Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 'No support vehicles allowed on these premises'
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

So ten hardy souls are doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks, you know, Penyghent, Whernside then Ingleborough, basically a 24 mile hike over some large hills. I’m driving the van full of water & stuff & when I meet them at The Old Hill Inn to be greeted by a sign saying, ‘No support vehicles allowed on these premises’. This was at 16.00hrs yesterday. The place is shut till 18.30hrs & there’s not a soul around.
    On their website it mentions loads about the local area & also the fact that you might want to do the 3 peaks but doesn’t say that you can’t park your support vehicle there for a few minutes even though they might sell some produce (if it was open that is)
    I still parked up anyway cos I was feeling rebellious & had done 2 good rides waiting for the slow folk on foot.

fact is, if I was ever up there again (which I probly will be) I’ll pop up the road to Ribblehead & give the pub there my business!

That’s it really, just thought I’d mention it. 😐

Drac

I can see where they’re coming from if hour handing out food and drink on their premises then they’re not getting the advantage of the business.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

But it was closed.
    & how many single 3 Peakers pass by…when it’s shut & who’d be welcome of some scran & a drink?

Drac

Are they supped to state the times you can do it?

My guess is it was becoming an issue so they decided to take action, if it’s a private car park then they can make that call. Lots of pubs have signs up saying spaces for customers only.

nealglover
    Free Member

Seems fair enough to me really.

That’s it really, just thought I’d mention it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just an open space at the front of the pub & almost on the road, could understand if the place was open 11.00 till 23.00 with loads of customers passing by but….

Anyway, I’ll give it a miss even if I’m not driving the ‘support vehicle’

mrmo
    Free Member

Seem to be a lot of pubs all over who don’t want car parking taken by non customers. In fact most shops don’t want you in their carpark if they aren’t getting something in return.

Moses

A couple of points: there’s nowt to stop you from parking on the road just by. The walk goes a couple of hundred yards from the pub anyway.

And I don’t much like the Ribblehead attitude to cleanliness or welcome, either. If ever a near-monopoly was abused, it’s there.

MSP

Imagine you are out enjoying the countryside, looking for a pleasant pub to stop at, you see one, but there’s a load of red socks milling around outside (you know the type who think they are hardy souls but can’t stroll 24 miles without a support vehicle).
    Faced with that horror you would drive on and stop elsewhere, so you can’t blame the owners really.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do I really have to repeat myself?
    It.
    Was.
    Closed.

(you know the type who think they are hardy souls but can’t stroll 24 miles without a support vehicle).
    Sorry, didn’t realise you were ex 42 Commando.

Have you done that ‘stroll’ MSP?

mrmo
    Free Member

It.
    Was.
    Closed.

And? do you know if they had a party arranged? a delivery? just because somewhere isn’t open to the public doesn’t mean that they don’t need the car park. How do they know whether your going to be there a couple of minutes or a couple of hours.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

how many single 3 Peakers pass by…when it’s shut & who’d be welcome of some scran & a drink?

Not enough for it to be worth staying open obviously.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well because by the time we’d naffed off it was still deserted. (if a party or delivery was arranged I kinda think someone would’ve been around, don’t you?) Although I didn’t actually know for sure. 🙄

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not enough for it to be worth staying open obviously.

+ 1.

So why the ban of support vehicles?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

So why the ban of support vehicles?

Because the owners of the pub don’t want them on their land?

Drac

It.
    Was.
    Closed.

Are they supped to state the times you can do it?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Because the owners of the pub don’t want them on their land?

What like a ‘landowner’? (cheeky trails content approaching)

Mister-P
    Free Member

I would imagine the sign is still there when the pub is open too. You parked, no one told you to move. All a bit of a non-event really.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

What like a ‘landowner’? (cheeky trails content approaching)

Well, I wasn’t going to go down that route. But what else are they?
    The ‘hardy souls’ thing was in jest as well wasn’t it?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I would imagine the sign is still there when the pub is open too. You parked, no one told you to move. All a bit of a non-event really.

Well spotted Mister P!

Actually someone did turn up & went in the front door but she only smiled, probably cos she was outnumbered. 😆

No.
    Could you do it?

Mantastic
    Free Member

Wow, hope you ok after your experience. Seems like you have had a real bad time. Hopefully this minor hiccup in your life can be overcome. I wish you all the best in overcoming this terrible episode.

