Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • No thanks, £10k isnt enough
  • mulv1976
    Free Member

I know Ronnie can be a bit temperamental but is it just me that thinks he’s taking the piss a bit here?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/35581281

butcher

Heard this on the radio earlier. Made me chuckle a bit. Probably some really stupid egotistical reason for it. But quite funny still.

timc
    Free Member

EGO!! If it was worth more it would be more…

He could have given it to charity if he didn’t want it!

headfirst
    Free Member

40% of UK average earnings for less than an hour’s “work” not enough ? He is royally taking the piss and showing he’s out of touch with reality.

djflexure

Hardly hurt anybody and probably produced even more entertainment along the way
    We all have our price

Alpha1653

What got me was him saying that a 147 was a special thing to achieve but that £10k wasn’t enough. If it’s special, then he should have done it for the kudos alone… I know nothing about snooker but this guy just made himself sound like a complete nob.

eddie11
    Free Member

its a bit cheap compared to what snooker players used to be getting. nice little protest. I think he is taking the piss yes. in a good way 🙂

This is all part of why hes so great. Like when he plays left handed for a laugh and still wins. Both higgins were good, davis, hendry but i think hes the best theres ever been and ever will be for the forseeable. Just enjoy every minute of it.

eddie11
    Free Member

when you’ve done this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpeBugHSCnU any other 147s must seem a bit meh.

not the first time hes turned a 147 done either:

mulv1976
    Free Member

I get the impression that he generally just enjoys annoying Barry Hearns

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can see both sides

No winners here.

Denis99
    Free Member

The “people’s champion” who loves to entertain and please the snooker public strikes again.

No doubting he is one of the greatest snooker players of all time, but is is a bit of a knob.

Used to keep on about giving up snooker, i wish he did really – bit of an attention seeker.

no regard for the public and sponsors who pay his wages, remember the towel over his face match.

Won’t watch him on the tv these days.

He’s not doing snooker any favours.
    one day he might look back in regret about all his antics.
    Regards

Denis

sc-xc

On the contrary. He is doing a massive favour for snooker.

Biggest box office in the game, and no one can deny he is the most exciting to watch…on his game or not.

We’re not talking about any of the other players on this cycling forum.

I’m on his side. Nice to have some characters back in snooker.

nealglover
    Free Member

Pah, 147 !

155 is where it’s at.

Denis99
    Free Member

he could have donated the £10,000 to charity if he thought it was beneath his professional status.

Or he could have donated the £10,000 to the refuge crisis, or he could have helped up and coming snooker players struggling.

I think he could have made a “statement” and had much more support from everyone if he took this approach.

He’ll probably say he just wants to go running next week….
    Regards

Denis

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

f.l.o.w. s.t.a.t.e.

…amazing to watch.

JulianA
    Free Member

Having read the article on the BBC website about this I completely agree with Ronnie O’Sullivan’s reasoning.

djglover
    Free Member

+1. Good on him. Why let the promoters set the rate.

dooosuk
    Free Member

The £10k is a rolling pot. Every tournament it’s not won it increases. He’s waiting for it to increase, making it more of a prize in the future.

He already has the record for most tournament 147’s, so nothing to chase there.

I like him. Flawed genius and ever the entertainer. If he wasn’t playing, snooker would be depressingly boring. Robertson, Selby and the likes just don’t cut it in the personality stakes really.

Easy to call him a knob and an attention seeker, but he has some serious depression and daemons he has always battled.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

He could have given it to charity if he didn’t want it!

The organisers still can if they feel hard done by.

He’s right though; £10k for a 147 is peanuts, not just for Ronnie but every player. If some “lesser” player was to make a 147 it might be the hilight of his career. The sponsors will reap big dividends, especially if an unknown does it, but instead of reaping a life changing bonus, the unknown may only just about cover his expenses for the year.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Doesn’t need the money, someone else might get it, don’t see the problem.

konabunny
    Free Member

showing he’s out of touch with reality.

Why does he need to be in touch with reality? He’s a snooker player, not the Minister for Health.

toys192
    Free Member

Umm the public’s reaction to this is a reaction to the way its been spun, rather than the facts. The point was going for the 147 was a risk, he took the easier pink to secure the win. Going for the 147 would have been the pointless, narcissistic self aggrandisement thing to do, as he could have thrown the game just for side trophy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he took the easier pink to secure the win.

