• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by P20.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Nobby Nic ~ Which Flavour?
  • P20

The sidewall is going (about to burst if i’m honest) on my Nobby Nic Evo tyre. I do like the tyre but the sidewalls seem quite thin. The Maxxis tyres i’ve used/seen don’t seem to have ths same problem.
    Looking at the Schwalbe range are the Snakeskin or Doubledefense a thicker, more durable sidewall, or do i go for UST?
    I’ll be using them on Stans rims with fluid. Cheers 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

From recent personal experience – I’d say the Snakeskin ones would be very, very tough indeed. The sidewalls are more like a kind of flexible plastic than the paper thin of Evos of old. I didn’t like the look of them, so sent them back (I much prefer paper-thin sidewalls!). One thing I noticed was that the Snakeskin versions appear to blow up a bit thinner than standard Evos – I think the snakeskin means the carcass can’t expand as much.

2011 tubless ready Evos are apparently good for use with fluid – I think the 2010 ‘tubless ready’ versions may have had leakage issues.. Be careful where you order from – there are lots of different versions of this tyre about at them moment! I dunno about UST versions though

honourablegeorge

I’ve all but worn out a set of Snakeskin Evo Nics and I honestly don’t think I ever had a puncture on them, still using one as a front tyre, no issues. I’d deffo go snakeskin.

Hvae 2011 Evo ones now, set up tubeless, perfect.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    P20

Cheers guys. So are the 2011 Evo a stronger/thicker sidewall?

njee20
    Free Member

No, and they can be stupidly tight on newer Stan’s rims too (Crest, Alpine, Podium). The pre-2011 tyres were not tubeless ready, but still worked extremely well converted, all mine are older ones.

The new ones just have a new bead, no change in the carcass. Snakeskin is a bit tougher, Double Defence is the toughest, at the expense of lightweight.

I had some Snakeskins a while back that seemed very good, but if I was always riding somewhere rocky then I’d consider the DD ones.

P20

Cheers njee. I’ve got 2010 evos on crests and 355’s without problems. So it looks like Snakeskins. Actionsports still the best deal?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve just switched to some nics and a Fat albert (front). I bought them from hibike.de and got 2011 snake skin 2.25 Evos.

I put them onto stans Arches with my hands – they were close, but not ‘stupidly tight’ as has been said previously. They inflated 1st time and seem pretty good on the trail. In terms of the snakeskin, they’re not really ‘plasticky’. They seem like a slightly thinner UST sidewall. but I don’t think theres much in it.

P20

Snakeskins ordered. Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic ~ Which Flavour?’ is closed to new replies.