• This topic has 157 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P20.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)
  • No More Vulcan XH558 After This Season
  • P20
    wwaswas

It’s an impressive sight. If you get the chance it’s worth watching.

(not my film)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWO5zVPz4g[/video]

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Flies over our house reasonably regularly (near Elvington Airfield). I will miss this wonderful sight 😥 (and the AWESOME sound 😀 ).

Very fond memories of seeing pairs of Vulcans training around Scarborough in my yoof. How can something so big maneuver so well?

Edric64
    Free Member

Could it bomb the Argies for old time sake as its retirement flight !?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Will be trying to get to see it at least once this summer. I’ve seen it from a distance over Dunsfold from Pitch Hill, but never up close.

Why does machinery designed to kill people fascinate so much – same with the 2 Lancasters last summer. I just couldn’t get enough of it. (real shame that the BBMF one is out of action for the rest of the season)

slowoldman

Flies over our house reasonably regularly (near Elvington Airfield). I will miss this wonderful sight (and the AWESOME sound )/quote]
    In my yoof I lived just down the road from RAF Finningley. Fond memories of the Vulcans.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve already decided that I MUST see it this year.
    Im old enough to have seen them flying when I was young, but this year im going to head over to Bournemouth, as its my birthday the next that day.

martinhutch

Only time I’ve seen it at close quarters was it passing low over Rylstone Crag as I was halfway a climb solo. Nearly shat meself.

Impressive beast.

Pigface
    Free Member

Loud very very loud

Saw one on the ground at Brize Norton about 4 years ago, was amazed at how small it was sat next to the big American Globemaster

scruff
    Free Member

Flew right over me once while I was on a ride over local trials, I reckon I could have hit it with a decent catapult. Amazing sight and the noise was beyond 11.

allthegear
    Free Member

Felt very lucky to see it in close formation with it’s two ancestors, the Lancasters, last year.

Rachel

Northwind

I remember seeing it as a kid when it was still allowed to do full power flybys… Apocalyptic stuff 😆 Shame but they always knew it was on a countdown, I thought maybe they should have cut down on the long distance flights especially when it was stuck on vfr but then, I suppose it would have cost a lot to keep parked for most of the year anyway and some of the issues that are grounding it are more about time than wear and tear.

I suppose some people will be asking questions about how they’ve been funding (and sourcing parts) for it with the axe hanging over it… But then it’s always had the axe hanging over it

PA474 says “Tell me again about your how you’re getting old”

darkcove

If you get chance go on one of the hanger tours, it’s a formidable sight close up. Plus you also get to see the complexity of the wing that you don’t appreciate from afar.

Take of from Finningley last September:

[video]http://youtu.be/Zlatmgk-h1g[/video]

P20

Great documentary on the Falklands raid

[video]https://youtu.be/PBJ99bIhAVk[/video]

midlifecrashes

She is airborne over Lincolnshire. Just watched a perfect takeoff. Heading for Scamp ton, Waddington and Elvington for air tests to get this years certifications. Pics when I get home. Due back Finningley 6pm onwards.

jimw
    Free Member

It seems I am the only one who will not regret the grounding of a large Aluminium triangular begging bowl. I admire the effort that has gone into the flying, but I am very uncomfortable with the constant ‘we need £200,000 now’ pleas and the way the management of the charity has taken up quite a bit of the donations.

I have not seen it fly since the restoration, nor am I particularly bothered. I am genuinely pleased for those who have enjoyed the beast, but personally it is about 10-20 years too new for my aviation interests.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Could it bomb the Argies for old time sake as its retirement flight !?

So they could miss the target again ?

oldboy
    Free Member

I had a model of it as a child, might have been Airfix but can’t remember – awesome aeroplane.

midlifecrashes

Must get a longer lens this year. And remember to turn off autofocus.

curvature
    Free Member

I’ve got one trip sorted to see it at the Pageant of Power.

It’s the engines that have got to the end of their working live as I understand it. They carried out extensive modifications to the wings structures the other year to extend it’s live.

Full power runs actually do less harm than lots of changes in running speed.

There is another working Vulcan down at Wellesbourne near Stratford upon Avon but they have never taken it further to get a certificate to fly. One reason is cost but also they have to strip out so much in the cockpit to bring it up to modern standards.

Well worth a visit. When I went a few years ago we were allowed to climb up into the cockpit which was really quite a sight. One of the guys showing us around used to work on Vulcans when they were in service. He got to fly in them a few times when they used to check on repairs and also delivering parts to other Vulcans.

