Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • No Obree thread?
  • GW
    Free Member

‘bit surprised 😕

miketually
    Free Member

Just goes to show the impact that homophobia can have.

Time for a change, despite what Melanie Phillips and the rest of the Daily Wail brigade might think. This is worth a read: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-why-is-it-wrong-to-protect-gay-children-2196470.html

big_n_daft
    Free Member

We imagine that most road.cc forum users, like ourselves, will consider Obree’s sexuality to be a private matter for himself, but hope you will join us in wishing him inner peace and happiness for the future.

end of thread

ScottChegg
    Free Member

GW – Member
    ‘bit surprised

Not as suprised as his wife and kids, I’d have thought.

RustyMac

+1 for what big_n_daft said

aracer
    Free Member

‘bit surprised

Personally I’m not at all (edit – oh did you mean at the lack of a thread?). Not really a lot more to be said other than wishing him all the best.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agreed it is ashame he had to endure such turmoil over his sexuality

I was brought up thinking you’d be better dead than gay. I must have known I was gay and it was so unacceptable. I was brought up by a war generation – they grew up when gay people were put in jail. Being homosexual was so unthinkable that you just wouldn’t be gay. I’d no inkling about anything, I just closed down

For someone who has been in turmoil for so long, many will hope that this marks a turning point and that he can be more at peace with himself from this point on.

We grew up in the same wee Scottish village FWIW

Sadly it is till happening today in schools and society in general

I’ll tell you the story of just one of them. Jonathan Reynolds was a 15-year old boy from Bridgend in South Wales who was accused – accurately or not, we’ll never know – of being gay. He was yelled at for being a “faggot” and a “poof”. So one day, he sat a GSCE exam – later graded as an A – and went to the train tracks near his school and lay on them. He texted his sister: “Tell everyone that this is for anybody who eva said anything bad about me, see I do have feelings too. Blame the people who were horrible and injust to me, see I do have feeling too. Blame the people who were horrible and injust to me. This is because of them, I am human just like them. None of you blame yourself, mum, dad, Sam and the rest of the family. This is not because of you.” And then the train killed him.

pixelmix
    Free Member

+1 Big n Daft.

I would imagine that part of the reason that many people are scared to “come out”, is because it is considered front page news. When I saw Obree mentioned on twitter etc this morning, I was interested to see what he was up to these days. When I found out why he was in the limelight, I closed the page. I have no interest in whether or not he is gay – it is a matter for him and his family.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Agreed, a matter for him & those close to him.

Best wishes Mr O’Bree!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I would imagine that part of the reason that many people are scared to “come out”, is because it is considered front page news.

I disagree. If he was openly gay from the outset there is no story.

I think it’s more to do with society and it’s intolerance to anything different; gay, foreign, religous, homeless, Scottish, ginger. All mean some bunch of folks can point at someone (and it’s usually a minority) and be nasty.

Grim.

clubber
    Free Member

Well hopefully, his coming out will allow him to feel more comfortable in his own skin and make it easier to control his depression. He had a pretty rough upbringing so I’m not suprised that he didn’t feel he could come out earlier.

epicyclo

Hope this gives him some peace and self-esteem.

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve always considered him a hero, even more so for having the guts to come out after all this time.

+ 1 to Big n daft,,

bigyinn
    Free Member

How is Obree’s (or anyone else’s for that matter) sexuality relevant to ANYONE except themselves?

DickBarton

Makes no difference to me…he has amazing ability and determination. End of.

geoffj

WGAS (and I mean that in a nice way)

Woody
    Free Member

I would imagine that part of the reason that many people are scared to “come out”, is because it is considered front page news.

It may be a factor when the the ‘outee’ is considering the effect on families etc. but it’s a sad reflection on society that newspapers/journos still consider something like this will sell newspapers and is therefore worthy of reporting.

All I want to know is why he won’t take on a sponsor so he can have another crack at the mile record?

miketually
    Free Member

How is Obree’s (or anyone else’s for that matter) sexuality relevant to ANYONE except themselves?

The story here, for me, is the effect that intolerance and homophobia can have. If either of my daughters is gay, I hope they don’t have to deal with it.

My sister could never come out to the people she used to work with, because of the homophobic ‘banter’ in the workplace.

tony_m
    Free Member

Having had the great pleasure, and honour, of sharing the roads of Islay with GO last year (mostly from quite a long way behind, admittedly… 😳 ), all I can say is that he is an absolute gentleman, and echo everything that has been said above.

GW
    Free Member

edit – oh did you mean at the lack of a thread?.

Aye, that was all.
    BigYin – yeah, I agree. It felt a bit odd seeing the Sun’s entire front page devoted to this “news” in the local shop this morning.

project
    Free Member

Best wishes to Mr Obree, and his family, its so sad youve done so much for cycling and have felt the need to hide your sexuality from others.

Perhaps now other sports people will also show their sexuality and prove theyre as good if not better than the others.

Junkyard youre making me cry , so very sad for the young chaps family.

Merak

Went to see him speak about his life and achievements in a Glasgow school, late last summer. An amazing life, with incredible peaks and troughs.

Although it matters not to me, or anyone else outside his immediate family. I too, hope his coming out will enable him to have some kind of equilibrium.
    Onward and upward. 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

There is an obvious joke in there but I wont make it. I am not into hero worship but the guy is an absolute hero for both his attitude and innovative spirit.

dickydutch

And he is hard as nails.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Obree is a legend. That’s all there is to it. His sexuality shouldn’t and doesn’t matter. Hope he finds life a little easier.

takisawa2

Nearly finished his biography. Christ, that chap went through some tough times. Hope he’s finally found some happiness. Top top chap.

gordimhor

+1 big n daft

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I don’t think Obree is that bothered about his sexuality being a private matter for himself* as he’s done his first TV interview.
    It’s the whole part 4 of this terrible programme us Scots are subjected to of an evening (Dear Lord, I cannot stand that fat McManus ‘thing’)

http://player.stv.tv/programmes/the-hour/2011-02-02-1700/

* Haven’t seen the whole interview myself yet.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Does sexuality maketh the man???

IMHO no, so what’s the point in making it an issue???

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

To help sell his book 😉 😀

smell_it
    Free Member

Short and sweet, but sums it up to me;

http://bianchista.blogspot.com/2011/01/roll-model.html

Kevevs
    Free Member

Good luck and happiness to you Mr. Obree.
    You can say his sexuality doesn’t matter, but perhaps all that suppressed energy was concentrated into his cycling? just a thought…

Kunstler

I hope in making his declaration he will be able to find some peace and happiness. I found his book to be incredibly moving and inspirational.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘No Obree thread?’ is closed to new replies.