Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)
  • No Wiggo for the TdF ?
  • fatboyslo
    Free Member

+1 to hora comment above

my enthusiasm is much reduced without Wiggins.

Sorry but I really struggle to comprehend this attitude ..

My thoughts have changed from

Incredulity , when I first heard that Yorkshire was bidding
    to
    Doubt, When it was confirmed they were bidding .. doubt it would ever happen
    to
    Disbelief ( in the best possible way ) when it was announced that Le Grande Depart was coming to Yorkshire
    to
    UTTER AMAZEMENT when I hear the stage 1 finish would be less than 1 km from home

and as it gets closer my anticipation level just keeps growing, I really couldn’t care if Wiggins, Froome or any one else is or is not riding, though it would be good to see Ben Swift riding on what are practically home roads and I do hope Cav gets to pull on the YELLOW JERSEY on the Stray, now that would be something special to top it all off

aracer
    Free Member

For Sky? How much of their business is outside the UK?

This is what it boils down to, however much the Froome fanboys like atlaz might protest otherwise.

scaredypants

who will rightly conclude that the only reason Wiggins isn’t riding is because Froome doesn’t like him.

This is what it boils down to

Sky can’t get the 2 to ride as a team. I doubt it’s all down to Froome

aracer
    Free Member

Wiggo appears to be willing to ride with and for Froome…

scruff9252

An interesting response to all this from Oleg Tinkov this morning too;

“Oleg Tinkov ?@olegtinkov 55m
    How can Bradley Wiggins to end up being in yellow jersey? Sign with @tinkoff_saxo and wear all year long :-)”

atlaz
    Free Member

Wiggo APPEARS to be willing to ride with and for Froome…

My emphasis. Hard to know either way unless he’s in it.

As an aside, for those who think that Wiggins should get a chance and if he’s leading should be given a chance to win, what do they think about the 2011 Vuelta?

scaredypants

aracer:
    Wiggo appears to be willing to ride with and for Froome…

Purely from the BBC quotes today (having presumably heard that he’s out) or have you more than that ? Regardless, I doubt your evidence is as extensive as Brailsford’s.

By the same standards, have you got a ref for Froome saying he doesn’t want wiggo just because he doesn’t like him ?

I can imagine the conversation now:
    “Chris, I’ve lined up one of the best all-round riders of recent years to act with Richie as your support and he’s willing to ride with and for you. His support is unconditional; we can use him as we see fit to maximise your chances of victory as he is happy to sacrifice any of his own chances for the cause”
    “Nah, I don’t really like him”
    “Oh, OK – I’m sure the Murdochs will be happy with that”

Maybe if you replace the word “like” with “trust” ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

:lol:Wiggo to Tinkoff for 2015..

Yup, you read it here second.. 😆

It’s all about the win, to be fair to Brad I think he has it to win, but I suspect Froome also has the chance, good gameplay here in the media scramble which gets column inches and pixels.

The Tours the Tour, Sky only play a part in it, there are a few other teams that could rumble Skys plan, I’m hoping the Mov boys move in and desimate the Peloton..

Big up ValvPiti 😆

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As an aside, for those who think that Wiggins should get a chance and if he’s leading should be given a chance to win, what do they think about the 2011 Vuelta?

In hindsight yes Froome should have been given his shot but its not really the same scenario.

At the 2011 Vuelta Wiggins was still rightly the crux of sky’s 5 year masterplan and the team knew his best shot would be the following year they wouldn’t want to disrupt that plan that by allowing Froome who only really emerged as a serious GC contender during that vuelta off the leash. From reading various accounts everyone including Froome himself was a little surprised at how well he went at that race.

Personally I would let them ride, allow Brad some freedom to try and make gains in the early stages whilst the bulk of the squad protect Froome, then make Wiggins Froomes last man in the mountains, if he’s able to limit his losses they can sort it out in the ITT on the day before Paris.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry but I really struggle to comprehend this attitude ..

@fatboyslo
    – I can only try and explain, Wiggins is our national cycling hero, rightly knighted for his achievements over a long and successful career. Likewise is my view of Cavendish with his record. Sky was a pro team GBR as far as I was concerned, now its just another team. Have no doubt I’m very happy that the TdF is starting in the UK, it’s great for cycling but to do so without Wiggins is a very big disappointment and it definitely takes a lot away from the event for me.

atlaz
    Free Member

This is what it boils down to, however much the Froome fanboys like atlaz might protest otherwise.

I couldn’t care less if Wiggins rides or not, I just find the screaming hysteria about “Wiggo” a massive pile of crap. He’s a good road cyclist, one of the best on his day but if he wasn’t British nobody would be complaining about his lack of inclusion. Froome I’m kind of “meh” about but the vitriol heaped on him seems out of place for a bloke just riding his bike and pretty well at that. Nobody seems to be suggesting he’s not a better rider than Wiggins, just that somehow his personality flaws (perceived or real) invalidate his ability.

