Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)
  • No-strings relationship advice
  • Woody
    Free Member

Ok – I’m single and have been for a while. Not a problem, in fact I’m very happy with things as they are and actually enjoy being on my own and not having to worry about anyone else.

I have been having the occasional chat with a girl from work who is also single but a fair bit younger than me. Nice girl actually and would tick many boxes if it wasn’t for emotional baggage and a couple of kids, which is an absolute no no for me after a previous debacle. She has now made it crystal clear that she wants a no-strings ‘relationship’.

Now the little head is fairly chuffed at the prospect but the big head is saying it would potentially open a whole new world of grief.

Advice, serious and otherwise welcome 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not with someone from work would be my advice. what you going to do if / when it all goes pear shaped

Woody
    Free Member

That is my worry too and I’ve posed the same question directly to her. She’s giving all the right answers but not too sure I believe her.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

go with your gut instinct. Or could you cope with teh fallout if it all goes pear shaped?

Bucko

It’s not worth it, in my experience there is no such thing as ‘no strings’. I’ve had similar advice before, ignored it, regretted it.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Ride it! 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

Gut instinct says don’t risk it.

Her personality and behaviour (AFAIK) does not tie in with someone who wants a casual fling and I get the strong feeling as Bucko pointed out that there is no such thing as no-strings.

Potential fall-out is worrying as I still have to deal with the irrational behaviour of the ex three years on and there is no way I’ll be put in that position again.

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Ride her badly then she wont stick around! 🙂

Woody
    Free Member

bobbyg81

Can’t do that (not intentionally anyway) as I work in a quite a ‘male’ environment and if word got out…………well, a man has to have some pride 😀

I’ll see what tomorrow brings – clear head and all that

bobbyg81
    Free Member

In that case stay well clear. Ask if she has a sister!

emma82
    Free Member

Apologies to stereotype, but most women don’t do no strings, if it’s a work colleague I’d stay well clear. Find somewhere else for little head to play 😉

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

you have one life and you’ll be in the hole in the ground for ever so why not have fun now !

Drac

Too close of a working environment Woody, I wouldn’t.

PrinceJohn

Sounds like her soul is already going to hell.

Do you want to miss out on a place in heaven for a little sex?

yossarian
    Free Member

I say go for it. Maybe she doesn’t really mean no strings, perhaps she really likes you? Maybe you really like her. Never miss an opportunity to let things change is my advice.

If you behave with dignity and honesty throughout I can’t see how you can lose. Plenty of people see people they work with, it’s not always bad.

rewski
    Free Member

The same happened to me at work, we’ve now been married 11 years with two kids, he ho. 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

Bloke I worked with left his wife for the office manager where we worked. She switched roles and started working for him in the company. Then he started playing around, she got (understandably) upset. So he dumped her. Then sacked her.

So yeah. That work romance worked out nicely for her.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

Sounds great, go for it. Just be nice, and be truthful about the no strings-ness of it and it will be awesome. I have a friend in an open relationship or three and she loves it. You do have to be unrelentingly truthful to yourself and the other person though.

donsimon
    Free Member

What a great way to deal with life!! Best not do that just incase something bad might happen!!!
    I know quite a few people who have/have had relationships and work together, including myself. Some work some don’t and I guess it has to go down to the maturity of the people involved as to whether it will get messy or not if and when there is a breakdown.
    More recently I have had opportunities which I have turned down and regretted it, that’s a poor decision…

wilko1999
    Free Member

In my opinion, there is definitely no such thing as a no-strings relationship. I have heard this many times before and it just doesn’t happen. Seriously don’t embark on this if you are expecting no-strings. As soon as you put your pudding in her basin you have strings, if not before

The work side of things sometimes does and sometimes doesnt work. I’m something of an expert having had 4 work-related relationships in my time. No matter how much you both say you will remain professional, prepare for both your productivity to suffer as the excitement of the (no-strings lol) relationship develops

The reality of the situation is that when it comes down to it you are going to do whatever your ‘little head’ tells you to do, so just let it happen and enjoy it while it lasts!

v8ninety

Alway regret the things you do, not what you don’t do. I never met an eighty year old yet who said to me, you know son, the one thing I regret is having too much sex… 😉

In all seriousness, you’re single, what’s the worst that can happen? So you might have to move stations, localities, services… Countries? It’s all an opportunity buddy!

v8ninety

(the majority of long term relationships are formed at the workplace, iir)

cynic-al
    Free Member

No strings is absolutely possible, it’s worked out for me when I initially thought it was risky. I doubt I’d risk it at work tho, esp when you don’t feel 100% that she’s capable. Be clear about your concerns, she may convince you 😉

Or go online? I’m told there are girls looking for fun on the right sites (NOT dating sites)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Man The etc etc

andypaul99
    Free Member

I had a similar experience with a ‘no strings’ girl, 10 years later she still lingers like a bad smell- women really dont do no strings … emotionaly they are wired differently to guys and get connected far easier than we do… good luck 😛

hels
    Free Member

What Emma82 said. I don’t know any women who can genuinely do “no strings”, or not what men interpret that to mean. I imagine you would have to be a bit of a sociopath to really be able to behave that way, or a prostitute. Something you might want to explore perhaps ??

hillsplease

There’s a truism about poo and your own doorstep. The kids thing will preclude ‘no strings’ if you meet them. I wouldn’t, unless you don’t give a tinker’s about your job and are happy to move on if it all gets a bit strained.

molgrips
    Free Member

it has to go down to the maturity of the people involved as to whether it will get messy or not if and when there is a breakdown

Simon has it.

