Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • No reason for concern…I repeat, no reason for concern…
  • zokes
    Free Member

Dooomed?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

No. Not even mildly alarmed.

MSP

My trusty tin foil hat will protect me!

scuzz
    Free Member

Linking the Metro? Really? You know it’s the Daily Mail, right?

joao3v16
    Free Member

It could disrupt satellite navigation?

I am concerned for all those people who ‘need’ their sat nav on to drive home from work. despite travelling exactly the same route every single day of the week 🙄 what’s all that about? did you somehow forget where you live during the past 8 hours?

Cougar

I wonder if Dr. Hans Zarkov can offer any explanation for these intergalactic upsets? He used to work at NASA.

GrahamS

what’s all that about? did you somehow forget where you live during the past 8 hours?

Live traffic reports on your sat nav. Useful thing.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Car radio?

sparksmcguff

Just to return to the OPs point – no, yes, really (in a Frankie Howard voice – I was watching BBC4 last night I’m not that old), I am concerned. Just not about that.

ianmoody
    Free Member

I think the key word here is ‘could’ as in, could disrupt everything.
    The car you’re travelling in ‘could’ hit a nail in the road causing it to spin and crash into a wall. An aeroplane ‘could’ empty it’s toilet deposits in your back garden. The next government ‘could’ abolish VAT and sell the falklands islands to Argentina and buy everyone a new bike. Probably won’t happen though. It is quite astounding the number of times ‘news’ channels report things that ‘could’ or ‘may’ happen. I like to call it ‘scaremongering’.

aracer
    Free Member

It could disrupt satellite navigation?

Those of us with bike computers which use wires and magnets in wheels will be smug 😉

zippykona

This happened back in 1990 when i was on telly. Set the video and the effing sun made the picture go all rubbish. My one moment of stardom ruined.

GrahamS

Those of us with bike computers which use wires and magnets in wheels will be smug

Surely it “could” disrupt them too? Basically anything electronic without decent shielding “could” be disrupted (but probably won’t be).

aracer
    Free Member

Surely it “could” disrupt them too? Basically anything electronic without decent shielding “could” be disrupted (but probably won’t be).

Maybe – but far less likely to have a problem than anything which relies on radio waves (especially things which rely on accurate measurement of propagation). If it was at all likely to be powerful enough to take out a bike computer then I should think they’d have grounded all flights.

GrahamS

I should think they’d have grounded all flights.

Yeah, odd that you can’t use your phone on a plane, but being bombarded by highly charged particles from a solar storm is fine 😀

ianmoody
    Free Member

Yeah, odd that you can’t use your phone on a plane, but being bombarded by highly charged particles from a solar storm is fine

Is that a bit like the ‘don’t use your mobile phone on a filling station forecourt’ thing. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that nothing bad has ever happened from using your mobile while filling a car, and pretty unlikely too.

nicko74

Will I die?

Yeah, odd that you can’t use your phone on a plane, but being bombarded by highly charged particles from a solar storm is fine

Is that a bit like the ‘don’t use your mobile phone on a filling station forecourt’ thing. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that nothing bad has ever happened from using your mobile while filling a car, and pretty unlikely too.
    Absolutely – mobile phone use has been pretty fully debunked from causing petrol station explosions. Nylon trousers, on the other hand, are positively correlated with such things.

MSP

They put mobile network transceivers in petrol station signs (or at least they used to).

sv

Nylon trousers, on the other hand, are positively correlated with such things.

So we will all have to strip naked when filling up? Just as a precaution…

MadPierre

I would think the danger of a mobile phone use in a filling station would be more related to the numpty using it not paying attention to what he is doing rather than any technology causing explosion rubbish…. so is probably best left in place?

In fact banning their use in more places would be good!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘No reason for concern…I repeat, no reason for concern…’ is closed to new replies.