Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • No poll tax February.
  • zippykona

Just checked my account and as usual I’ve forgotten there’s no poll tax this month or next.
    What you spending yours on?
    Mine is buying more loft insulation. Boring but I’m very excited.

fathomer

Decorating the bathroom, almost as exciting as you 😀

thestabiliser
    Free Member

£100 off the xmas consumerism albatros

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

It worked then?

sbob
    Free Member

binners – Member

It worked then?

Poll tax?
    Yes, it was a great idea.
    It was however unpopular with a bunch of thugs who didn’t want to pay their way.

😀

binners

I hear they’re making them pay tax for bedrooms now instead? The bloody layabouts 😀

sbob
    Free Member

Those pictures of rioters aren’t doing anything for me.

Can’t the champion of corporate big business supply us with a laughing tory from his **** bank like he normally does?

A brother needs something to fap to, once he’s finished this delicious pie, sourced from the local family butcher. 😛

hels
    Free Member

Legislation is going through Scottish Parliament to stop Cooncils chasing up any remaining poll tax arrears in Scotland.

I would be asking for a refund, if I had paid it !

(the subtext to this is that a lot of people went on the electoral role to vote in the referendum, they had previously avoided it so they couldn’t be traced, so were effectively disenfranchised – the LAs were licking their fingers at the thought of that extra income as a result)

wwaswas

I tell my kids I was in Trafalgar Square that day (I was, honest).

They look at their Dad and I can see them thinking ‘Nah!’.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Twenty five years ago in April…I remember the “B******s to the Poll Tax!” tee shirts and the tall tales of rioting prowess from some of the other kids in my year at school who claimed to have been involved in fisticuffs with local plod that weekend.

PiknMix
    Free Member

My wife has just informed me that due to no council tax this month, we can now afford to re tile the kitchen. FML I have never tiled, nor have I ever had the desire to learn to tile. Why does she think I can just automatically do these things!

somafunk

I pay mine off in full every year when the bill arrives (aren’t i smug 😉 ), thankfully i’m in the lowest band in dumfries & galloway, and receive a 25% discount for single occupancy so it only 😕 costs me £700 ish – that’s still 3 weeks pay though.

binners

Tiling kitchens? Loft insulation? Its a right old hot bed of Bacchanalian debauchery around here today 😀

P-Jay
    Free Member

GoPro for me and some obscenely expensive perfume for my wife- I was shocked when she told me how much it cost!

footflaps

FML I have never tiled, nor have I ever had the desire to learn to tile.

I find the tiling bit easy, it’s the grouting where it all seems to go wrong…..

GoPro for me and some obscenely expensive perfume for my wife- I was shocked when she told me how much it cost!

You pay £500 a month in Council Tax?

Our Council + water rates (neither bill in Feb / Mar) is something like £160 IIRC.

johndoh
    Free Member

Car insurance, MOT and service.

Whoop-de-****-doo.

gobuchul
    Free Member

What about these poll tax riots?

ransos
    Free Member

It was however unpopular with a bunch of thugs who didn’t want to pay their way.

It was unpopular with most of the country, which is why it was scrapped.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think I’ll be spending £70 of it on a small mixing desk. a little more interesting than tiling , insulation or the costs of keeping a car running. the rest I’ll probably spend on me

The band no longer has use of the PA we’d been borrowing for the last 2 years so we need a new PA. I don’t have room in the car for the full monty, and besides, one of the other guys has just bought the speakers, so I shall provide the mixer & someone else can do the power amp and stands

PS round here we have March off as well 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nothing as I pay it monthly

I explained to them that I asked my employer to pay me over 11 months and as they had declined i would have to pay them monthly as well.

They moaned a lot about this but eventually accepted this. I had to turn up monthly with the cash for a bit as well before they would do DD

dknwhy

I’ve changed mine up into euros and i’ll be spending it on beer and meat this weekend in Slovakia.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I’ll be going for the little plastic spacer look….. Permanently!

Tiling kitchens? Loft insulation? Its a right old hot bed of Bacchanalian debauchery around here today

Living the dream Binners, living the dream 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Ours is paying off the bill for MCJnrs school trip to France in June.

binners

dknwhy is definitely winning so far. Will there be Slovakian hookers? 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

Another boring 12 month payer here!

dknwhy

binners – Member
    dknwhy is definitely winning so far. Will there be Slovakian hookers?

