Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • No, no, no, no …. (heights video)
  • letmetalktomark

It’s a no from me.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1BgzIZRfT8[/video]

😯

I guess its beats sitting at a desk all day ….

RoterStern
    Free Member

I suppose a job like that has its ups and downs.

jam-bo

full safety gear. probably less dangerous than climbing up a ladder to clean your gutters out.

its the mental russian videos that scare me.

whitestone
    Free Member

With an open structure like that you get used to the exposure as you climb rather than stepping out at the 100th floor of a skyscraper. Getting used to the sway might take a bit of time.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Be interested to know what the evac plan was if he fell off, as he didn’t seem to have a mate within easy reach.

Otherwise he’d got the right kit on and was actually bothering to use it. In principle it wouldn’t bother me, although I’ve never been 1500′ up a mast, so wouldn’t actually know how I coped until I got there. Done plenty of work at height though.

Be a right bugger if you dropped a nut mind!

Jamie
    Free Member

its the mental russian videos that scare me.

We have our own nut jobs. Makes yer proud.

[video]https://youtu.be/00lCoGWxbt4[/video]

More James Kingston: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp6etHEelnOOd3m9CFsCSgg

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Love it.
    It’s part of what I do for a living.

feed

I have, on occasion gone upstairs in the house forgetting to bring what I was planning to bring upstairs. Different story getting up there and thinking Now to change the bulb Nooooooo

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t have any trouble watching when there’s a safety harness, without gives me the collywobbles!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Nut job indeed ..definitely a case of the lights being on but nobody at home

globalti
    Free Member

No, a case of a cool head and experience.

My brother and I once got over site hoardings and climbed a tower crane on a Tyneside Metro construction site and pissed off the end of the jib. It was quite interesting to hear the delay before the liquid began splattering on plastic sheeting below. I got in serious trouble the next morning when my Mum found a huge greasy rope mark right across the back of my jacket. (One wore a jacket when clubbing and pubbing in mid-70s Newcastle.)

DezB
    Free Member

That James Kingston thing is a hard watch. Sweaty palms here. Do you think he has something missing in his brain which prevents the fear, or something extra which gives him such supreme confidence in his body’s ability? It’s just so alien.

Cougar

There’s a VR place opening up in Manchester, run by those nice Imax people. One of the experiences is “The Walk.”

http://imaxvr.imax.com/

94 stories up on a wire stretched between two skyscrapers. Don’t look down. In “The Walk” you step into the shoes of Philippe Petit as he attempts to walk a cable between the towers of the World Trade Center in 1974. Petit trained for years to make history. Do you have what it takes?

wwaswas

Fred Dibnar always used to drop his matches or fags when he got up to that sort of height.

choppersquad
    Free Member

No way Jose.
    Not if you held a gun to a baby panda’s head.

hammyuk
    Free Member

James Kingston is an arrogant little prick funded by the bank of Mum and will get a very hearty slap if he ever sets foot on another one of my sites again…

Back to the OP – been my day job for 30yrs

project
    Free Member

Fancy unicyling with your girlfreind on your shoulders, juggling balls, and more , all on top of a huuuuuuuuge chimney

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

full safety gear. probably less dangerous than climbing up a ladder to clean your gutters out.

Undoubtedly the safety gear will be very safe. Belt, braces and more belts just in case.

But they’re only as safe as the thing they’re attached to though! It looks a bit “flimsy” 🙂

kelvin

Not enough occurrences of ‘no’ in the thread title.

wilburt
    Free Member

I spent a while installing football scoreboards, not as high but no safety.

The worst thing is climbing down and realising you’ve left your snap on ratchet at the top.

GrahamS

There’s a VR place opening up in Manchester, run by those nice Imax people. One of the experiences is “The Walk.”

CoolerMaster had a stall at Maker Faire with a similiar wheeze.

Full VR headset, earphone and hand wand thing. You went up in a lift which opened onto a skyscraper floor still under construction. Then you walked out on a plank and jumped off.

Made all the more believable by having a real wobbly plank on the floor for people to walk on and having a fan blow in their face for wind.

Saw a few adults buckle at the knees despite the height all being virtual.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Oh God, massive Noooooooooo from me

Palms of my hands and soles of my feet spewing sweat like a sponge after that.

I just can’t do heights at all

aracer
    Free Member

Undoubtedly the safety gear will be very safe. Belt, braces and more belts just in case.
    But they’re only as safe as the thing they’re attached to though! It looks a bit “flimsy” [/quote]

I doubt it is at all flimsy – you’re seeing the gaps, not the large amounts of steel. Wouldn’t have any problem at all doing that – it’s all about trusting the safety gear and knowing it will save you whatever happens.

