…as they are only tyres said & done…
    What tyres NONE UST work well with stans then looked on web but people lie ? 😯

neninja
    Free Member

They're light tyres so aren't going to last long under very heavy or heavy handed riders

RaRa served me well on the back for several months this year on everything from rocky surfaces to thorny bridleways.
    NN worked fine on the front too with no punctures or sidewall issues

ronniebiggs
    Free Member

dude just stay away from takeaway,

stooo
    Free Member

I've run a set of NNs for the past year and been very impressed with them. They've been through loads of 7stanes riding (all trails, including belting around inners and Ae) as well as a fair amount of highland and general off piste, propper mountain biking. Oh, and I rode them for my 7 laps of the puffer this year.

The sidewalls have finally shown signs of wear and so they've just come off the bike… but over all, I'd say that's a pretty good show.

I tried my pals racing ralphs out and was really impressed with the weight and speed and they still felt pretty grippy… not far off the nics, so got a set of those for long rides and marathons for this year. I've got a heavy duty set of tyres for hooligan riding and a bigger more heavy duty bike for serious lunacy, so I'm not too worried about them working for everything.

grtdkad

Love my NNs (never used RRs), have had three or four sets – fast, grippy and predictable.
    I am not light (200lbs) and tend to run at around 40psi

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Have used UST Nobby Nics in the rocky north and in the flat south and they've been absolutely fine. Am now on my second pair.

Popocatapetl

i've just got a set Of RR's and am running them tubeless. they are not very confidence inspiring on the loose stuff, but there is a noticeable difference in rolling resistance. But there should be at £45.00 A THROW. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Just set up a pair of Racing Ralphs using Joes Conversion kit, ran them with tubes before and loved them albeit 3 pinch flats (i'm 14 stone) at 10utb,

Lets see how this set up goes.

Amos
    Free Member

I use nobby nics round swinley and they are superb, I use a high roller and a larsen TT at anywhere rocky sharp etc. I'm 14.5 stone on a good day. As already mentioned depends how and where your riding, neither are sh1te tyres thats a rediculous statment, both brilliant in the right conditions though I'd say I prefer NN's but realise there limitations

DT78
    Free Member

Using NN / RRa 2.25's on the full suss had no problem round welsh trail centres. I think if you good at picking your lines you don't need to worry. I found them a bit nervous in filty conditions ( "Careful Colins")

On the XC Hardtail I'm using RRon / RRa 2.1s very fast I have had the front break away in the dry loose conditions we have at the moment, but have been able to catch it every time (so far….)

I won't be going back to heavier tyres

steve_b77
    Free Member

I've been running NN up front and a RR out back for a few months now, cracking combo for everything I come across.

Granted I don't spend all day barreling through rock gardens, but that's not my thing anyway.

Going to get a NN for the rear when it gets a bit wetter/muddier

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Amos- Do you use them at swinley eveninthe wet or change as its a diffenernt place this time of year to the winter.

Amos
    Free Member

DT78, what bike and how heavy are you mate? Off to afan the weekend and was thinking of trying my NN's, but don't want to waste £40 by ripping them to shred!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Got an NN (1.8") front tyre and a Sauserwind (1.8") S Works rear tyre – seems to work really well, very light, grippy and faaaaast.

MikeWW
    Free Member

I run Rocket Ron front and Racing Ralph rear. Run both in 2.25 Great tyres IMO

Jamesy
    Free Member

NN's all the way for me won't bother using anything else well apart from a swamp thing for when its really muddy . just make sure you get the snakes version if its rocky where you ride.

DT78
    Free Member

13stone, probably best part of 14stone with all the gear.

My susser is a nomad so I give the downs a beating. Had no trouble on skylines steps with NN/RR combo even in the wet. I tend to run 30 odd psi and had no trouble, would go a bit lower if I was riding wet roots.

I haven't spotted the tyres wearing down quickly, but I tend to avoid locking and skidding…

The difference in rolling speed is amazing. Mate on a similar bike (alpine 160) with 2.5 HR's would be pedalling sections and I would just be freewheeling behind him buzzing his tyre.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

DT78 😉
    I got Nomad but not a nutter on it like but if theres a few drops,jumps im up for them LOL..

Gonna try & get decent part worn pair of NN 2.25 off here & give them a blast i think…

VICTORY or DEATH ….
    Again thx to you all for imputs.. :mrgreen:

soops
    Free Member

I have been using Nobby Nics for 10 months with no problem. They seem to have worn well and are fast rolling. Grip seems ok around Cannock and up in Calderdale. I have been running them at around 30-35psi.
    Just bought some Maxxis Larsens for a change. 8)

onewheelgood

I run Ralphs in summer, Nics in winter. The amount of grip the Ralphs give is amazing, and they are very light, very fast. The Nics are just a bit slower, but you get more grip in the soft stuff. I've found wear to be OK – I tend to run higher pressures than many here – 38-40 usually. They are expensive, but nextdaytyres reduce the pain a bit.

MS
    Free Member

I have both.

RR's are really good imo. Got them on the race bike and are really grippy even on muddy courses. I have personally never had a big problem with tyres and think its more just finding a set of tyres you are confident with. Once you get the confidence in them then they will feel good!

Used to run conti speed kings on all my bikes, people would always say they were the wrong tyre if you turned up to a muddy event. However they cleared mud easily and were good it digging in and also very fast rolling. Good tyre but I fancied a change and the speed kings and RR's are the same price.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If you run tubeless, the side walls are thicker.
    Or run these tubeless tyres with tubes?
    Don't see NNicks nearly as much as I do RRalfs at races and events.
    These are pretty much the default tyre it seeks now!

Once the gloop / mud tyres come off the bikes in March-ish, RRalfs go on F & R. 4x tyres for the whole year.

nickf
    Free Member

I have Nobby Nics and they're fine, though not exactly something that will transform your life.

Biggest gripe is sidewall tears – it's quite flinty round our way, and they seem to suffer more than other tyres (and that's with the UST ones, which have strengthened sidewlls).

Given the price and the relative fragility, I'll probably try something else next time I need summer tyres.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

what coogan said

nickc

Used NN front and rear for 9/10 months, rear finally gave out a week or so ago, and replaced it with a Racing Ralph, noticeably faster. Haven't had the sidewall tears that others have had, and they're on my only off road bike, so they've been all over Peaks, Wales Scotchland, etc etc. Expensive, but I'll probably by some more. UST here, low pressure, nicely grippy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nics & Racing Ralph tyres Are they that good…Realy.’ is closed to new replies.