Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • No Name Brand roof-top bike carriers
  • SaxonRider

Has anyone on here tried one of them? I realise that there are different options, but I am wondering if there are any dangers in using one instead of spending 4 to 5 times the amount on a Thule.

They have these ones on eBay, and I need to buy at least two of them.

craigxxl
    Free Member

There is a reason why people recommend Thule and other branded makes and that is the quality and if anything does break you can get spares for them. Would you also trust a budget item to hold your bikes secure.
    My bikes and car I prefer to have peace of mind.

I would look at 2nd hand racks rather than buying the cheapest one out of China.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Having used a cheap roof carrier a few years ago and having that sickening feeling watching a mates bike bounce down the m69 at 8am on a Sunday morning I buy the best racks I can afford. £80 for a good carrier is worth it in peace of mind alone. Just my 2p.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    darkslider
    Free Member

To add a bit of balance I’ve got an identical one to the one you posted and I’ve had no issues with it. The coach bolt supplied wasn’t long enough to allow the clamp to fit around most alloy downtubes so I had to fit a longer bolt, and the guide rail won’t fit huge volume tyres very well i.e DH bikes. With everything tightened up and a few straps it seems quite secure.

You need to use your noggin though and actually check it regularly and give it a good look to make sure your bike is on there solidly and isn’t going to come off. I’ve never had a bike rack fail or a bike come off in the 8 or so years I’ve been using one because I use them properly, 9 times out of 10 bikes coming off racks of any quality are down to user error. Even if something fails on a rack you should have seen damage/cracks or bended bits if you’d actually looked before using it.

But, like the other’s said if you want complete peace of mind and something you know you’ll probably never have any problems with spend a bit more and get a thule/pendle/whatever.

matther01
    Free Member

I got 2 Thules for £110…still a lot but well worth it. Check out Ford dealers for cheap thules.

matt_outandabout

Thule for the win.
    I have seen cheap Halfords roof bars bend under a canoe, and slip off a roof on another car.
    I have an Altea? Bike carrier and compare to the Thule’s, it is rubbish and poorly made.
    Having said all that, a few years back Halfords ‘advanced’ bike carriers were re-badged Thule’s

angeldust
    Free Member

Not something I would look to save money on.

sc-xc

Should have kept the van 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘No Name Brand roof-top bike carriers’ is closed to new replies.