Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • No helmet cycling club shame.
  • ricky1
    Free Member

On my way out on my travels today I came across a cyclist wearing only a bandana for protection on his head,he was quite an old guy and was wearing a local cycling club jersey,Jo doubt if he came off he would be hurt badly.
    I found it a bit irresponsible with being in a cycling club and sends the wrong message out to youngsters or anyone who may have mixed feelings about wearing helmets,I wouldn’t feel sorry for people that don’t wear helmets that fall of but I do feel sorry for the air ambulance that have to rush out and save lives.

bails

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wow. The judgemental knows no bounds.

mooman
    Free Member

A very lazy Troll post ..

kennyp
    Free Member

On my way out on my travels today I came across a cyclist wearing only a bandana for protection on his head,he was quite an old guy and was wearing a local cycling club jersey,Jo doubt if he came off he would be hurt badly.

Actually, there’s plenty of doubt.

aP
    Free Member

You were strapped into your bucket seat with a 4 point harness, wearing a nomex suit, and a helmet driving weren’t you.
    Give it a miss.

ricky1
    Free Member

I take it people think it’s acceptable not to wear a helmet then?

nealglover
    Free Member

YaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaawn.

Very dull.

I take it people think it’s acceptable not to wear a helmet then?

Do what you like, you’re an adult (presumably)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What a pity. I thought this thread was about a cycling club where you didn’t have to wear a helmet. I would have signed up.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Where’s TJ when u need him…

speckledbob
    Free Member

That old guys probably been riding all his life without a helmet with no problems. Bandana though. Unforgivable.

avdave2

Did you not wonder how he ever made it to be old?
    I guess that would have taken a functioning mind,clearly something you are devoid of.

brooess
    Free Member

he was quite an old guy

Not dead yet then? Lack of helmet when riding not done him too much harm, clearly…

c120 dead cyclists in the UK per year
    30,000 people dying from obesity-related diseases, which cycling could have helped prevent and is an entirely self-imposed death.

Tell me again why riding without a helmet is a problem?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im pro helmet but i also pro in that its your choice.

Ive been down the road a few times.

The only time ive had an impact to my head a car was not only involved but was the entire cause of the accident.

I was wearing a helmet and smashed his windscreen and my helmet.

My prefered solution would be ban cars.

bearnecessities

My cat just farted.

rusty90
    Free Member

Tell me again why riding without a helmet is a problem?

Because if he falls off the air ambulance will have to rush out and save his life. Apparently.

iainc

I usually ignore such troll threads, however…….this time 2 weeks ago I was in A&E after a big off at Cathkin. I landed head first, was unconscious, broke nose in 4 places and have had a chunk of face surgery. Helmet split and is being replaced by Giro. The medics, with scans and xrays had no doubt in unanamous opinion that without a helmet I’d have been dead.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Kevlar bandana I would imagine

The facts show that its as dangerous as walking and you get more head injuries in a car.
    As others note you can make whatever appropriate decision you wish with this information

Round my way par ents make their kids wear one for cycling and ignore the risks when they are on a scooter even when on the rad super sick scooter park with jumps.

psling
    Free Member

I bet he wished he was wearing protective wear when you came across him… Disgusting behaviour by the trollOP 😯

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Would I have to put another helmet on to ride in the air ambulance?

sc-xc

Hair ambulance, Shirley?

ricky1
    Free Member

Point taken

devash
    Free Member

Kevlar bandana I would imagine

This. Been using one myself for a few years for DH work. Had a few nasty faceplants at Fort William but walked away without even a scratch.

OP obviously hasn’t been keeping up with the latest trends.

funkynick

I usually ignore such troll threads, however…….this time 2 weeks ago I was in A&E after a big off at Cathkin. I landed head first, was unconscious

Whereas I spent yesterday in A&E after managing to fall down the stairs in the middle of the night and land on my head… giving myself a fractured skull…

Does this mean I should be thinking of starting to wear a helmet to bed every night?

