Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • No helmet?
  • number562554
    Free Member

Why on earth are all these people falling off their bikes? Get some stabilisers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AndyRT – Member

It’s already happening. How many new trail sites are disappearing due to liabilities becoming prime cause to refuse entry to private land. With the potential for vast areas of forests becoming privately owned, this should occupy our thoughts more often. When has a single action not been a trigger for a further event? Everything is interconnected.

This is bullshine – its never happened

~andy – you need to read the CTC link I posted earlier.

On the surgeons – I know of an antipodean neurosurgeon who won’t ever wear a helmet because in his opinion you are more likely to get a rotational injury – thats a diffuse axonal injury if you wear a helmet rather than a focal injury if you don’t wear a helmet.

Focal injuries are much easier to recover from

some research shows 30% of all head injured helmet wearers have worse injuries due to this effect.

When you look at populations you see no decrease in injury rates with increase in helmet wearing

Hiya GW. Teh rest of you don’t want to see him when he is angry

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

TandemJeremy

Youre full of shit, were a **** lid.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jumpupanddown – actually I believe in evidence based practice. go and read the evidence. I provided you with some links to it

Unlike you I am a rational human being who understands risk. I wear a helmet when the riding I am doing merits it. I don’t when it does not.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

TandemJeremy
    well when you fall of with out one and mess ur brain up expect me to lol at you!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Judging by your spelling its already happened to you.

I have been cycling 40+ years with no injury.

GW
    Free Member

well when you fall of with out one and mess ur brain up expect me to lol at you!

What a knob

Janesy
    Free Member

TJ – where a **** lid – Stop being a pretentious knob.
    Arguing that there is no evidence that helmets help – The only evidence I need is personal experiences when I came off. Hurt badly and Im alive. nuff said.

Don’t bother replying with a dull reply.
    Thanks

edit – do you wear a seatbelt in a car?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

🙂

Don’t bother making a fallacious and nonsensical post then Janesy.

why should I wear a helmet to keep you happy? Just maybe you should open your mind and your eyes and read the evidence

Edit

yes – the evidence is good for them as it is for motorcycle helmets.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

Don’t bother making a fallacious and nonsensical post then Janesy.

why should I wear a helmet to keep you happy? Just maybe you should open your mind and your eyes and read the evidence

In 2005 the British Medical Association wrote, and in 2005 formally adopted, a position calling on the UK government to introduce cycle helmet legislation

Yes tandemwobbily clearly all doctors think they are useless.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

jumpupand down – and you need to know more about that decsion. It was pushed thru by a minority against very strong protests.

In November 2004, The British Medical Association announced that it was changing its stance on cycle helmets. BMA previously believed that helmet-wearing should be encouraged but should not be enforced by law, as this could reduce cycle use, undermining its wider health and other benefits. This change was formally endorsed as BMA policy at the BMA’s Annual Representatives Meeting (ARM) in July 2005.

The BMA’s previous policy was based on a comprehensive examination of the helmet issue, published in 1999. By contrast, the new stance is based on a short paper which takes a very selective view of the evidence, ignoring a great deal of evidence to the contrary; it cites a number of misleading (and in some cases incorrect) references without referring to published critiques of these; it identifies just one counter-argument to its conclusion (even though many are raised in the published literature), and this one argument is dismissed on entirely spurious grounds.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4690

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

TandemJeremy, well as you know all there is to know, about every thing ever. you must be right. (not)

miketually
    Free Member

There is actual anecdotal evidence that wearing a helmet affects spelling ability.

aracer
    Free Member

affects – presumably you’re a helmet wearer, mike?

aracer
    Free Member

well when you fall of with out one and mess ur brain up expect me to lol at you

Thankfully you only need to post for me to LOL at you.

Gribs

Out of interest do you wear a helmet in the car? When walking? If not then why not?

miketually
    Free Member

affects – presumably you’re a helmet wearer, mike?

Don’t know what you mean 😉

Did you bump the capital letters part of your head? 🙂

lynchmob
    Free Member

good points on either side i think. personally i wear a helmet when i go off road as the terrain is different & that is what a mountain bike was designed for. i dont wear a helmet when i cycle to work though as it is country road & all i need to concentrate on is pedalling. the roads are generally quiet (lucky me). if i ever did get hit by a car i cant see the helmet being much use. as has been said it is personal preference so dont fire back at me with how wrong & what a dumb arse i am as if you do you are a pleb. i dont knock people for wearing a helmet on the road. just my thoughts on the matter

gamo
    Free Member

Christ this gets boring, wear one if you want and dont if you dont!
    Nobody else should give a f__k.

aracer
    Free Member

Don’t know what you mean

I did think about waiting 15 minutes. Though now you’ve changed it, are you sure “effects” wouldn’t be the correct word? 😉

lynchmob
    Free Member

Christ this gets boring, wear one if you want and dont if you dont!
    Nobody else should give a f__k.
    couldnt of put it better myself

GW
    Free Member

I could have

😉

miketually
    Free Member

I did think about waiting 15 minutes. Though now you’ve changed it, are you sure “effects” wouldn’t be the correct word?

I’d say yes, but I’m not sure enough 🙂

I’ve been affected 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

couldnt of

well spotted GW that is pet hate of mine!

miketually
    Free Member

We need to effect some changes.

AndyRT
    Free Member

But who will be effected by the affect?

beanieripper
    Free Member

last big off i had (i never wear a helmet) resulted in a pretty torn up shoulder as i moved my un helmeted head to the side as i fell, obviously being aware i wasnt wearing a helmet and also being aware that shiny chalk and flint would crack my un helmeted head i decided that the rock/head interface wasnt going to be good..so sacrificed my shoulder. Or if i was wearing a helmet i may have decided that i should save my shoulder and sacrifice my helmeted head and neck which may hot have been the better option.. (theres some logic in there somewhere) but not ever wearing a helmet has affected my ability to not be a helmet, or use proper punctuation…

fourbanger
    Free Member

TJ, I crashed once wearing a blue jacket. No injuries. You can only imagine the injuries if I’d been wearing a red jacket. Anecdotal or not, the evidence is there. That blue jacket saved me from serious injury. If you don’t wear a blue jacket next time you’re cycling, you’ve only yourself to blame. You have been warned! Idiot.

donsimon
    Free Member

Unlike you I am a rational human being who understands risk. I wear a helmet when the riding I am doing merits it. I don’t when it does not.

Hmmmm! The evidence says what? 😉

higthepig
    Free Member

I crashed once, smashed the helmet and ended up with a slight headache, I assume the helmet served its purpose. I was riding once and a wasp flew into the helmet and stung me on the head as it couldn’t escape, I assume the helmet caused more harm in this situation.

I wear a helmet all the time, I also change my pants every day (just in case), each to their own.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

fourbanger – Member

TJ, I crashed once wearing a blue jacket. No injuries. You can only imagine the injuries if I’d been wearing a red jacket. Anecdotal or not, the evidence is there. That blue jacket saved me from serious injury. If you don’t wear a blue jacket next time you’re cycling, you’ve only yourself to blame. You have been warned! Idiot.

Post of the thread

Please repeat it everytime this crops up

aracer
    Free Member

The evidence says what?

There must be some really knarly rocks just out of shot on the left. No other possible explanation.

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘No helmet?’ is closed to new replies.