Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • No thanks, £10k isnt enough
  • nedrapier

So toys, you think that on the last ball of a potential 147, after controlling the position of the white perfectly for 36 balls, he suddenly ran out of position and the pink was the only one he could get in, even though he really wanted the black? Doesn’t sound likely.

Edit – didn’t get my facts straight here – wasn’t the last ball. clearly the game was already won though.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what he did. I think it displays integrity with his idea of what snooker should be about.

and he’s done it before:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2010/sep/21/ronnie-o-sullivan-snooker

aracer
    Free Member

[/quote]

You quote the right bit, but don’t appear to have comprehended and bolded the wrong bit, let’s try again:

O’Sullivan, 40, potted 14 reds and 13 blacks before opting for an easier pink as he made a 146 to beat Barry Pinches 4-1 in the first round.

By my calculation Barry Pinches needed 18 snookers at the point Ronnie went for the “easier pink”. I think the frame was probably secure.

I can see why he did it, and he has a point – what’s more, a lot more people are now talking about a 146 than they would be about a 147, so he did the organisers a favour.

Harry_the_Spider

Work of genius. The Welsh Open is all over the news, people are even talking about it on MTB forums, and the prize pot has increased.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Special you say huh, total bulS&%t

Special is some one having the gift of saving a life or a doctor carrying out treatment to enhance a life, ever been on a children’s cancer ward?? the nurses and doctors there are Special & the kids even more so.

What a knob, he’s lost touch with reality.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

He’s just letting the prize pot grow. It’s taken a year to get to 10K so no point resetting it now.

It’s akin to cashing out on your acca bet, he took a gamble that he might win it further down the line when it’s more money.

Don’t see the issue.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

What about the guy who stuck £xx at 10 : 1 or whatever on a 147 , bet he is pretty cheesed off!!! Some people cover this in most tournaments as some cover the 9 darter in a tournament.

toys192
    Free Member

By my calculation Barry Pinches needed 18 snookers at the point Ronnie went for the “easier pink”. I think the frame was probably secure.

Ok, to me the “easier pink” implied he wanted to take less of a risk with the frame- a 147 is 15 reds, 15 blacks and all the colours after, if he had done 14 R and 13 B then instead of risking going for another B it was easier to pot the pink right? That’s where he reduced his risk. Fair enough it may not have been that, but the report said he went for the easier pink and I interpreted this as winning rather than glory at all costs. I guess it depends on your impression of what you were risking..
    I appreciate it was probs already won, but maybe its these small margins that make the difference.

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s a game, he made a decision that makes the entire tournament more interesting for (nearly) everyone.

did you know 5 correct numbers in the lottery only bags you a grand these days? Hardly seems worth it does it?

gordimhor

Well done Ronnie money isn’t King 🙂 Still wouldn’t make me watch snooker though

konabunny
    Free Member

What a knob, he’s lost touch with reality.

what does he think snooker is, some sort of game?

mrhoppy

For the last few years there has been a high break prizes as well as the maximum break pot, I assume it’s the same this year. High break prize is £2k and he’s going to be in the driving seat for that with a 146, its not worth him risking that I that set for the sake of maybe gaining £10k for a maximum he might not achieve. If it had been £20k then maybe it would have been worth the risk.

andyrm
    Free Member

I fully back him – it’s a pretty strong stand to ensure the pot stays in favour of the players rather than the promoters.

Funny how there’s so much noise on this forum about “race to the bottom” etc, but the minute a public figure makes a stand to protect an earnings pot for either himself or his peers, he’s apparently lost touch.

Fair play to Ronnie – he’s a character and brings lots to the sport. And for that, he should be able to command the revenues, not the promoters.

aracer
    Free Member

When you mention small margins, are you still talking about the 18 snookers needed?

toys192
    Free Member

When you mention small margins, are you still talking about the 18 snookers needed?

Exactly. 😆

I’m still waiting for my apology from Junkyard for accusing me of being somebody else..

aracer
    Free Member

Particularly harsh accusing you of being TZF I thought 😉

nedrapier

http://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/35586231

“Without personality and characters, sport dies,” Hearn told BBC Radio 5 live. “O’Sullivan is the biggest character in the sport.”

Five-time world champion O’Sullivan had scored 80 in the break when he asked an official what the prize was for the highest break. He also asked the commentary box for information and looked visibly disappointed when told he could win up to £12,000.

Hearn, who initially criticised O’Sullivan’s actions, said players had no obligation to go for certain shots and ‘The Rocket’ had not broken any rules.

“Some have said he has brought the game into disrepute but Ronnie brings the game into fine repute,” Hearn said on Tuesday.

“In his little head, he thought it would be funny. He is quite dry. The 147 is a the pinnacle but Ronnie has made loads of them, he has got loads of money.

“He is the biggest character in the sport. When he breaks the rules, he gets punished, in this case, it was his choice.

“No-one is bigger than the game but Ronnie is close because he is a fabulous player and a fun personality.

“Without personality and characters, sport dies,”

Quite right!

toys192
    Free Member

Particularly harsh accusing you of being TZF I thought

I don’t mind the accusation, it was the associated vitriol..
    I think it’s pretty obvs who I am.
    Also I don’t know who TZF/Zoofighter is, I feel like I am missing out on something.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for my apology from Junkyard for accusing me of being somebody else

Not read since then Happy to accept you are not he but it did read like his style and the memeber start date made my spider sense twingle. Still going to keep this thread though …..just in case 😉

. Its really no big deal that doesn’t require vitriol or ad hom

Junky opined worthlessly

Both you with the later coming before your appeal
    I did not start it but clearly I did contribute after your gambit.

Can I demand an apology now 😛

toys192
    Free Member

Junky opined worthlessly

which came after you accused me of making stuff up? I hardly started anything.

And it could be construed as humour, your response was unequivocal, unlike your apology, or lack of. It is a mark of a man to admit when he was wrong. If you look at my profile you will find many examples of me rolling over.

PS demand what you like I got mine in early

I’m sorry to have peeved you so much over a chat about some snooker.

PPS just for clarity, nothing in this post is intended to be funny.

Junkyard
    Free Member

So i apologised and you still had a pop whilst asking for an end to vitriol 😆
    It is indeed the mark of a man whether they apologise and how they react to an apology. IMHO its a bit childish to demand an apology if you have no intention of accepting it. I shall leave others to judge the baddy in
    FWIW your claim was still taken out of context, required you to ignore the preceding and succeeding paragraphs and was not the correct reason as stated by me, Ronnie and other posters.

Perhaps a better turn of phrase, from me, would have helped. I would apologise again but , given you will still have a go, what would be the point

PPS just for clarity, nothing in this post is intended to be funny.

Good news you were successful 😉

Odd thing to add an as an edit. i think we all got your vitriol.

toys192
    Free Member

I haven’t seen an apology where is it?
    You made an excuse and a hedging statement that you are happy to accept I am who I say I am but your keeping the thread just in case? Where are the words “sorry” or “I apologise”.
    I don’t demand anything anyway, I expected, please do not apologise. I don’t care, I have learned something important about you today.

FWIW your claim was still taken out of context, required you to ignore the preceding and succeeding paragraphs and was not the correct reason as stated by me, Ronnie and other posters.

is irrelevant, it was left up to aracer to point out why my assertion was wrong.

cheers_drive

The Rack Pack on iplayer is worth a watch for a bit of 80s snooker nostalgic entertainment

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘No thanks, £10k isnt enough’ is closed to new replies.