Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • no probs with drivetrain but put new chain on anyway (problems now)
  • sefton
    Free Member

I’ve had over a years worth of riding from my cx cassette, chain & rings. I thought I’d put a new chain on before it wore and ate my cassette.

I’ve put on a new chain (same make sram) counted the same number of links and fitted it no probs.

but it now sounds noisy & slightly rough & it often falls of the large ring up front.

is this just a worn cassette or teething probs?

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

My guess is rings etc are worn. I thought it was common practice to replace the lot, although expensive.

Sure someone will come along tell me I know nothing about bikes and tell you the right thing though!

sefton
    Free Member

might aswell put the old chain back on and run the lot into the ground?

slackalice
    Free Member

Probably best to put the old chain back on. If it aint broke… you probably know the rest 🙂

kendo954
    Free Member

Usually change chain/cassette together, rings are usually fine with a new chain

sefton
    Free Member

popped the old chain back on and its fine again.

I’ll run it like this and change the lot in summer (cassette probably just passed its best at the mo)

everything only a year old 👿 I keep a clean bike too.

crikey
    Free Member

Before the advent of ‘chain measuring things’, you rode the same chain until it died.

The sceptic in me sees the whole chain measuring tool and new chain at x amount of wear as a pretty cynical marketing pile of big billy bollocks.

I’ve just got rid of a chain and cassette that was 10 years old, from my winter roadie. Still worked perfectly well, I just upgraded to 10 speed…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘no probs with drivetrain but put new chain on anyway (problems now)’ is closed to new replies.