• This topic has 171 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)
  • No kids & Having the snip
  • Houns

Anyone had the snip without having children? Any problems getting your GP to refer you?

GP appt. booked in a couple of weeks, would like to get done sooner rather than later (as in going to see various people to convince them I want it doing)

cinnamon_girl

I don’t know what age you are Houns but do you really need to do this?

footflaps

Surely DIY is easy, couple of bricks and a stiff drink.

Houns

36 and yes.

jag61

If you go with Footflaps idea (and why not) mind you thumbs or you will not get the desired effect but half flattened nads and sore thumbsI had to convince them it was a good idea as i looked young back then and 3rd daughter on route!even the cats are female … i look a lot older now 🙁

clubber
    Free Member

I had heard that you need some sort of counselling if you’re under 40.

Houns

Poor fella

I’m just wondering if they’ll refuse to refer me as I don’t have (and don’t chuffin’ well want) kids

Houns

Hmm, I need counselling for many things but not for this 😆

cinnamon_girl

Could you not just put it off for a few years? It’s a huge decision and, in this life, one never knows what’s around the corner.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do it. I nearly backed out of mine, despite having 2 kids. The guy says to me: “are you sure about this”, and I’m “yeah, of course, the wife and I have discussed it and-“

“Wait a minute” he says. “Your wife? What does your wife have to do with it?”

“How do you mean?”, I said.

“Well”, he says, “she might not always be here, despite what you think. What if, for example, 2 years from now she dies, and you meet someone else younger. How would that person and you feel about your inability to have a child?”

It really sat me back, and meant I had to go and think about it for half an hour. In the end I went through with it. But with no kids- why?

Houns

I’ve known 20+ years that I don’t want children. My mind is certainly made up. You’re right that you don’t know what’s around the corner, and by having the snip I’m ruling out one nasty surprise

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ll get my shears…

Houns

I wouldn’t progress any relationship with anyone that wants kids. If they did then they certainly wouldn’t be the one for me (and I certainly not the one for them)

Houns

*unzips*

(You’re fine with just a pair of nail scissors)

cinnamon_girl

That’s a pretty strongly-worded statement, why so anti?

mangoridebike

cinnamon_girl – Member

Could you not just pull it off for a few years?

it would keep him occupied, certainly 😉

sorry CG my modification of your post was how I read it at first

woody2000

You can get it done privately if the NHS are insistent on counselling etc. ~£400 at Marie Stopes for instance

OzInbred

yeah had it done about age 35, no questions from the doc, referred me to the local NHS hospital and all was straightforward. the wife and I always knew we didn’t want kids so it wasn’t a tough decision, certainly easier than my wife going through the whole sterilization procedure.

Houns

cinnamon_girl – Member

Where shall I start?! Actually I won’t, I’ll leave it at that

Houns

Thank you Oz, just what I wanted to hear (thanks woody for mentioning that option too)

Jamie
    Free Member

Why so pro? Let the man hack his junk.

Houns

😆

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

we’ve no kids and have no plans to have any. It’s a bit late for us anyway. Mrs DD not keen on me having the snip, although I’m happy to. I’ve left it up to her…
    I understand the OP’s thinking 100% regarding kids.

back2basics
    Free Member

yup done it at 40, GP was fine, few questions and on the day surgeon asked again, never want/wanted kids, and not thought about it since really.

soobalias
    Free Member

same boat houns, as im sure we discussed before, always knew i didnt want kids (now stuck with two steps (19/20) after getting married a couple of years back i decided to take the plunge and was generally made aware that the GP might be a little cautious, but that with the wifes backing, it wouldnt be a NO, I was the same age you are now.

eventual stumbling block was the wife – no idea why, but shes dead against it? bought shares in durex instead which is my pension plan.

Houns

Reassuring, again thanks

footflaps

Have you see children in the flesh? Horribly snotty little things making a noise and messing everything up.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, my wife and I don’t want kids.
    Not gone as far as getting the snip though – in our early 30s, so things …could.. change.

When you tell people you don’t want kids – have no interest in kids even, they just don’t get it. Some people get really annoyed actually! Not like I’m asking them not to have any…?

Houns

The look on their faces when I tell them must be the same look on my face when they tell me they want kids

rene59
    Free Member

Kids are for skids …

endurogangster
    Free Member

It would be like having a gun and only firing blanks, no danger no point!

oldboy
    Free Member

Don’t do it!

Drac

It’ll not be an issue they’ll ask you are you sure they do anyway, because they should after all it’s a procedure and they do get people coming back for a reversal, then they’ll let you choose and book a date.

cinnamon_girl

houns – sorry, I wasn’t prying. Kids obviously don’t suit everybody but such finality?

racefaceec90

i wish you good luck houns.

i also have no desire to have children either (am 39).

just never had the desire to be a father tbh.

Houns

Yeah, I don’t want any little accidents

choppersquad
    Free Member

I had the snip in my 20’s for various reasons.
    My GP was fine and didn’t have any reason not to let me have it done…..in fact he did it himself.

Android
    Free Member

They say you can have it reversed though not a 100% success rate.

You could always bash a few out and keep them in the freezer anyway, just in case, any excuse for a tommy……

Houns

There’s no reason why I’d want it reversed/keep a stash. Want the room in my freezer for chicken dippers

br
    Free Member

I had it done at 33, after my third was born.

If you are married/relationship then your GP will require her to agree.

Paid less than £100 at a local GP’s.

But single and under 40, why would you?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 172 total)

The topic ‘No kids & Having the snip’ is closed to new replies.