Well he said he did this because the 147 was not worth the 10 k .
    Still you make things up, ignore the reason he stated and then accuse others of “spin” rather than using facts

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s up to him what he does – does have a habit of doing knobbish things though, but isn’t that part of what makes a so-called “peoples’ champion”?

gobuchul
    Free Member

he took the easier pink to secure the win

as he could have thrown the game just for side trophy

I am not a snooker expert and was out late last night but how does that work?

mrhoppy

What I’ve not send was whether the frame was secure. If it wasn’t then it could be interpreted as the £10k wasn’t enough to tempt him to try the riskier shot instead of guaranteeing winning, fair enough. If the frame was secure and its seems a bit churlish but its his call whatever and there’s no point in getting pissy.

andyfla
    Free Member

Should have been banned from the game for the whole bribe taking a while back, esp as he never reported it

jimdubleyou

Really? The millionaire sportsman with a known “bonkers” streak is out of touch with reality?

Who’d a thunkit

bikebouy
    Free Member

£10k for 1/2hrs work seems fine to me.

sc-xc

I reckon the frame was probably secure. He had potted 13 reds/blacks!

gobuchul
    Free Member

What I’ve not send was whether the frame was secure

What? He had scored over 100 and just had the colours left.

retro83
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member

£10k for 1/2hrs work seems fine to me.

Half an hour plus a life time of practice to become the best in the world at it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

What? …and just had the colours left.

Well that’s bollocks. After potting the pink he still had to pot another red and another black before the colours.

toys192
    Free Member

Junky opined worthlessly:

Still you make things up, ignore the reason he stated and then accuse others of “spin” rather than using facts

When I got my facts from the BBC report quoted by the op. First line.

O’Sullivan, 40, potted 14 reds and 13 blacks before opting for an easier pink as he made a 146 to beat Barry Pinches 4-1 in the first round.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Hey top trolling there as the actual facts are indeed worthless.

Welcome back trolling zoo fighter welcome back.

Shame you did not read the paragraphs either side of that quote that you claim is the first line 😆

Ronnie O’Sullivan was criticised by World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn for turning down the chance of a maximum 147 break at the Welsh Open because the £10,000 prize money was “too cheap”.

O’Sullivan, 40, potted 14 reds and 13 blacks before opting for an easier pink as he made a 146 to beat Barry Pinches 4-1 in the first round.

He told BBC Sport: “If it had been more, I’d have gone for the 147.”

Anyway I have better things to do that debate with someone who will kick my ass [ and everyone elses] and argue black is blue etc

Sorry for your issues re kids and divorce, Its gets easier and stay in it for the sake of your kids

I learnt this the hard way but sarcasm and antagonism does not make the outcome better for anyone in a divorce.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Whose?

toys192
    Free Member

zoo fighter?
    I’m not sure where this vitriol is coming from, if you want to point out where I’ve misinterpreted it please do so, but you’ve just waded in accusing me of making things up, when I replied to the report as stated and now you come back with with two AD homs. I’m sorry to have peeved you so much over a chat about some snooker.

edit Divorce? WTF are you on about?

Sorry for your issues re kids and divorce, Its gets easier and stay in it for the sake of your kids

I learnt this the hard way but sarcasm and antagonism does not make the outcome better for anyone in a divorce.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if you want to point out where I’ve misinterpreted it please do so,

I did its either side of your quote.

ANyone with basic comprehension skills can see, for he admitted it, that he did it deliberately

You can deny this and deny who you are as much as you like

MSP

Oh no, my boss offered me some overtime this evening and I turned it down, now someone else is doing it, I am such an egotist.

toys192
    Free Member

You can deny this and deny who you are as much as you like

JY I’m not denying anything, its a discussion point about what he said and how its presented. I’m happy to be wrong, I see it a different way. Its really no big deal that doesn’t require vitriol or ad hom.

I am (was) toys19, I scrambled my email in a fit of pique so can’t reset my password. I asked the mods to fix it, they didn’t bother, so I started a new profile as close to my old ID as possible. I made this clear in my profile by adding a link to my old profile, I have referred to my old profile when necc (in the two for sale posts I have made).

This link is for a post I made two years ago http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stolen-on-one-macinato-blue-exeter#post-5540360

If you read post 5440360 you can clearly see I give my email. Please feel free to test it and see if I reply.

I expect your apology.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘No thanks, £10k isnt enough’ is closed to new replies.