Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • No not the MJ-872!
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

What if you don’t want to spend as much as the MJ-872 (current price ~£100?) , are smudges lights the way to go? The 1000 lumen jobbie? And what about helmet lights, do people stick the mj-872 and similar on helmets or do you have separate lights?

Trying to get a bit of a bulk buy going for the guys at work – possibly 4-5 sets needed.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Ultrafire P10 is a good little helmet torch. See DX.

RicB

I’d look at an xml based helmet torch e.g. Ultrafire 501 (£30ish with 18650 batts & charger from DX) or the Smudge light.

Rode with a mate who’s just bought the Smudge light last week and it seems very good. Lots of light, good throw but more of a helmet spotlight than a floody bar light. Plus you’ll get a UK spec charger and backup from Smudge (who’s a very helpful chap).

Look at the specs of the XML led – most of the lumen claims about at the moment are hugely optimistic!

grum
    Free Member

This torch is pretty amazing for the price and seems fairly well constructed. Not tried it in anger yet so I don’t know about run times etc but it’s very bright.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330566331641?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Looking at the “900 lumen” ultrafire p501 vs smudges 1000 lumen – what are the differences in power and light spread?
    In theory they should be the same strength just different battery arrangements?
    A friend has used two p501 units on the handlebars but feels that a head unit would be more helpful in tight woodland with lots of sharp turns. Does smudges unit give a greater spread negating the need for a separate head unit?

Otherwise maybe get one p501 for the bars and p10 for the helmet? Although there doesn’t seem to be much weight difference.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whats wrong with the good old P7 Bastid?

I keep ‘needing’ the 872, untill I go out for a ride and realise the P7 is plenty. Group rides are different as you always need more light than the guy behind you!

z1ppy

The main difference are that the 501 is not 900 lumens, and the Smudges XML is probably nearly 1000 lumens…

The Magicshine P7 bike torches (I have both a MS bike light and a P7 torch which is very similar to a 501) put out around 550-600 lumens (measured) with quite a floody beam but doesn’t have a huge throw/reach.
    Smudges XML, quote 1000 and I imagine it is around this figure, as everyone else advertises them as 1200-1600 lumens if you check eBay. The beam from this is tighter & brighter but the reach/throw is much-much better.

I would simply suggest getting XML torches or smudges (or similar) units would be better than spending money on the old P7 LED’s. There not bad, but the XML’s are so much better for basically the same money.

althepal

Is the p7 less spotty than smudge’s XML do you think?
    I have a smudge light and it’s cracking, v bright, good throw but it’s not floody.
    Got one of the XML torches as linked to above and for 20 quid all in it’s great value. Not quite as much throw as the smudge light but not floody. Tried it on my helmet with a lock block Velcro fitting and it wasn’t very secure and felt a bit weighty- the fact I could feel and see it moving about a bit didn’t help! Although not as tightly focused as the smudge unit it’s no flood and I still felt I wasn’t getting much peripheral light to see round corners slightly, even on the helmet.
    So, was thinking a cheap p7 as a flood might be a good idea poss? Or will I need to buy something specifically intended to be a flood? Prob is I’m fairly skint so even £100 for an 872 would prob be too much.

Btw.. Been out twice at night now and love it!

z1ppy

I’d suggest you maybe disappoint by the overall output of a P7 torch, if you already have two XML’s TBH. Yes they are more floody, but there reach is where they lack power.
    I’d suggest saving the money you have for the P7 and save more till you could afford a £89 eBay Mj-872, if you think another light is required.

Alternatively the cheapest option I can suggest, maybe getting a repacement reflector or lens for your Smudge unit? I haven’t seen or used one but there are some suggestion it a useable option..
    See this thread for details

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘No not the MJ-872!’ is closed to new replies.