Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Nob End problem. Ethical dilemma.
  • RustySpanner

Went out with Ms Spanner for an explore in the mud and rain yesterday.

We decided to go and have a look at the old footbridge at Nob End to see if it had reopened yet.

It hadn’t, but we did find some really pleasant little trails, seemingly made by the local yoot: Tight, twisty singletrack, not yet ruined by the local crossers.
    So we got stuck in and spent a pleasant half an hour or so exploring before riding off to Moses Gate and Starmount.

Only remembered afterwards that Nob End is an SSSI, containing some rare herbs and orchids 😳

So, what to do? If we keep riding the trails and paths already there, surely we won’t be causing any more damage?

Or should we just forget about the place and leave it to the BMX’ers (who are obviously going to keep using it) and dog walkers?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Nob End problem. Ethical dilemma.

So much potential…. <sigh> 😆

warton
    Free Member

I really didn’t see this post turning out the way it has.

geoffj

SFB to the forum please!

Harry_the_Spider

We know the trails around the old footbridge as “Itchy and Scratchy” because of the damage that they can do to your skin/clothing. The only herb that i’ve encountered round there is the skunk that wafts up from the night fishermen.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

be responsible in teh Scottish access sense? No needless damage, don’t use when wet and damage likely, don’t stray off the paths?

Are there rare animals you will be scaring or only plants?

RustySpanner

Good aren’t they?

‘Specially that one down by the river with the nice uphill right hander at the end.

You’re right about the thorns though – not the place for pricey waterproofs.

Ever been round Starmount?
    Another bit we found by accident yesterday.

We turned right down Radcliffe Road after leaving Moses Gate by the exit after the farm, then headed left following a bridleway which wound us all the way through to the Chinese Delight on Bury New Road.

Not a classic by any means, but worth an explore on a wet Sunday afternoon.

RustySpanner

Are there rare animals you will be scaring or only plants?

Just rats, staffies and Bolton fans.

wors

I commute that way home sometimes from Bury, 10/11 miles off road just riding down canal towpaths, a bit of cheek, dodging scum from farnworth/breightmet. It’s great!

portlyone

I wouldn’t ride on an SSSI. Plenty of other places to go explore

derek_starship
    Free Member

RS – you can reach the confluence of the Rivers Croal and Irwell on those trails. Best seen from the other side but still worth a look.

Lots of HHBs (head height brambles) so glasses are advisable in itchy/scratchy.

D0NK

Ever been round Starmount?

Hmm not sure where you mean from your description but feel I should know it (practically my backyard)

mansonsoul
    Free Member

It’s alright, the Government has decided SSI’s aren’t important enough not to build railway lines, roads, factories and houses on, so I’m sure no one could object to anyone riding a bike on one?

RustySpanner

DONK, if you have a look on Google Maps, we left Moses Gate, headed up to the B6209 Radcliffe Road and turned right.

Loads of bridleway signs off to the left, which we tried to follow but most of them were blocked due to a gas main problem.

Eventually turned left then right through an old farm called ‘Crows Nest’.
    Then headed north east, then north between two housing estates, folowing the little trail between Brinks Lane and Somerton Road, bringing us out on Bury New Road opposite the Chinese Restaurant.

Not brilliant trails by any means, just urban offroad, but interesting because we just had no idea they were there and it just gives another off road option.

Cheers for that Derek, will have a look.
    Camera time!

D0NK

ah right think I can see where you mean, will keep an eye out for that, could be a starter for plotting a route straight up to rammy.

wors

ah right think I can see where you mean, will keep an eye out for that, could be a starter for plotting a route straight up to rammy.

Dead easy that to Bury Dave, i think there a some paths up through burrs country park too.

hairyscary

All those little paths and mini bmx track were there 25+ years ago when I used to ride my bmx. If they were causing problems for the orchids I’m sure the country park would have done something about them. Carry on riding them, I do when I’m down that way.

Gilles

Well my girlfriend is a botanist, and her passion is spending week end exploring all those SSSIs in and around our county. So each time she saw some nice rare plants or potential ground for rare plants trashed by bike tyres, she has the same feeling as you when you discovered that your favorite trail has been closed down or trashed by bulldozer, trial bikes, 4×4,etc… I had probably ridden SSSI in the past, but I now accept I was wrong and people have other passion than just mountain biking.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Well i remember when an environment agency official came down to visit a local farmer whose land we use for motorcycle trials, they found some rare orchid species and told the farmer about the restrictions they were going to impose on his land.
    The farmer then took said official to his vehicle wash down area where the “delicate” orchids were springing up all over the place thanks to the farm vehicles spreading them nicely with their big muddy tyres.
    So sorry but i think riding on already established trails can’t cause any “destruction of rare plants” Nature is tough as old boots FFS!

D0NK

Dead easy that to Bury Dave, i think there a some paths up through burrs country park too

Tried following irwell valley last year, didn’t go too well after bury. Local knowledge needed I reckon. Was thinking more ainsworth affetside direction. Just an idea, winter exploring stuff.

HermanShake
    Free Member

You know the answer…it’s a SSSI! As said, plenty more places to ride. It doesn’t matter that others will use it, you 2 not choosing to means 4 less wheels there.

wors

Was thinking more ainsworth affetside direction. Just an idea, winter exploring stuff.

It’s a bit lean on paths up there, i know a few though 😉

Gilles

so if nature is tough, why do we need SSSI? Do you think biodiversity keep expanding? Rare plants do not limit to orchids, and to be fair, orchids probably need disturbance to spread themselves around. Don’t want a fight, just want you having a thought about it, and ditch it if you think it’s nonsense.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So sorry but i think riding on already established trails can’t cause any “destruction of rare plants” Nature is tough as old boots FFS!

of course nature has devekoped amethod for beinfg protected by tyre damage and obvioulsy man has no impact on nature …very wise words could you just explain about the tough old Dodo ? the threatened tigers etc as you seme to suggest we cant harm nature by our actions which is laughably false. I would not rid eone even though others will they have the status for a reason

Harry_the_Spider

I know the area around Rusty’s Nob End (ffnarr) very well and have been riding it on and off for 15 years (gruntle, snibbit etc). There is nothing there to advertise that it is a SSSI area, first I knew of it was this thread!

If they want to protect it it may be an idea to put some signage up.

On a different subject the land behind my house is a SSSI (no signs). They were going to build on it until a bunch of rare newts were found. I know the bloke who found them, he was also the bloke that put them there in the first place. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Nob End problem. Ethical dilemma.’ is closed to new replies.