• This topic has 171 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)
  • No kids & Having the snip
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

and a little arrogant for people on the other hand to think they’re special in not wanting kids.

I’m not aware of anyone who thinks this or has expressed and opinion anything like this.

canny1
    Free Member

We didn’t want kids, together over 20 years, then she hit 40.
    OMFG that timebomb went off big style, I couldn’t escape!!
    Now got 6 month old twins at 44……..

thegeneralist
    Free Member

‘fishin.
    Sorry what I meant to say was it was naive of people to think that they alone didn’t want kids and would continue to do so. There’s stacks of people who went through the same thought process of “I DON’T WANT KIDS AND NEVER WILL” and then a few years later changed their minds and had them. Some people will stick with the opinion, and all credit to them, but they are in the minority.

Just to be clear, I couldn’t think of many things worse than hav

Oh it doesn’t matter, come back in 15 years time and lets have the conversation then.

kayak23

hora – Member

My partners desire to have kids was zip, negative, narda until she hit 80 then it was I WANT KIDS.

😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you think you’re not cut out for it, or even worse would make a shit job of it, then you and any unsuspecting progeny would be far better off without the risk of it happening. Hope it all goes smoothly.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Oh it doesn’t matter, come back in 15 years time and lets have the conversation then.

Is really the best you can come up with? Quite why you think having this conversation when I’m 55 is in any way relevant is beyond me.

BigJohn

I can understand not wanting kids.

But grandkids are the best thing ever.

Or is it EVVA?

bikebouy
    Free Member

As mentioned earlier I had similar experiences with mates going through my 20’s/30’s and now 40’s having children and all it’s done is made there lives a lot harder and more expensive and less time for other friends and family. It seems a constant monologue of ” I don’t have enough time/money/effort ” etc. and mates groups have split because of it, then years later when their kids have grown up and moved away or are teenagers it seems mates then get back in touch and say ” hey, how are you it’s been a while, fancy a ride ? ” my attitude is , nah bugger off, when I wanted to go riding and called on you many many times you slammed the door in my face with an exasperated look of Kid hell despair.

Your choice to have kids, don’t blame anyone else for continuing with their lives if they choose not to have them.

As for partners wanting kids, and you don’t, well there’s only two outcomes IMO, No and if you persist then bugger off and find someone else or accept that I don’t want them. MrsBouy and I went through all the normal ” should we, shouldn’t we ” scenarios, most of it coming from her if I’m honest, I always stood my ground, no was a consistent reply. It came to a head a few years ago and I got so fed up with the constant whining I moved back home to the coast. We hadn’t quite split up but it wasn’t far off. Clearly now we are back together yet on occasion the topic rears it’s head when in family or groups of mates etc. yet it was always her choice to be with me and mine to be with her.

This choice is no social experiment, it’s not the way of the world to have kids, proving humans can still produce humans is not a human constraint nor is it an indicator that we are superior to animals in that we seem to be able to choose to either have or have no kids. I expect once we learn to speak Ant they will say similar words to us, some want kids, some don’t.

Whilst I’m on, IVF is a very very blunt instrument enabler (or not) I’ve seen first hand two mates go through hell and financial ruin and eventual split only to meet someone else and carry on either with or without having kids ( one went on to have one kid, the other still has no kids )

Stoic comments about ” but what if ? ” and pinning those comments down to what ever may happen in the future are totally irrelevant in circumstances where choice not have kids is involved. We choose not to have them because we choose not to have them, end of.

I think I’ve made my points clear, no amount of internet arguments will change that and I feel that trying to persuade someone whose clearly chosen not to have kids and is asking about the snip, whether good or bad, is an option steers so far from the original question that maybe some people don’t understand the viewpoint of the OP.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think the OP has always been nothing less than very clear about his opinions of children. Why anybody would want to change his mind by posting on this thread is frankly ridiculous.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

34, kid free, missus is 43.

She wanted them I didn’t, a big deal but we got through it. Now we are happy without for a lot of reasons that I won’t go into here. Short version is it’s not for everyone and generally the breaders don’t get it. The reasons I haven’t gone for the op is I don’t want unnecessary surgery and I certainly don’t want it there,

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

generally the breaders don’t get it.

Generally people who wish to make themselves feel better by denigrating the choices of others don’t get it, whicever “side” they inhabit.

badnewz
    Free Member

Can’t you just wrap your present? I’ve no interest in having kids but the snip is pretty extreme.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

DD I quite understand people desire to procreate and have little things to dote on, it’s just in modern society deciding not to bread is seen as failure either as you are broken medically or mentally.

Some people on this thread are hammering on how the OP might change his mind and he should wait and see, just in case but some of us just don’t want to.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes mike, and some people make patronising comments, like, say…

have little things to dote on

Why not make your choice, be happy with it and not worry about what “everyone” else thinks.

Houns

Without going in to details I’ve been through a couple of scares in the past whilst using contraceptives. Another reason why I want this done

cinnamon_girl

This thread has taken a sinister turn …

Houns

Has it?

cinnamon_girl

I think so, some are getting quite het up. I’m oot.

Jamie
    Free Member

Has it?

Yup. I’m hiding under your bed.

Cougar

Looking for Wordsworth?

brakes
    Free Member

you could always “take” your “business” “elsewhere”*

nudge nudge
    wink wink

*crafty butcher

miketually
    Free Member

^^^not read all that^^^

A friend’s wife has a heart condition which meant any unplanned pregnancy would be fatal, and even a planned one would require surgery first, and still be very risky. They discussed it and decided it wasn’t worth the risk. He got referred for a vasectomy after explaining his reasoning; I think he would have been 30 or so at the time.

sputnik
    Free Member

What is a “breader”?

zippykona

What is a “breader”?