When I asked him where he sat he said that as they always had a full crew they made him sit on the floor! They would then always do a full power take off and stand it up vertically just to show him what they could do. He said it was a little uncomfortable.

Edric64
    Free Member

They didn’t miss the target they managed to do just enough to stop the fast jets using the runway.It was also enough for the Argies to think that it could be done again .

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It seems I am the only one who will not regret the grounding of a large Aluminium triangular begging bowl. I admire the effort that has gone into the flying, but I am very uncomfortable with the constant ‘we need £200,000 now’ pleas and the way the management of the charity has taken up quite a bit of the donations.

I have not seen it fly since the restoration, nor am I particularly bothered. I am genuinely pleased for those who have enjoyed the beast, but personally it is about 10-20 years too new for my aviation interests.

Pretty much my sentiments. A colleague at work, who knows his aviation stuff told me that the chairman of the charity was on 90K a year! (no facts to back this up mind)

Anyway, most of you lot missed the best bits of Vulcan displays, in the 70’s & 80’s they were chucked around the skies like toys but the best I ever saw was a 4 Vulcan scramble at Finningley in 1977 during the queens silver jubilee show. First time the Tornado was seen in public too IIR.

northernmatt

Hopefully they’ll schedule in another appearance at the Sunderland Airshow. Saw it a year or so back but nothing will be better than the Finningley Airshow back in the early 90’s when it did a flyby on full power. As a 9-10yr old boy it amazed me and scared the crap out of me at the same time.

curvature
    Free Member

Pictures from 2010 at Wellesbourne

jag61

just got home afterstoppingand watching a ‘display’ at side of A64 nr york. caused quite a queue Stood and watched for about 10 mins made my day 😀 😀 😀 anyone else? what was going on?

SludgeJudge

I’ve been wanting to see it for years but never managed to. Last summer it flew low level directly over our back garden but I missed it because I was hoovering upstairs……absolutely gutted! 🙁

crazy-legs

I’ve seen it a few times. Windermere airshow, Leuchars airshow plus a few flybys. Was most annoying that it didn’t make it to Southport on the day I was there.

The day after Southport, the two Lancs did a Derwent Reservoir run and there had been talk of getting the Vulcan along too. But then they found out it wouldn’t fit in the valley!

I think the Welshpool airshow is the closest one to me this year, will go and see it there.

curvature
    Free Member

It’s good at Welshpool! Saw it there a couple of years ago.

ianpv
    Free Member

My Dad used to fly them in the 70s. Never got a ride! Although I was pretty excited the one day I got to see the inside!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Had a fantastic view on my way home this evening over Elvington. Tight turns, powering upwards, and (as I said above) AWESOME noise.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have a read of this…
    http://www.neam.co.uk/wingate.html

That Vulcan flew over our school just before it banked to port & crashed, I was 14 at the time. I’ll never forget that!

KonaTC

I feel extremely privileged to have worked on Vulcan’s. So sad another piece of our aviation history is being lost for ever.

Ewan
    Free Member

Few from Farnborough, shame they can’t run the engines at full power any more 🙁

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cD8yqJ]IMG_0867.jpg[/url] by Ewan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cD8CrS]IMG_0918.jpg[/url] by Ewan, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/cD8DNq]IMG_0926.jpg[/url] by Ewan, on Flickr

survivor

esselgruntfuttock: My Dad is from Wingate so had this story from him as well… Read the actual details of the accident a few years ago now. Was very lucky no one was hurt. I bet they still talk about it in the village now.

Northwind

Sludge Judge – Member

Last summer it flew low level directly over our back garden but I missed it because I was hoovering upstairs……absolutely gutted!

We’re under one of the flightpaths for leuchars so we often get overflights during the airshow or on the days surrounding it… Much cooler seeing these things in the wild than at the circus I think. Had a DC3 in d-day paint come over me in the pentlands so low, I could probably have hit it with a well thrown rock, very cool.

aracer
    Free Member

Have also had it fly directly overhead here. As you say, it’s cool when you’re not expecting it and haven’t gone out specifically to see it.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Says it all really.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNV4yv8N4mA[/video]

JoeG
    Free Member

We’ve got 76 of these still flying in the USAF. They plan to keep them in service till 2044…

trademark
    Free Member

Esselgruntfuttock, what a thrilling read. Bob Alcock must have been one cool guy! Is the crater still there, preserved?

hora
    Free Member

Thank you for this. Which appearances are up north??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘No More Vulcan XH558 After This Season’ is closed to new replies.