Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • (No longer particularly) New Top Fuel Race bike
  • njee20
    Free Member

Oh hi there! I’ve actually been riding this for a while now, just not got around to taking photos. Well I’ve now done so, sort of, they’re rubbish, but it’s there to be ridden, not photographed, I’ll get some outdoorsy ones when the sun’s out!

– 2011 Top Fuel 9.9
    – Fox FIT RL Remote 100 fork with tapered steerer
    – XTR 10 speed groupset with custom made ti chainring (as it’s a gay unique BCD) race brakes with KCNC 160/140 rotors
    – Home made bodged chain device, as I refuse to pay £85 for the E13/MRP offerings, it’s a Superstar BB mounted one, with a DMR seat tube mount and a couple of rack stays. A friend is making a carbon one which will look far better!
    – Podium wheelset with A2Z hubs and Revs, £300 and 1246g, including tape and valves. Not bad. Rocket Rons for the weigh in.
    – Odd Egg Beaters after I broke one a couple of weeks ago, can’t decide between some new 3s, or some old ti ones if I can get a deal
    – New Ultimate stem, Bonty bars/saddle etc

Still need some lighter skewers, KCNC do an ABP one. Needs some more alu bolts, I wanted to like the green, but a) they’re hard to find, and b) they don’t suit, shame! With a pimpy carbon chain guide it should be reet. Want to get sub-20lbs with Rocket Rons, fitting Furious Freds would do it instantly, but they’re not really a sensible tyre! May get an XX cassette too, as I was impressed by the durability last season, and they’re lighter. And an X10SL. But that’s it. Maybe.

Also need to trim the hoses, there’s about a foot of spare rear brake hose hiding in the frame.

It goes very fast, the paint is rubbish, scratches if you look at it, and the BB bearings died in one ride, otherwise it’s awesome.

Feel free to massage my ego, or tell me it’s gopping.

Loads more here

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Are tthe wheels reliable, bombproofish ?

Have you got the KCNC skewer for the back yet, if so is it any good ?

Water
    Free Member

Looks great, huge fan of the chainring! Where did you get it made up?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

How can you be a huge fan of a chainring??

avdave2

How can you be a huge fan of a chainring??

He’s printed out the picture and put in on his bedroom wall.

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Those Bonti bars and saddle are like anchor’s. and find some Sid XX World Cups for upfront..other than that good effort looks nice.

Got a new WW Anthem in the making for next season, will post closer to the time.

njee20
    Free Member

Are tthe wheels reliable, bombproofish ?

Raced on them all year with no issues, used them for quite a bit of normal riding too. Slight dent in the rear rim from a mistimed log-hop, otherwise fine.

Have you got the KCNC skewer for the back yet, if so is it any good ?

Yes I have. Not really, it’s too long, and there’s not enough thread, so you can’t use the captive nut, you have to use their nut on the outside. Could just put a few more turns of thread on it, but not too sure about cutting threads on the skewer as there’s not much material to start with. I’d not bother with one though. The front is just a bit scary too, I use a Mt Zoom one on the front, feels like it actually holds the wheel in!

Looks great, huge fan of the chainring! Where did you get it made up?

It’s by Mathias Hellore, held up really well, I broke a chainring bolt and bent the ring, bent it back with a big adjustable and it’s still fine. No real signs of wear either.

Those Bonti bars and saddle are like anchor’s. and find some Sid XX World Cups for upfront..other than that good effort looks nice.

Bars replaced with Mt Zoom, saddle is a surprising 155g (IIRC – was lighter than a Phenom SL), and it’s a carbon rail job, so I’d need new seatpost fittings which I CBA with. It’s comfy too, and has outlasted all the Toupes/SLRs/Phenoms I’ve used.

Did want to swap to SIDs (not XXs though, pointless IMO, just standard WCs), but there’s chuff all market to sell the tapered Fox, and I don’t dislike them enough to spend hundreds more on the SIDs.

Looks more like this now:

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Full latest XTR bag, XX Sids, 22.02 lb. Cant see where I can shave a Lb off !!

alfabus
    Free Member

cheapskate.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cant see where I can shave a Lb off !!

Well, there’s a chainring or two to loose, together with a shifter and cable.
    Swap the SPDs for 3ti Eggbeaters
    Change the tyres
    Cut that steerer down

For starters! 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not the lightest of wheelsets. Skewers? Lighter bolts all over? Chainstay protector and that rubber ring thing on your fork leg 😉

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

LOL.

Some funny answers but think TBH its as light as it gets without having reliabilty issues, as it will be getting a thrashing !

D0NK

Hang on KKF has that got a granny ring on it?

wwaswas

you could cut that little red ring on the right stanchion off now you’ve got the sag etc set.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Donk, no its a 2 x 10.

Anyone know where I can just get the brackets that attached the shifters directly to the levers, the i-spec thingy ?

njee20
    Free Member

Full latest XTR bag, XX Sids, 22.02 lb. Cant see where I can shave a Lb off !!

Yep, those comments above would do it.

What are your wheels – are they Hope hubs on 355s? My Pro 2s/Crests are 1585g, my race wheels are 1246g, so there’s a chunk.

Nics are getting on for 2/3lb heavier than Rons. Your stem is heavier, your bars are heavier, rotors are heavier, the frame’s different. Not sure on the fork, but the XX SIDs weigh more than having a crown mounted lockout.

Anyone know where I can just get the brackets that attached the shifters directly to the levers, the i-spec thingy ?

They’re a rip off, about £60 for the pair, just fit aluminium bolts, to all the clamp bolts, costs about £3 and saves more weight!

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

njee20, fair comment on the wheels and tyres, got some Rons for next season, yeh 355 on hope pro 2’s.

How much for the brkts FGS !!!!!!!!!!!

Bars are raceface 3/4 riser SL 155g (with 2cm chopped off both sides so lighter :D)
    stem 174g
    forks 1410 g

njee20
    Free Member

Stem is 102g, and my Mt Zoom bars came in at 152g, so I take a whole 3g there 😉

Adds up pretty quickly!

Can’t remember what the fork weighs, not the lightest though, that’s the obvious place to drop a bit of weight, but like I said oop there, don’t fancy spending that sort of money on it!

It’s getting (too late I know…) geeky now, but that chainstay protector is pretty heavy too!

Moda
    Free Member

Looks nice, can you use any chainrings with the new XTR cranks. I would be looking at a double set up for my new Spark 29 when I get my hands on the frame in Jan…

njee20
    Free Member

The triple and the 22/36 double is a standard 64/104 BCD, the larger doubles are 88mm, so you need special rings. Homebrew Components do them I believe.

No real reason not to get the M985 double though frankly – unless you want drastically different ratios.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

njee20, is it me or is their not much difference between pro pedal on and off, it was set up in a trek dealer bike shop while i was there as well ?

On my blur that has a rp23 their is a big difference…

njee20
    Free Member

Not a vast difference no, I tend to leave it on 95% of the time. I keep meaning to fit the remote lockout to mine, see if I use it more!

GaryLake
    Free Member

Conversely I leave my Superfly’s pro pedal off al the time, also an ABP rear…

njee20
    Free Member

You’ve probably got a bit more air in it? to be honest I should fiddle with it more, but I like how it rides!

grtdkad

Liking both bikes there. Both as light/lighter than my carbon HT!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Get rid of one of the fork legs, save a bit of weight 😮

GaryLake
    Free Member

Getting full travel on most rides so wouldn’t say it was over sprung. Just find ABP pedals so well anyway that I rarely feel the need to flick the lever.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘(No longer particularly) New Top Fuel Race bike’ is closed to new replies.