Posted 37 seconds ago #
    Hopefully they mean breeder.

sputnik
    Free Member

Ah! Thought it was someone who slings dough around 😉

D0NK

At 25 I was pretty sure I didn’t want kids and I had considered having the snip – didn’t have a hankering for someone taking a knife to my tackle but contraception is a pita. 38 now and 2 kids later I’m considering the snip again 🙂

I’d say consider it carefully but I can fully understand the “no kids for me thanks” sentiment.

Cougar

Interesting thread, this. I’m both disappointed and reassured by some of the comments here.

I don’t want kids. I’ve never wanted kids, and at 42 and counting I’m confident that this isn’t going to change. People bring their kids into work sometimes; the (largely female) half of the office grinds to a cooing halt, my reaction is “take that bloody thing away from me” and I’ll go and find somewhere else to be. I simply don’t have the parental gene, there is no child-shaped hole in my life and the ever-so-predictable bleating of “but WWHHHHYYYYYY?!” isn’t going to change that.

It’s a similar reaction to the one I get sometimes when people find out I’m vegetarian. I’ve been veggie for over half my life, and in hindsight I never really wanted to eat meat even before I knew what a vegetarian was. So to suggest that I’m somehow in a massive ball of denial because I saw a dead cow when I was six or some other hokey logic, and that I might wake up tomorrow with a sudden craving for a Big Mac with extra bacon, is frankly condescending.

A couple of points:

1) Just because I’m veggie, or childless, does not mean that I expect you to be. You don’t need to get defensive and you don’t need to justify doing something different from me. You don’t need to tell me how you couldn’t possibly be vegetarian as you love chicken too much, triumphantly point at my leather shoes and tell me I’m doing it wrong, or try to persuade me that removing crayon from the carpet and baby sick from car upholstery is your favouritest thing in the whole world. I didn’t ask you to do any of those things; you want 2.4 children you can take to a steakhouse, knock yourself out, I don’t care.

2) Similarly, I do not have to justify my lifestyle choices to you. The answer to “why” is “because I want to.” Do you honestly think that in the four decades I’ve been on this planet I’ve given less thought about my own life decisions than the 30 seconds you’ve just given it? Bog off and leave me alone.

I do take the point of course that any irreversible decision needs to be thought about very carefully. Having a foot high back tattoo of Walter White from Breaking Bad might seem like a fantastic idea when you’re 18, but it’s going to look like Michael Jackson’s sat too close to the fire by the time you’re 80. So comments along the lines of “I never wanted kids, but I changed my mind” are helpful. But you need to understand and respect that for some people “not wanting children” actually really is an absolute stance.

badnewz
    Free Member

But you need to understand and respect that for some people “not wanting children” actually really is an absolute stance.

Sure, but the poster has asked for advice, so I’m assuming his stance isn’t absolute and so the question is open.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Sure, but the poster has asked for advice, so I’m assuming his stance isn’t absolute and so the question is open.

Did you actually read anything that he’s written in the thread before presuming that?

Houns

Badnewz I was asking if anyone faced any issues with having their GP refer them. The question is certainly not open

fasthaggis

Tsk,people that don’t read the original post ,tsk

Anyone had the snip without having children? Any problems getting your GP to refer you?

rene59
    Free Member

To all the people saying you shouldn’t have this procedure done in your 20’s and 30’s but wait ‘cos you might change your mind in your 40’s.

You could apply the same argument to having children!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I’ve got no beef for those with kids, in life you do what makes you happy. If kids tick that box go for it.

I just couldn’t think of anything worse, don’t have enough hours in the day as it is. When someone unexpectedly tells me their having a kid it’s just not something that even raises my eyebrow, my overall reaction is usually “meh”

Tell me you’ve got a new bike then I’m interested lol

igm

I got a new bike for my kids to ride…

lunge

I’m in the no kids camp as well. 34, wife is 29 and a teacher and between the 2 of us there is not a single parental desire. I do quite like spending time with my niece but am very grateful when she departs. If I could have the snip without surgery I would but I’d rather keep the surgeons knife away from that area thank you.

midlifecrashes

No probs getting the referral from the GP here. Referred to another GP in town who does them under local, in the clinic rather than hospital job. Maybe three days of manageable pain with no bike for a week, no riding for two. 😉

Opted for mine after my third child, felt the family was complete. If I’d felt it was complete before the first, I’d have happily gone for it in my twenties.

brassneck

No probs getting the referral from the GP here.

Having 3 kids puts a different spin on it – The OP is questioning the GPs attitude to him and his situation & choice, and I can see he might have a slight issue as the GP has a duty of care to explain it is considered non reversible. I think age has a large bearing too.

Of course the obvious question is why aren’t you just asking your GP?

highlandman
    Free Member

Got snipped in my thirties, now late forties and absolutely no regrets. I’m in a different relationship now to the one then, which at the time seemed to be a permamant relationship. But still no regrets. No difficulties with health professionals; they asked questions, accepted the answers.
    Procedure done at hospital under general, had some bleeding and swelling after so must have been a bit rushed. Otherwise fine, then one morning my 9kg cat decide to jump onto my lap as I woke and sat up in the mnorning. He landed right on the critical zone. I wasn’t impressed.

D0NK

You could apply the same argument to having children!

erm, changing your mind is physically very easy, vasectomies OTOH are pretty tricky to reverse

BigDummy
    Free Member

No experience to add. Just noting that it isn’t my business but I can understand how you’d feel that way. I’m your age.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘No kids & Having the snip’ is closed to new replies.