Northwind

iainc – Member

The medics, with scans and xrays had no doubt in unanamous opinion that without a helmet I’d have been dead.

Not to say they were wrong in your case, but I got the same line after my big road crash, everyone was totally convinced my helmet saved my life, except for the ambulance men who knew I wasn’t wearing one…

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ Northwind…no one is better convinced that a helmet saved their life than those being told so by medics in a hospital.

Do they know the slight decrease to acceleration of your brain was life saving? I doubt it.

iainc

Al – maybe’s aye, maybe’s naw 🙂 glad I had it on though !

eddiehonda
    Free Member

Daft fall a few weeks back, front wheel wash out on a frosty wooden bridge.

Kind of trail (family friendly cycle route) where I normally wouldn’t bother wearing a helmet but I was on my way to glentress so I had it on.

Fall took me completely by surprise, no time to arrest my fall and I properly slapped my head sideways off the tarmac with enough force to knock me clean out. My head was fine – shoulder is a different story though.

I’m definately pro-choice and I’ll never ride without one now. Its not the big un-survivable accidents that particularly worry me, its the daft little prat-falls – couldn’t forgive myself if I left my family having to look after me because of an easily avoidable head injury.

fasgadh
    Free Member

No doubt he got to his age by being very careful crossing bridges.

nealglover
    Free Member

The medics, with scans and xrays had no doubt in unanamous opinion that without a helmet I’d have been dead.

There is obviously no way they could tell that. (And I’ve no idea why they seem to think otherwise)

Although it does sound like you would have been worse off without it.

I’m still pro choice though.

rusty90
    Free Member

Just checked the little leaflet from our local air ambulance and their top 3 reason for call out are :
    Road Traffic Collisions
    Heart attacks and strokes
    Accidents involving farm machinery, power tools and ladders

Today I’ve been out for a short ride with the dogs not wearing a helmet (I did have some stout wellies on), backed a trailer into the yard without a banksman, then cut up some logs without wearing ballistic trousers.

I’m probably pushing my luck but I might just go and put up some Xmas decorations without wearing a hard hat, hi-viz jacket and an arrest harness.

billysugger
    Free Member

Most young folk I know wouldn’t have noticed if the guy was wearing another persons head on his head.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going for a poo.
    Not quite decided yet though.

nealglover
    Free Member

ballistic trousers.

I’ve no idea what they are.

But know I have to have some ! 🙂

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what they are.

Not as exciting as they sound I’m afraid. Chainsaw protection – trousers padded with fibres that jam the chain and stop the saw if it cuts them.

iainc

Neal – they said their opinion, so yes, subjective. I usually wear a helmet as do my kids. Just glad I had it on. At a minimum it limited the cuts from the gravelly landing 🙂

66deg
    Free Member

Was he a Bog Trotter?

chip
    Free Member

Had a big off last time I was at swinley and really belted my head off the hardpack.
    Did not knock my self out but had a constant headache for four days after.

My helmet was badly scuffed, cut and large swelling above left eye and the left lens of my safety glasses was scratched to bits.
    I always wear a helmet but don’t normally wear my glasses at swinley, normally just for local natural trails where overgrown bushes or branches can catch you face which Is not a problem at swinley.

I am sure I would have lived without protection but would have hurt a darn sight more and would have not been pretty.

That said if an adult decides not to wear one for what ever reason that’s their look out.
    But I do find people who ride with the children not wearing helmets a little irresponsible despite the things my friends and I got up to on our BMXs 30 odd years and never suffered more than cuts or bruises .

nealglover
    Free Member

Not as exciting as they sound I’m afraid.

One of those things that was better the way my childish mind had imagined it then really :mrgreen:

What I imagined was both truly awesome, and yet quite dapper all at the same time.

drofluf
    Free Member

Well I wouldn’t ride over a bridge without a helmet. What if the troll got me?

Surprised nobody’s mentioned the bandana, I mean it’s so 80’s. The guy should be embarrassed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘No helmet cycling club shame.’ is closed to new replies.