Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • No such thing as one bike for all
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

I had a great ride at the weekend up in the Dales. The weather was good, the company good and I felt good. The point of this? I was going to take my full susser but had some “issues” when loading the car so had to take my back up bike (if ever there was a need for two or more bikes then pre-ride unforeseen tech issues is it). My full susser is a lightish 6 incher but the back up bike is fully rigid, albeit with such luxuries as disk brakes and nice light carbon forks.

Now, although my fillings all came out on some of the descents and my backside took a battering, it was great fun and the climbs were a breeze. Is this the start of my slide into retroville or simply acceptance that we all need “horses for courses?”

druidh
    Free Member

Change is good

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you just have one bike then it will always be the best bike you have. If you rule out buying any other bikes then your bike will be suitable for everything you do.

It is clearly not possible to have one bike that excels at DH and road racing. But a lot of bikes can cover a fairly broad spectrum.

🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

It wasnt that long ago that we all rode rigid and had a blast!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…or maybe, with the longer evenings imminent, I’m just getting into road-riding mode 😀

franki
    Free Member

I’m happy with one offroad bike (geared HT) for everything, but need a cheap commuter also, so I don’t wreck it riding to work in all weathers and not being arsed to clean it.

(That said, I’m using a rigid ss for everything at the moment cuz my HT needs new forks.)

Wouldn’t want to have to choose what bike to take on a ride – I’d end up never going out!

tinsy
    Free Member

Ride the rigid only for 6 months then take out your full suss bike, and my guess is you will do another post much like this one but from the other perspective.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

ha ha. I reckon you could be spot on there Tinsy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘No such thing as one bike for all’ is closed to new replies.