Sky is a dispassionate organisation. I’m sure they’ve worked out the possible combinations of riders and the good/bad each one brings and have picked what they consider to be the team giving them the best chance of a third consecutive victory.

I’m not going to be willing Froome on unless it’s him vs. Valverde or Contador at the end of the race and if Quintana had been in the Tour I’d have been more likely to support him as he’s a genuinely exciting rider.

swavis

I don’t dislike Froome but I think I’ll stick a tenner on Nibali just to keep me interested 😉

dazh

Personally I would let them ride, allow Brad some freedom to try and make gains in the early stages whilst the bulk of the squad protect Froome, then make Wiggins Froomes last man in the mountains, if he’s able to limit his losses they can sort it out in the ITT on the day before Paris.

+1 I don’t see why they both can’t be in the same team irrespective of their personal feelings towards each other. They’re supposed to be pros for god’s sake. Going back to football, didn’t Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham not speak to each other for 4 years yet still played very successfully together in the same Man Utd team?

Looking at it another way, could team Sky be accused of ‘fixing’ the result by excluding someone who can compete for the GC? Even though it’s a ‘team’ sport in the end the victory is for the individual.

tobymc

He’s not riding – just heard on midday news.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You don’t say!

edhornby

all this stuff about froome can’t ride cobbles is suspect

He’s an ex mountainbiker
    he’s a strong TTer
    Stannard and Geraint will be there with him
    He’ll do prep cos DaveB isn’t going to miss that trick
    the course won’t go through the arenberg trench, there will be pave but the last course wasn’t as mental as everyone expected

everyone said this about Contador but he stuck it to Armstrong and only lost a minute right at the end because he had a slow puncture and chose to ride on it rather than swap a wheel (no team car just mavic neutral)

it would be good to see Wiggo at the vuelta but it may be a bit too late in the season to carry form…

dazh

He’s an ex mountainbiker

You are Phil Liggett and I claim my £5 🙂

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

toby mc – Member

POSTED 30 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

We’ll I did tell you all a few days ago…

Then the fanboys kicked in. A lot goes on in Elite sport…..

warton
    Free Member

all this stuff about froome can’t ride cobbles is suspect

🙄

I did point out that of course he can ride, but, will he be comfortable on the pave? No, he won’t. He can practice all he wants, there’s no substitute for race experience, of which he has none, I think.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

If you read the article he actually says

Sir Bradley Wiggins says he will not be competing in this year’s Tour de France “as things stand”.

Wiggins told the BBC: “The team is focused around Chris Froome.

“I am gutted. I feel I am in the form I was two years ago. Now if I want to go to the Tour again, the reality is that I might have to go elsewhere.”

So read into the last sentence what you will but his contract does expire at the end of the year so is it a ” Come and get me plea ?

Sounds a bit that way to me

jambalaya
    Free Member

@fatboyslo – it’s a bit of both, “a come and get me” and a warning to Sky that should they want to keep him they have to promise him something for the TdF. Fact is he is running out of time age wise and that’s one reason I am so disappointed this time round as I think he’s a genuine contender, Yorkshire start, all good.

Junkyard
    Free Member

He’s an ex mountainbiker
    You are Phil Liggett and I claim my £5

CHAPEAU 😆

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

If Wiggo ain’t riding it makes it a whole load easier for me with my Nibali man crush! I really wanted to see Wiggo on the team, it would have been great (however insanely unlikely) to see him take the win from under Froome’s nose.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

it would have been great (however insanely unlikely) to see him take the win from under Froome’s nose.

And probably the reason he isn’t going…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

No doubt, Froome can’t trust Wiggo as he’s proved himself untrustworthy, he’s tarring Wiggo with his own shitbagness…

Klunk
    Free Member
    aP
    Free Member

Yes, is it just possible that Bradley’s trying to manipulate people instead?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Klunk – Brailsford had no choice other to make that statement, otherwise it looks like he’s not in charge. IMO Brailsford has made his decision to exclude Wiggins from the TdF team but he’s just not announced it as there could be an injury / issue during the Dauphine.

butcher

@Klunk – Brailsford had no choice other to make that statement, otherwise it looks like he’s not in charge. IMO Brailsford has made his decision to exclude Wiggins from the TdF team but he’s just not announced it as there could be an injury / issue during the Dauphine.

It does sound that way. He’s being very careful with his words.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think it calls for a massed boycott of the TDF this year……either that or get the tacks out for Froome! 👿

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

anyone suggesting wiggins should be at the tour actually watch the Dauphine today?!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Anyone suggesting wiggins should be at the tour actually watch the Dauphine today?!

Of course not…Froome was riding! 👿

jobro
    Free Member

Anyone suggesting wiggins should be at the tour actually watch the Dauphine today?!

Of course not…Froome was riding!

Interesting that Richie Porte’s form still seems below his normal levels looking at his performance today at the Dauphine.
    Wiggo for number 2 to Froome?

oldboy
    Free Member

Froome. Not one of us, is he?

Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘No Wiggo for the TdF ?’ is closed to new replies.