As for James Kingston, it’s a combination of having confidence in your own ability and being able to switch off or ignore the fear. It’s possible he has no fear at all, but unlikely and it certainly doesn’t sound like that in the clip – the talking to yourself thing (yeah I know he’s making a video, but it sounds like it’s also for his own benefit) is one of the ways I personally cope with the fear when rock climbing. A climb I did recently I was completely unprotected up to 5m off the ground (that was the first place there was anywhere in the rock to attach anything) and it didn’t really bother me that much because I was just thinking about the climbing moves and it was all fairly easy climbing for me – ignoring the fear and confidence that I wasn’t going to fall. I do seem to be able to cope with that sort of thing better than most people, but it’s mainly about being able to control emotions rather than recklessness. Not sure I’d do all that he does, but I think I could happily cope with a lot of that.

Cougar

CoolerMaster had a stall at Maker Faire with a similiar wheeze.

That sounds brilliant, I’d have loved to have a go at that.

nickdavies

I’ve done access work and tbh it’s not that bad, as said faith in your kit and ability and it’s not actually that dangerous. Never been anywhere near that high though.

I’m sure that tv video or very similar has been doing the rounds a few years. What about the uni cycling Russian on the chimney stack? That’s just pure idiocy.

One of my favourites for actually making my palms sweat is the one of Fred Dibnah going up that big chimney up north with the overhang on it, no ropes and loaded with gear. 😯

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3R3-YwDZrzg[/video]

smartay

We have a 20ft plus hedge at the
    back of our house, cutting that off the ladders is enough, tried topnof scaffoldingbn
    but feels really exposed
    walk regularly in Snowdonia and job means I have to clamber a bit or use platforms but doesn’t bother me, just this hedge a

bodgy
    Free Member

Sod that. All of it.

I’ve done my time climbing gert big trees with chainsaws and stuff, and I’m bloody glad to see the back of it.

globalti
    Free Member

I would be happy climbing that thing, I reckon. I used to rock climb and would love to climb something like a medieval cathedral spire but it would terrify me because I wouldn’t trust the thin weathered limestone to support my weight.

mmannerr

Few years ago there was this video about a guy climbing some tall tower without using the safety gear. He was going to change the lamp or something and I recall vaguely that he was identified somehow and that there were some consequences?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s all the same thing though – confidence in your abilities. To me at least the unicycling bit is about the least stupid bit of that video. Would you happily walk around that brick bit? I reckon I would, because I know I’m not going to fall off doing it. I don’t think my unicycling is quite at that level, but it’s not far off and it doesn’t seem totally impossible, and I certainly know people for whom riding is like walking. Much of the rest of that video is totally nuts though.

One of my favourites for actually making my palms sweat is the one of Fred Dibnah going up that big chimney up north with the overhang on it, no ropes and loaded with gear.

Far from the maddest thing I’ve seen him do – that also seems like something I’d do. John Noakes did after all do something very similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4YFCJETmwI

How about standing on wobbly scaffolding at the top of a chimney?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e0C57orM1s#t=33m40s

kcr
    Free Member

Do you think he has something missing in his brain which prevents the fear, or something extra which gives him such supreme confidence in his body’s ability?

The Guardian just did an article about Alex Honnold, who climbed 900m of El Capitain in Yosemite without ropes. Tests of his brain activity suggest that it just doesn’t fire in response to stress conditions in the same way as the average person. He is also extremely well prepared.

bigblackshed

No, no, no, no, no……….no

I’ve had what feels like electric shocks running through my bladder whilst watching that. I now need a piss. But I’ve got to climb the stairs and that is sometimes a step too far.

CountZero

I won’t go up a ladder to clear the gutters, so no way I could find out.
    It’s not the falling, it’s the abrupt stop at the bottom…
    Just watched that Fred Dibnah film, never seen it before. *** me sideways! 😯
    It’s a wonder he could climb a ladder with cojones that big!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The Guardian just did an article about Alex Honnold, who climbed 900m of El Capitain in Yosemite without ropes. Tests of his brain activity suggest that it just doesn’t fire in response to stress conditions in the same way as the average person. He is also extremely well prepared.

Isnt this essentially psychopathy?

sparkyrhino

Been lucky enough to go up Emley Moor mast,a couple of times, for radio kit mtce. Once it was very cloudy, and the 2nd time fantastic clear views, long lift ride was the worst part.Good sway at the top both times.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Thing is with that Dibnah video is that he had to rope those ladders on those overhangs on first. How did he do it? Seriously!

bloodynora
    Free Member

Newrobdob
    There are lots of Youtube vids of Fred…… There is one called ‘How to erect a chimney scaffold’…… Like you say he had to lash the ladders 200 odd foot up the chimney before the serious work even started!
    Balls of steel that bloke
    Swinging round on a Bosun’s chair 200ft up knocking the stakes in to support the base of the scaffold. Insane…… no safety lanyard or hook on….. just Fred in his boiler suit, flat cap, dog end in his gob and a bolster hammer and chisel….
    He was born of a different era thats for sure…. used to bunk off from school to ride on the footplate of steam engines when he was a lad think thats where his love of all things victorian engineering came from

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘No, no, no, no …. (heights video)’ is closed to new replies.