Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • nobby nic ust :(
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

is it just me are these the worst tyres ever over mud/tree type roots etc? the amount of times on recent rides i found myself nearly dying after the front wheel gave way is scary, luckily i managed to clip out on one straight away, not sure how as i was pelting it down at fair speed 🙁

even climbing on the tyres seems like it has no grip in the wet, and more so roots etc.

is this pretty normal on roots, it made me slow right down descending for fear of slippage

they have been class in dryer summer months, now im about worried about the whole of winter with this on the front?

nickc

Just you.

let some pressure out?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

🙁 pressures are already at about 28-30 max on the front 🙁 too low for the wet/mud?? could here lay the problem??

i was hungover yesterday too, which means my head wasnt calculating things quite the same 😆 but still not the first time though…..

br
    Free Member

I’ve found that NN’s are very pressure sensitive, and I guess rim-width sensitive.

Plus they don’t like greasy roots.

organic355
    Free Member

Plus they don’t like greasy roots.

are there any tyres that do? (genuine question, not being sarcastic)

nickc

The ust ones are very pressure sensitive I run mine about 20-25 psi max. (I’m about 75kg). Thechilterns is root city. My nn cope as well if not better than most other tyres

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahhh well perhaps its just roots in general that are the problem? i love them in the dry, they have started off being pretty awful the first sign of mud generel soggyness of late 🙁 i ran one on the back all winter last year and it was fine, and this newer one is still fine on the back, perhaps i just need to get used to having one on the front!

roots = devils work 🙁

Dougal
    Free Member

This and that other thread are a troll: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/horror-story-with-maxxis-high-rollers-in-mud

Don’t brake, let the tyre do it’s job.

br
    Free Member

For the Chilterns, its almost Mud X time.

epicyclo

Have you got the front tyre on the right way round. You sound just like I did.

Then I discovered the front goes the other way round to the back – oops! – but end of problem.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

not a troll…..this is without braking may i add…so the tyre clearly not doing its job!

yeah tyre’ on the correct way has a rotation marking which points in the direction it should go.

EDIT : Just re-read, so you have your front tyre going the opposite rotation of what it says?? arrow pointing forward, you have the arrow pointing backwards when wheel is going forward??

coogan
    Free Member

I found Nobby Nics to be utter shite full stop.

AlexSimon

My nobby nics have two rotation arrows something like this
    “<< rear front >>”

mr_mills
    Free Member

Mine are the latest ones and they just have the one rotation arrow.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah the latest all grounder ones i have are just rotation one arrow? may be worth trying backards i guess, seems weird they havent put it on though if its better a different way?

nickc

For the Chilterns, its almost Mud X time.

Really? Bone dry at the minute

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Try to un weight the front wheel more and hitting the root square if you can, also 9 out 10 times it’s best to ride close to the tree as there tend to be only one or two roots showing, yes it be bigger roots, but it be better to hit 1 or 2 big roots square on then a lot of smaller roots that shot all over the place, if you get my meaning.

mr_mills
    Free Member

Didzy2009 – Member

may be worth trying backwards i guess,

That’s it – try riding backwards!

dobo
    Free Member

i’m not the biggest NN fan but they are ok in mud and rooty situation, highspeed cornering is another issue
    UST’s are better than the normals though, as the week walls on the normal NN arnt supportive enough

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Its just you Didzy. Nobby Nics are fine. Wet roots are slippy no matter what tyre you use.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thats cool then, just i have never noticed it before, but to be honest im riding different places alot these days that tend to have more roots in than where i was riding in the wet/mud last year….ill stick with them, the back one always seems superb! sure ill get used to it! my highrollers were pretty shocking in the mud last year to come to think about it!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

roots = devils work 🙁

blasphemy!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thing is i actually like rooty fast flowy singletrack type riding – IN THE DRY

turn it into a coldish sunday rainy misty afternoon and it becomes almost down right dangerous 🙁

roll on the summer 😆 🙁

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I really like my NNs but run 1.8s and at pretty high pressures.

Light, cope with most conditions, fast rolling and seem to be lasting well.

If anyone does find a tyre that grips roots let me know and I’ll buy a dozen.

garethh
    Free Member

I can rule out furious freds for wet root action – used them yesterday on the merida 100km in Ruthin, quite exciting! I think my back wheel may have done 30% more distance, though I don’t reckon I would have done any better even with mud tyres, I still overtook plenty of people with spiky tyres who were crashing and sliding about. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘nobby nic ust :(’ is closed to new replies.