I’ve had several amicable break-ups. It’s not hard if you are both grown-ups.

I’d do it. Better to regret something you did than something you didn’t do. Embrace opportunities and all that.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Some women happily do no-strings, for a while at least. My friend was in a no-strings relationship, and all going swimmingly until she starts getting mixed messages – he suggests they spend the day together, hold hands etc. but panics when his flatmate asks if she’s his girlfriend or not. Obviously she promptly dropped him, but recently saw him just passing on the street (he with a girl in tow) and he was visibly anxious and awkward about it. I’m sure they’re both very thankful that they don’t work together.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do you both have the same concept of “no strings attached” ?

mountainchub
    Free Member

No strings for a month, then if you want to break it off ask her to marry you – that should kill it off nicely and amicably. You’ve had fun and she’s had a nice guy proposed marriage which she just isn’t ready for – surely if it works in Hollywood it can work here? 😈

binners

Getting involved with someone you work with? On any level more than ‘work’?

You’d need your bumps feeling IMHO. Just have a think about the medium/long term, and see if you can think of any conceivable scenario where its all worked out really well, and everyone’s happy

No, me neither

v8ninety

women really dont do no strings

Sooo not true. And possibly a little sexist? some women prefer no strings, especially if they already have kids. Keeps things simpler, protects kids from getting hurt, etc. Some men really struggle with no strings; its a jealousy thing.

Edit, all above in my (enjoyable) experience, obviously.

totalshell

had a couple of no strings with people i thought at the start might be psycho but to be fair they held up thier end of the bargain. both work colleagues both ‘hated’ each other but didnt know about the others extra curricular activities. one married one single both had kids ( who i never met)
    when i met the mrs went and had a chat with each of them and drew a clear line in the sand and that was that.. lasted about 3 years a piece all in.. no dates no chrissy presents no hassle..

flip
    Free Member

Do it, i would, if all else fails it’ll give you stories to tell 😉

Please post updates though, and pics?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Unless you are in a position of responsibility over her at work then why not? If you are her line manager or a director of the business then I would steer clear for purely professional reasons.

I have had several relationships with people I work with (some worked, some not) never caused any problems.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I managed a stint of no strings with a girl at work who has a kid about 4 years ago… didn’t go pear shaped, in fact we are still good friends, just we know what each other look like naked, makes for some good banter, but then I am totally loveable in a rogueish kind of way (according to my mum)

You need to have a feel for the situation, I knew the girl was strong minded and just needed a good seeing to, as she was aware that I wasn’t prepared to take on someone elses kids at that time.

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, particularly the women as it is very helpful. Only on STW could you get such a balanced viewpoint.

Be clear about your concerns, she may convince you

This is where my main concern lies. Throughout the lead-up to it being ‘put on the line’ so to speak, I have constantly pulled back when the the conversation was leading to something more than casual flirting.

Sooo not true. And possibly a little sexist? some women prefer no strings

Without trying to over-analyse (which obviously I’ve done) the signs have been there for a while that she was interested in a ‘normal’ relationship and it is only after my insistence that I wasn’t, that she has come up with this idea. Doesn’t really tie in with what I know about her and smacks of ‘getting a foot in the door’ rather than a bit of fun and fulfilling a physical need.

I’ve also had a couple of work relationships in the dim and distant past, neither of which ended well!

If it wasn’t for the work aspect (I’m not her boss but do come into regular contact) then I would be more inclined to give it a go. As it stands, I have too many doubts and the negatives outweight the obvious positive!

She wants to come round to my house tonight, so I’ll have to let her know by early afternoon.

Keep the advice coming – seems fairly evenly divided at the moment.

Cheers

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Do it, i would, if all else fails it’ll give you stories to tell

This is what is best for us. Do it.

PJM1974
    Free Member

FWIW, here’s some advice from a chap who’s been around the block a few times.

Firstly, there’s no such thing as no strings sex. One of you will struggle to keep physical intimacy and emotional intimacy separate and thus will come to expect more than the other party is willing to give.

Secondly, never, ever get involved with someone you work with unless you forsee the relationship lasting forever. Post shag fallout can pollute far more than you realise and could put both your respective careers in jeopardy. She’s got kids to feed so she doesn’t need the hassle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘No-strings relationship advice’ is closed to new replies.