It’s my stag do so I hope so.

binners

Good work! Make the most of it! This time next year you’ll be weighing up the relative merits of loft insulation and grouting 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

You can pay over 12 months? I’m on 10 as well, looks like another house and car insurance fap-fest for me this year!

Lifer
    Free Member

Think it depends on the area.

dknwhy

This time next year you’ll be weighing up the relative merits of loft insulation and grouting

We’ve been together for 12 years with 2 kids so are all but married in name. If it makes you feel any better, last month I had to spend the equivalent of the monthly council tax on resurfacing the shower tray 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

My water is also over 10 months so my wife can spend an additional £264 a month on pointless frippery in both February and March…

footflaps

on resurfacing the shower tray

WTF is that?

I’d have thought you just threw the old one out and put in a new one?

almightydutch
    Free Member

MrsDutch just ordered a new blind for our kitchen, its 30 quid more than Council tax payment so I’m even more out of pocket 👿

P-Jay
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

FML I have never tiled, nor have I ever had the desire to learn to tile.

You pay £500 a month in Council Tax?

Our Council + water rates (neither bill in Feb / Mar) is something like £160 IIRC.

Oh hell no – it’s about £160 a month I think, so about £300 total for the 2 months ‘holiday’ – I’m getting a Hero and the perfume is something like £80 or so.

Between that an my fuel bills dropping £30 a month it’s like being a Boomer in the 80’s – if only they could sell all the British Rail, Air, Steel, Gas etc etc again I might be able to buy a house by the time I’m 40…

dknwhy

Surface gets skimmed to repair the hairline cracks. Was cheaper than ripping it all out and damaging the bottom row of tiles.
    Time will tell how it lasts. Was worth a punt though.

Gary_M
    Free Member

somafunk – Member
    I pay mine off in full every year when the bill arrives (aren’t i smug ), thankfully i’m in the lowest band in dumfries & galloway, and receive a 25% discount for single occupancy so it only costs me £700 ish – that’s still 3 weeks pay though.

You seem to pop up on many times on the forum regarding spending. How you managed to eat and spend what you appear to on £12k a year is remarkable.

Week in the Lake District for me btw.

squirrelking
    Free Member

PiknMix
    Free Member

You seem to pop up on many times on the forum regarding spending. How you managed to eat and spend what you appear to on £12k a year is remarkable.

Ponics, worth their weight in gold (or the products thereof are) 😉

sbob
    Free Member

I think you’ll find that £700 spent each year is still £700, whether you spend it in one go or in installments.

I can provide maths tuition if you want to supplement my lowly income. 🙂

somafunk

Gary M : 24 years ago I was involved in a car accident that left me at 19 with a shattered spine and paralysed from the chest down with a piss poor prognosis due to bone fragments in my spinal cord, 4 months+ in hospital and wheelchairs, many hours of exploratory and rebuild surgery/removal of shattered vertebrae along with fusion of the rest along with countless hours of physio that was brutal but ultimately so worth it. From getting feeling back in my big toe after 3 months to movement spreading up my legs to managing to hobble out the hospital on crutches over 4 months later and over the next 6 months I worked till I was almost back to normal, needless to say there was a certain amount of insurance/compensation involved which eventually ended up in my bank account, so I did what any 19yr old in my situation would do – I spent a lot of it in the first 10 odd years doing whatever I wanted whenever or wherever I liked, sort of a bucket list in reverse – and I had a pretty **** amazin time, like achieving my ppl (just for the hell of it so I could fly around from game reserve to game reserve) when out staying with friends in Zimbabwe, but I got a bit sensible in my early 30’s and trusted a good friend who deals with that sort of thing to sort out what I had left (how much have I frittered away 😯 , bloody good fun though) and he did a decent job so these days I have a certain other income that supplements my meagre paid income from my job.

Good enough explanation? , btw – my total income is still below nat average so please don’t think I’m living it up in any way possible, still don’t own carpets or such like and I still live in a 1 bed council house but I spend what I have on stuff I want.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘No poll tax February.’ is closed to new replies.