Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Nobby nics – are they ally rubbish, or just me?
  • Pauly

I love NN’s, however they changed the range a couple of years ago from just the Evo to Pacestar (hardest compound), Trailstar (mid-compound) and the Gatestar compound which was designed for 4cross.
    Took the Pacestar off after a couple of rides as they were jsut to hard with what seemed like little or no grip.
    Now running the Gatestar on the front with a Racing Ralph on the back and they are great.
    They are all Tubeless Ready, and are easy to fit and inflate.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I used to run these tubeless before swapping to high rollers and thought they were pretty good in all conditions except slushy mud/snow. In the dry they are great around 25psi but in the wet I found they slithered about a bit too much at these pressures. I used to pump them up to about 28-30 and they handled much better.

DrP

Looking at the German sites, can anyone spot the difference (don’t say a fiver…) between This… and this….

Is it the year of manufacture?

Cheers

DrP

mboy
    Free Member

Nobby Nic’s are essentially a race tyre for not quite perfect conditions races, if that makes sense. They’re light, not very durable, don’t grip very well (in any conditions that I’ve tried) but they are bloody fast for what they are, and give good cushioning owing to their size. They also seal tubeless very well.

I keep a NN/RR combo in the shed for the occasional time I may want to race and need a pair of very fast, large(ish) volume tyres, in conditions that don’t warrant a huge amount of grip.

For those who think they are pretty grippy, try a Black Chili Rubber Queen or a Maxxis Minion out, you’ll be gobsmacked!

M1llh0use
    Free Member

DrP

Colour, black or black-skin

DrP

I give in – google and the schwalbe website are no help….
    Ad the difference there is……?!

DrP

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Pass. Google translate provided the answer!

ndthornton
    Free Member

2.1s are ace. Got the 2.4s for the big bike- also worked ace but wobbly as hell. Looked like I had 2 buckled wheels. Got on my nerves too much so swapped for Hans damp. Some people say if you run them tubeless they don’t wobble?

Oh and yes I tried all the tricks to seat them straight.

kimbers

I had to stick one on the back as my 2.35 hds were too wide in the mud frame clearance – for my last gravity enduro, 2.25 pumped up fairly hard it was much,much faster rolling than the hd, but a bit more skittish, no nasty wash outs though in some very varied conditions, I liked

jezandu
    Free Member

I find my NN (evo snakeskin) grips well and works well used with a RR at the back. It does clog a bit in the more gloppy mud but no problem at trail centres. Run it tubeless on a 21mm inner rim at 20psi (10 stone rider) I’d agree with comments above about it being more a race tyre, and yes it wears down fast 🙁

christhetall
    Free Member

Yeah, they’re light and go up pretty easy (tubeless) but it seems, on all sorts of terrain, they’re naff!

I’ve never had such a struggle getting any tyre to set up tubeless as I have had with NNs. Eventually managed it after several goes over a couple of months (left it with a tube in for a month, then tried it on a different rim, then inflated it with a tube again etc etc)

So I’m hoping it will be worth the effort and that disagree with the second part as much as the first !!!

richmtb

Got a 2.25″ UST on the rear. Its fine, comparable to the Nevegal it replaced but a little lighter. Seems pretty tough too.

Schwalbe tyres seem well made and there are lots around so pricing is okay. I’ll try a Racing Ralph next if an actual summer looks likely this year

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, I have been trying a set out for a couple of weeks now – a day at Cwn Carn XC, Chilterns, Forest of Dean, Woburn and Chicksands.

If anyone wants to buy them from me drop me an email, they are not worn. Im now going back to a HR on the rear and a Minion up front.

They left me slightly scared at Cwn Carn, OK in the Chilterns, sketchy in Woburn and body surfing the corners in the Forest of Dean.

timber

Got a pair on a bike here and they seem to work well for a lot of my local riding and trips I’ve taken the bike on. Mostly upland riding, so a mix of grassed over peat and exposed rock. Not so great in muddy woodlands, but not the worst thing I’ve had on wet roots. Would get them again for here.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve just put some on and rode them over the weekend, Bombing round the local woods.

Really pleased with them.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Nobby nics – are they ally rubbish, or just me?’ is closed to new replies.