Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Nobby Nic or Hans Dampf on the rear?
  • dirkpitt74

Looking to sort out some decent tyres for my HT build.

Currently have On-One Chunky Monkey & Smorgasboard on my full susser, which I quite like but had a nightmare getting them on the original rims I had on it which are being migrated over to the HT.

So looking for something else, everyone seems to recommend the Schwalbe combo of Magic Mary (front) and either Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic on the rear.

Out of these which is the better ‘all season’ tyre for the rear?

Oh and which compound – Pace Star or Trails Star?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Something Maxxis?

markspeirs
    Free Member

I’ve had the Magic Mary / Hans Dampf combo on my Bronson V2 for the past few weeks. Love the Mary (trailstar) on the front but not so keen on the Dampf (pacestar) on the back – it’s a bit skittish and struggles with traction I find at times. But, it’s a hell of an improvement over the Nobby Nic it replaced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

But, it’s a hell of an improvement over the Nobby Nic it replaced.

From the ones I’ve tried riding on the rim is 😉
    Just about to try a Maxxis Agressor on the back with a 2.5 Minion on the front, Minion SS suggested for racing, HRII for mixing it up

Fat-boy-fat

The new addix compounds are significantly better than the trail and pace stars they replaced. If you are going for the older compounds, I’d say trail star for definite. The nobby nic will last longer than a hans Dampf on the rear but it depends on your riding what to choose. If you are gritty type riding, the nobby nic. Muddy, go for the hans Dampf. If you use the new compounds, I’d go for hans Dampf speed grip.

andybrad

has to be trailstar imo.

hd rolls better than NN on hard pack and is better on rock.

NN is slightly better in mud than HD.

recently swapped from hd to nn and back to hd.

trusty

NN here, trailstar. I find it doesn’t clog like a Hans, and doesn’t have a life span measured in minutes. I’ve not tried the new compounds though

jimdubleyou

Hans Dampf means Jack of All Trades, not sure if Schwalbe should be done on trades description act for that one 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Master of None?

chakaping
    Free Member

Minion DHR 2 60a rear, HR2 3c front – if not riding that much mud.

dirkpitt74

Thanks guys.
    Mainly ride Cannock with occasional trips to Wales & Peaks if that makes a difference.

jamesfts
    Free Member

HD doesn’t grip to anything particularly well and is draggy has hell. Latest NN rolls much better and offers similar amount of grip. If you ride anywhere remotely rocky or are hard on tyres I’d not touch a NN with a bardge-pole however – they hole/tear far too easily.

If you have to run Schwalbe go Rock Razor or if you’re riding mega-gnar another Mary. Supergravity is a must for me on the back, could maybe get away with just a snake skin up front if you’re careful.

Saying all that – I find a pair Minion DHF/DHR in 3c make a good combo on the hardtail, get them.

JAG

Strangely – I really like the Hans Dampf 😆

I’d recommend it if everyone else hadn’t been so mean 🙁

roverpig

I run Nobby Nic (pacestar) in the summer and Hans Dampf (trailstar) in the winter on the back with a Magic Mary (trailstar) up front all year round. Works for me, but clearly not for everybody 🙂

rocketman
    Free Member

Mainly ride Cannock

[quote]Nobby Nic or Hans Dampf on the rear?[/quote]Neither
    although Rock Razor is good when the place dries out

HRII is what you want this time of year with a Shorty on the front

iian
    Free Member

I’d avoid NN on the rear, found it to be awful under braking. Just locked up no matter what pressure, riding style, surface I was on.

Although my experience was only of pacestar, and not the new addix range. Trailstar / addix could be a different story.

gelert
    Free Member

+1 for @jamesfts

Swap the Rock Razor for a Minion SS though – it’s way better. Awesome rear tyre the SS.
    Latest NN is a much better tyre than old ones. Like a baby Mary up front, way better than HD out front.
    HD clogs bad + draggy – great for fitness though.
    DHF 3c/DHR II 3c combo is superb – my current favourite.
    Mary up front always awesome – even all year round it’s ace up front. Never tried one on the rear.

Never buy PaceStar or Performance Schwalbe unless you want to die.

andybrad

tbh i found little rolling difference between the HD and nn. But found the HD was faster on hardpack.

dallas95
    Free Member

I have just swapped a HD on the rear of my Bird zero to a NN 2.6 apex pacestar. Riding in calderdale so a mix of mud, wet cobbles, gravel and roots. The NN is gripper than the HD but noisier on smoother surfaces.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

NN trailstar on the rear, 2.35. It’s become my winter tyre of choice for the rear (SG Rock razor in the summer) with a SG Magic Mary up front year round.

On the hardtail it’s NN trailstar 2.35 front and 2.25 on the rear. Does really well in the sticky mud and bog we get locally.

The pacestars wear really well but are too skittish for my liking. Performance line is essentially death in wet slippy conditions. I moved away from the Hans dampf as it just didn’t quite shed mud like the Nobby Nic.

hambl90
    Free Member

Butcher front , purgatory rear both with grid sidewalls.

Oblongbob

Another who found the HD to clog very easily as soon as you got near to mud. Was disappointed. Probably worse than a semi-slick for grip in the mud the way it clogged. Have MM on the front. Find the new NN to be fine – not that tough, but decent grip and rolls ok. Just got maxxis tyres on my new bike for the first time (minion ss on rear and HR2 on front) seem skinny in 2.3 form, but I’ll stick with them as everyone says their so good.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I have found the HD really rather good on the back of my bouncy bike in the Lakes. I am obviously not radcore enough though 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

HD supergravity is a great Lakes rear tyre IMO. I do get what people mean about it clogging up in mud though.

dirkpitt74

Thanks chaps.
    Nic & Mary ordered – will give them a go.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic or Hans Dampf on the rear?’ is closed to new replies.