Thanks for sharing something so crucial.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks Mantastic I thought no-one cared but obviously you do otherwise you wouldn’t have read the threads! 😉

Mantastic
    Free Member

Thanks for your thanks, your recognition at such a traumatic time shows strength in character. I am sure you will move on and find something less important to interrupt your karma.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

No.
    Could you do it?
    That was kind of my point – I did a walk that took in the three peaks with three friends a couple of years ago; I don’t think the topic of a support vehicle ever came up. Lovely scenery around those parts, I really enjoyed that day.

nealglover
    Free Member

No.
    Could you do it?

Yes.

Moses

No.
    Could you do it?

well, I did the Lyke Wake when I was 14.
    What happened to the idea of a few sandwiches & a flask of coffee? Isn’t that enough?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks for your thanks, your recognition at such a traumatic time shows strength in character. I am sure you will move on and find something less important to interrupt your karma.

Well I dunno whether to go for Crest again, Arch’s or Flows but I dunno if that’s less important or more important.

What do you reckon?

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

well, I did the Lyke Wake when I 14

I was 15 as I recall but me and my mate did have a fleet of support vehicles. Or it might have been peanuts in the pub on Blakey, I forget.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well AFAIK, The Lyke Wake is 40 miles (ish) & should be done in 24 hrs.

All yourelephant of course cos the subject is the 3 peaks, which has got some hills in it.

garrrrpirate
    Free Member

The total ascent is roughly the same for both, the lyke wake is just much longer.

Do you think closing the car park to support vehicles would be fair enough if it was a sunny bank holiday, when the pub is open and car park rammed?

iain1775
    Free Member

Is that the pub with the wagon wheel inside that pissed stag people try to climb through, the crappy camping field at the side with the filthy swimming pool for a toilet and a barn out back that has live music?
    Or am I thinking somewhere else when I did 3 peaks on a stag do, without support vehicle, hell the stag didn’t even have any shoes because we stole them!
    Support vehicle FFS!

Edric64
    Free Member

3 peaks is an unsupported walk with a day bag its only 8 to 12 hours

gingerss
    Free Member

Done that stroll a couple of times and can’t say there was any need for support.

The pub in question was shut both times which I thought was odd given the number of people who’d drop in for tea and cake while passing, but then I reckon a lot of folk in the Dales seem to have a bit to learn re tourism.

The one thing that puts me off doing the walk every year is the poor provision in Horton. Two very average pubs and a hell hole chav magnet of a camp site. Both times I’ve stayed there has been fighting due to anti-social behaviour.

That said it’s a stunning day out and not particularly hard for the reasonably fit. Pen-y-Ghent café is excellent and the tea van at Ribblehead gives a welcome break when it’s there.

bobfromkansas
    Free Member

What a strange post. Hardy???

wwaswas

Both times I’ve stayed there has been fighting due to anti-social behaviour.

have they banned you now?

I would imagine the sign is still there when the pub is open too.

I’d agree, if it bothers you this much why not just aske them to either take the sign down when they’re closed or ask why they don;t want cars in there when they’re closed?

It’ll put your mind at rest and give you closure on the whole thing.

nosemineb
    Free Member

We did it on new years day in the cold and rain. Great day, rucksacks full of food, water and lights as we did the last 2 hours in darkness.
    I think i was the first to finish this year on account of no one else being about that we saw. No support and it was really grim. 🙂
    I realise ive added nothing but willywaving but i like my story! 😳

gingerss
    Free Member

have they banned you now?

It might have been me had I not spotted the collection of tents already there and decided to pitch up at the furthest possible point away. It’s something to do with the mix of people who go for a bit of a grill and drinking session, and people that want to get up early for ‘the challenge’. It leaves about a 1.5 hour window of opportunity for sleep.

iain1775
    Free Member

Think we finished in 9hours 53 minutes last (2nd) time we did it
    Was happy to beat the 10 hour marker
    Not a big walker, gentle stroll with dog is my usual limit so definately no need for ‘support’

funkrodent

IMO if you’re doing the 3 Peaks with a support van, it should really be Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon. In 24 hours. Though admittedly its getting a bit old now. As an aside, guy I know is climbing those three, canoe-ing Loch Ness, Windermere and the lake at Bala and doing all the journeying in between by bike. All in 72 hours. That requires a support vehicle, and rightly so!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘'No support vehicles allowed on these premises'’ is closed to new replies.