• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by gren.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Nobby Nic 2015
  • mactheknife

Has anyone been running these and if so how did you find them. I’m a big fan of schwalbe tyres and a decent trail tyre has been missing in their lineup. I hated the older version with a passion. Would be good to hear some feedback on these.

Cheers

tor5
    Free Member

Ordered one from bike-discount.de this morning (~£33). Going on the back, with HD on the front. Hoping for a better rolling tyre with pretty similar characteristics to the HD pacestar it’s replacing. Will report back once I’ve fitted (tubeless) ridden it

mactheknife

Cheers. Tor5, would be good to see how you find it

doof_doof
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Everything seems fine and dandy, and the all of a sudden: “Oh sh*t, I’ve got no grip!” That quick slide out is what makes them tricky to ride in the wet.

A confidence inspiring review

takisawa2

I wasn’t blown away by the ones I tried, but that was a year or so back.
    I preffered the predictable letting go of the Ralph to the unpredictable letting go of the Nic, if that makes any sense. 🙂

I’m not a fast rider though.

tor5
    Free Member

Bugger. I had read the pink bike review, but not the update, before deciding to take a punt on them… Fingers crossed it stays dry for a while yet – got away with running a rock razor on yesterday’s ride

iain1775
    Free Member

Found mine good in Peaks on Saturday (only on rear HD up front) on mix of mud roots and rock
    Noticeably faster rolling than the HD it replaced, seemed to grip well and I actually felt more confident than I have for a long time

Went up tubeless first time on Stans Flow rims with minimal track pump effort (after sealing one bead with a tube first)

ali69er
    Free Member

I am going to be running and old 2014 Pacestar on the back and a 2015 trailstar on the front. I am excited about trying this out.

I have always had as much luck with nics as anything else to be honest.

njee20
    Free Member

I wasn’t blown away by the ones I tried, but that was a year or so back.

That’ll be the old one then shirley?

tor5
    Free Member

First impressions…

[list]
    [*]tubeless easy is easy, straight on to mavic XM819 rims, not too tight, no faffing. Easily seated with a track pump
    [/*]
    [*]worked well in the slop, plenty of grip wading through deep mud, I chose a 2.1″ tyre for the back in the hope it would cut through mud a bit better than the 2.35″ HD it replaced. There was always a slight feeling of floating, which was unnerving on boggy descents. Pleased to say my plan seems to have worked
    [/*]
    [*]think I had the pressure about 5 psi too high, the back of the bike was skipping about a bit too much, reducing pressure will hopefully cure skipping
    [/*]
    [*]overall, positive, I think it’s going to do what I want, which is be a good all season tyre for the back of my HT.
    [/*]
    [/list]

mactheknife

Cheers tor5, just noticed this. Think ill get one ordered now 🙂

deanfbm
    Free Member

Any more news on these after a bit of time?

Appear quite light and fast, working out that way?

Flimsy XC casings or a bit of meat?

Looking at a 2.25/2,35 combo for my trail bike.

j3ffo
    Free Member

Just an up-date on these in case anyone was curious:

Am running 2.35F 2.25R Nobby Nic 2015 in 650b. 2 months in and am very impressed so far. Weight is reasonable 705g for the 2.35. Roll better than Hans Dampf and clear better in mud. Grip has been good IMO, quite predictable, possibly not quite as tenacious as the HD or magic mary but a better all rounder.

No problems with snakeskin sidewalls so far. Feel more durable than the previous models and have better support for tubeless. I don’t run silly low pressures but have sealed well with tubeless with minimal loss of pressure and no burping or rolling that I can report.

I have only used pacestar F+R as trailstar compound wasn’t available but performance has been great so far and I won’t be rushing to change. Seem much more durable than previous schwalbe too, almost no signs of wear after 2 months on the rear.

The 2.25 on the rear, is obviously a bit narrower but also has a slightly lower profile. Good for rear but I wouldn’t run it up front on my trail bike. 2.35 is a nice size.

Hope that helps someone.

iainc

Had the older ones on my Soul for a bit, replaced with spesh purgatory’s, which are better in all but dusty conditions. Have 2015 nobby nic/racing Ralph setup on new Anthem, but it was too wet to take on its first ride today 😆

jonnyrockymountain

I took a gamble on the new 2015 snakeskin TLR nobby nic 650×2.25 on my American Classic wide lightening wheels put on the front with a Ron on the rear and after 3 rides in different conditions i’am really impressed!!! If that helps

bennn
    Free Member

Where you all picking the 2015 ones up from?

Looking for a faster rolling 650b rear, so thinking Evo Snakeskin Pacestar 2.25 Tubeless Easy, do I need ‘Double Defence’? What is that anyway?

strike
    Free Member

I got mine from bike-discount.de (they always seem to have the best prices on Schwalbe, deliver VERY fast and have a wide range).

j3ffo
    Free Member

Got mine from Germany too. Double defence adds a layer of puncture protection over the main tread (for thorns etc). As far as I am aware it doesn’t bolster the side wall in anyway.

I have tried the old model in double defence but it wasn’t any improvement as I still punctured it several times. I have standard EVO / Snakeskin at the moment and haven’t had any issues so far after 2 months..

gren
    Free Member

Got mine from bike-discount.de too – Pacestar compound. Not that impressed to be honest. I don’t think they are much different from the old ones. No more drag either to be honest. Using it on the front with an old style NN on the back.

Had a couple of front wheel wash-outs in the mud that have knocked my confidence in them to be honest. That could be more down to the rider than the tyre though.

bennn
    Free Member

Interesting, wasn’t it the sidewalls everyone was having issues with previously?

Just had another look on Bike Discount, they’re only offering Evo Liteskin, or non-Evo Snakeskin in 27.5″, is this the one go go for?

gren
    Free Member

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-nobby-nic-snakeskin-pacestar-27.5×2.25-tl-easy-folding-230064/wg_id-8913

These are the 650b versions of the ones I bought. I’m still behind the times with my tiny wheels.

Don’t worry about the word ‘Evo’ not being in the description. If it says PaceStar/Trailstar or any other ‘Star’ that’s the good stuff.

PS I’ve never had an issue with sidewalls on any Schwalbe tyres but there’s not much pointy stuff where I ride. Mainly loamy/muddy natural trails.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Nobby Nic 2015’ is closed to new replies.