Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • "No sign of intelligent life"
  • oldfart

I can only think that’s the conclusion aliens would come to if they’d been observing us recently and the packed car park of our local Sainsbury’s and Mc Donald’s are anything to go by . I can’t think that all those Sainsbury’s shoppers have popped in for a pint of milk and as for Mc Donald’s what a Boxing Day treat ! The shops have been shut ONE whole day let’s get out there buy more stuff we don’t need , cheap Chinese tat we’ll still be paying for long after it’s fallen apart then when we’ve maxed out our credit card let’s go and stuff our faces full of high sugar high fat processed junk food !!!
    Still my wife finds my rants amusing she reckons I’m the British equivalent of Rich Hall ! I’ll take that better than Victor Meldrew

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

What did you eat at McD’s? 😆

kayla1
    Free Member

I totally agree. We had a ride out today and it took us past our local Asda and drive through McD’s (they share the same road in). Queuing to get in and queuing to get out 😯

oldfart

The rare occasion I set foot in the place is at the end of a hot Summer ride (so not very often !) for a Mc Flurry.

oldfart

Yeah kayla1 we were just heading home from a nice ride around the local moors when we went past the car parks .

Jamie
    Free Member

SnobTrackWorld 8)

oldfart

Snob? Me? I hardly think so council house stock me. Just observing is all.

jekkyl

how do you know they’re spending credit, maybe they’re all wealthy.

jimjam
    Free Member

I’m out of locally produced double IPA’s. Consider my dilemma.

mickmcd
    Free Member

so how many times did the ghosts visit ebeneezer

Jamie
    Free Member

Snob? Me? I hardly think so council house stock me. Just observing is all.

Oh come now. No need to be coy. At least have the strength of your convictions.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I spent 5 hours at a kitchen designers …

I reckon today, of all days, I win.

😡

SaxonRider

I agree with the OP. No matter what the motives of individuals, it still makes the human race look utterly mindless, hyper-materialistic, lemmings.

Case in point:

Boxing Day Sale, 2013

Jamie
    Free Member

I agree with the OP. No matter what the motives of individuals, it still makes the human race look utterly mindless, hyper-materialistic, lemmings.

And how does it feel to have such laser guided insight on the human condition? Happy? Sad? Indifferent?

SaxonRider

Sad. Always sad.

In any case, I said ‘makes the human race LOOK…” which allows some wriggle room for other possibilities.

But I stand by criticising any buying frenzy as something that demeans our humanity.

CountZero

Considering all the shops were open on Christmas Eve, and people were queuing with full trolleys when I was in Morrisons Sunday morning, so why the chuff do people need to go out to the supermarket again after only one day?
    Just one of life’s little conundrums, I s’pose.

richmars

I was in Morrisons Sunday morning, so why the chuff do people need to go out to the supermarket again after only one day?

Just maybe, they were different people who went on Sunday and today?

oldfart

Maybe it’s a pack mentality ? But as Count Zero said surely a the cupboards aren’t completely bare after just one day ? I’m old enough to remember pre Sunday trading times and when shops were closed Boxing Day because January Sales actually started in January ! How about one Sunday a month closing just so people can draw breath and shopworkers can actually have a break ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thing is, not everyone celebrates Xmas..
    Maybe they were just taking to opportunity to buy stuff in the sales, a chance to get out and mingle.

slackalice
    Free Member

How about one Sunday a month closing just so people can draw breath and shopworkers can actually have a break ?

Because they have foolishly high monthly mortgage interest payments to make?

Welcome to the machine.

frankconway

I’m with the OP on this.
    It’s why retailers refer to Oct/Nov/Dec as ‘the golden quarter’.
    More shopping frenzy to come this weekend in preparation for New Year’s Eve/Day?
    Does the volume of domestic food waste increase at Christmas/New Year?

airtragic
    Free Member

Look, I was doing my contractually obliged time with the family, a bike ride was hardly an option! Ten pin bowling at a retail park was!

pocpoc
    Free Member

I was at the local supermarket shortly after opening this morning. Had to get a bunch of AAA batteries for all of the presents recieved by the children yesterday. I had loads of AA in the cupboard but, no, they all needed bloody AAA’s!

Cougar

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. (-:

I went to Tesco today around 5pm. It was dead, no bugger there.

wilburt
    Free Member

Favourite Brian Cox quote:

“Humans are clever, but possibly not clever enough to run a Planet”

Haha..Dweebs.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I went to Tesco today around 5pm. It was dead, no bugger there.

I went to Morrisons at 4pm, it was dead. (no foodie bargains either, which is why I went)

headfirst
    Free Member

OP: Perhaps the people you observed were more intelligent than you? Rather than being ‘ripped off’ by paying the global corporations full whack for what they want, they wait for the biggest discounts to kick in and then go shopping? Did you pay full retail price for that bike you rode past them on? If so, who’s the bigger chump?

oldfart

Trust me headfirst I’ve NEVER paid full price for anything just ask anyone who knows me! I’m notorious.

headfirst
    Free Member

Good man oldfart, are you from Yorkshire too?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I reckon today, of all days, I win.

Went to Morrisons near the in-laws and it was pretty quiet. My excuse, our dog’s been vomiting all day and I was there to hire a carpet washer. May well have exceeded Bikebouy’s 5 hours in scraping up dog vomit and out of hours vets visits 🙁

Oh and Boxing Day sales don’t seem to extend to vets fees either!

CountZero

Does the volume of domestic food waste increase at Christmas/New Year?

Possibly, depends on wether the person responsible for cooking and buying the food buys fresh veg and meat that can be frozen after wards and the leftovers eaten later or used as part of other meals, which is what my g/f does; the fridge and freezer are full of plastic boxes with leftovers in.

oldfart

headfirst not Yorkshire deepest darkest Somerset

nick1962
    Free Member

let’s get out there buy more stuff we don’t need , cheap Chinese tat we’ll still be paying for long after it’s fallen apart then when we’ve maxed out our credit card let’s go and stuff our faces full of high sugar high fat processed junk food !!!

Taiwanese MTBs and post ride cakes???

slowoldman

SnobTrackWorld

No, simply sensible.

robowns
    Free Member

Why do people on here care so much about what other people do? Quite sad really. If people want a Big Mac on Boxing Day, whatevs go buy one.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Does the ability to look down at people signify intelligent life?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’m not one to judge but……… 😆 😉 Seen people queuing up outside a Pandora shop like it was Studio 54, psuedo bouncers and all making sure the queue was well stocked 😆 You could almost hear the sound of high fives at the board meeting. Limited collectable value-added booooom biatches.

I judge places by how big the queue to get in is. Must be good right, all those people wanting a piece of the action. I join the queues for fun, just go with the flow, follow the mystical serpentine into the rabbit hole, it’s a rush.

spooky_b329

Is the McDonald’s queue not just a desperate delaying tactic to returning home to put up with the extended family and yet more bloody Turkey leftovers!?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘"No sign of intelligent life"’ is closed to new replies.