Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • no fuss evemts 6hr downhill endurance race
  • Paul-j

Iam pretty sure i will enter this for next years race.

so wondered if any one on here has done it, as at the minute i have a orange five which is used for every thing from cwm carn dh to tour de ben neivs.

but i wondered if i could get away with doing this on the five with a coil rear shock and some lyriks or fox 36 up front. or would it be worth building up a dh hill bikesecond hand ie 224 all i would need is frame and forks.

or should i just plough on with the five, i know that chap from orange did it on his five.

any thoughts much apricated.

xiphon
    Free Member

Did the 2012 race – absolutely loved it 🙂

Loads of people on Fives – I think the winner was riding one (air shocks, small discs)

EDIT: I have my entry paid for 2013 already 🙂

wwaswas

Chips did it and wrote an article in the lag about it.

Paul-j

yeah did read that, but sadly i wont get the chance to borrow a new 322.
    just wondered if its worth building a old 224 frame on some older triple clamp forks or if it wont make much difference.

xiphon
    Free Member

Depends on what type of rider you are, and if you’ve ridden anything like the scale of Fort Bill. Personally, I was glad to have the big bike – but next year, I’m considering a HT or the Patriot (old year 2000 frame!)

‘Jessie’ did it on a rigid – but he’s a FW local (I think?).

Paul-j

sadly not to the scale of fort william.

done cwmcarn uplifts and most other well none tracks in wales.
    snowdon down in one go no stopping but doubt that compares anywhere near fort william.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve ridden all over the UK (DH uplift days), and nothing prepared me for Fort Bill. It’s brutal 🙂 I lasted the whole 6hrs with zero mechanicals (last man down the hill, in the dark…). Tortoise and the Hare 😀

Paul-j

from what ive seen and heard thats the impression iam getting. had you ever ridden it before?
    hence why iam thinking cheap second hand build or better forks and shock on the five.

legend
    Free Member

New fork and shock could easily cost as much as a 2nd hand dh bike. So if you like the idea of owning one you could get a really solid piece of lot like a Giant Glory for around £800!

Paul-j

thats my thinking seen a complete 224 for 900, or cane creek db coil and van rc2 all for 600 all seconed hand of course

Northwind

I did it the last 2 years… First year on my Hemlock, this year I’d aquired a downhill bike so used that. And I was the first person to sign up for next year :mrgreen: Wouldn’t miss it for the world, they’ve been among the best days I’ve had with bikes. It’s an event as much as a race, for me.

I can talk about it for ages so I’ll try and keep it shortish…

1, the track is challenging but not as technically hard as you might expect. No world cup woods. Do try and preride! If nothing else it’ll help you understand how the day will go.

2, it is physically and I suppose mentally tough though. Racing an easy inners track for 6 hours would be! Last year fairly few people made the full 6 hours, partly due to the weather I think. Expect to be beaten up. Some of the really talented downhill guys struggle with the duration, just trying to focus for that length of time. (I do alright for that, I just knock out consistent slow laps all day)

3, any decent trailbike is perfectly capable of it, though you’ll want sturdy and reliable kit, in good condition. But, the bigger the bike, the less of a kicking you’ll take. On the Hemlock, I did 9 runs and ended up with blisters the size of 50p pieces on each hand, on the Herb I did 14 and was in far better shape- could happily have kept going.

At the end of the day… I’m a competent enough rider but nothing amazing, and I’m in decent shape but no cycling machine. So if I can do it, you probably can! Though, bear in mind that 2/3ds of the field last year were beaten by Jesse Wigman on a rigid bike.

xiphon
    Free Member

First time for me. Popped my Fort Bill cherry properly 😉

If you include the 4 runs I had before lunch, my total was 14 runs.

@ Northwind – you beat me to the number 1 spot! I was second to join up…

Paul-j

any pictures of the event or your bike set up might help me sway my mind.

cheers so far

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Where do I sign up for this year ? No mention of it on their site for 2013 unless I’m looking in the wrong place

Northwind

@Empire
    http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/online_entry/Fort-William-Fat-Tyre-Weekend/2949/

For Paul j- This year’s bike, just before the race:

IMG_0764 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

2011, halfway down

285078_176195112448112_175936815807275_425580_4491701_n(1) by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr
    (that’s a Hemlock with Lyriks, dh tyres on 721s, but still on the aircan and 120mm rocker)

euain

Where do I sign up for this year ? No mention of it on their site for 2013 unless I’m looking in the wrong place

It’s part of the Fat Tyre Weekend at the end of June. See: NoFuss Website

Edit – beaten to it.. 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

The gravity sled…

Taken a few days before the event.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I did it last year on my hardtail. It was horrible – couldn’t climb stairs for days after.

I’d do it again, but I’d fancy a DH bike – I’ve proved to myself that I can do it, so no point mucking about on a trail bike again..

Low quality pic of me suffering;

Northwind

Hah. I’m still on the fence about hardtailing it next year. TBH if there were more things like it, I wouldn’t hesitate but you only get to do it once a year.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Sounds great but I’d like a chance to do some runs on the course first. What’s the time between runs roughly? (i.e. time to ride round to the gondola station, wait, hitch up and get off at the top?)

Northwind

Must admit I’ve no idea! Been a queue for the first lift each time but after that it’s just straight on. But how long it takes to get to the top, maybe 10 minutes? Not sure.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I have a Choice of a Mega or my Dh Empire for this, what do you guys think would be best ?

Northwind

Downhill bike tbh… Unless you just fancy doing it on a less suitable bike, there’s no other reason.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

Was wondering if the Dh would become more effort as the day drew on

Northwind

I’d say not… Well, it does add up but the dh bike will help keep you intact and fresh, the extra weight shouldn’t be an issue really and unless you’re expecting to be doing fast laps, it’s not the pedalliest course.

There’s an orrible climb at the start as you might be aware- up to the visitscotland wallride. But since presumably you’ll be on dh tyres regardless of what bike you use, that’s grim on a trailbike or a dh bike. If you can reduce the suspension action- propedal, or physically blocking it up- that helps, as does a pedallable seatpost height- I ended up getting a 450mm seatpost for the Herb! I guess that’ll be an issue with the Empire though.

Either that, or be super mega fit and just power up it standing up as if you’ve got an engine :mrgreen:

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve already started training – running (while pushing the DH bike) around the local forest tracks (including a long 2 mile uphill) – wearing the same gear (full face included) as I would at the race.

People look at me a bit strange.

Northwind

They should do, you’re a bit strange

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

note to self: If you see some nutter with a big pink bike,running up Longridge Fell whilst trying not to drown inside his full-facer, shout “hello xiphon” 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘no fuss evemts 6hr downhill endurance race’ is closed to new replies.