• This topic has 17 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jsm.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • no fault car dent when parked, guys admits fault, call insurers or not?
  • jsm

The guy who reversed into the parked car has admitted responsibility and left a note. Do I need to claim on my insurance or just deal direct, he’s asked for a quote from a main garage.

They share info these days, so you are knackered at next renewal, either way, no?

Drac

You deal with your insurance they deal with his.

Cougar

Is he doing it through his insurance or offering to pay privately?

project
    Free Member

are his details correct, or just a made up number on a bit of paper, fellow motorists have been known to leave a note for the driver theyve hit, as a scam to stop other people who see the rtc, noting the car reg and reporting it as a drive off.

If you contact your insurers your premiums will go up, youve made a claim.

thepurist

MrsP is just going through this – she claims, her renewal is affected until they reclaim from his insurer then back to normal (ish, because the stats now show you may park in places where your car is vulnerable rather than wrapping it in cotton wool every time you leave it in a marked space with a massive turning area next to it that only someone who was more interested in talking to his passenger than looking the mirror would overshoot)

jsm

It was a company van doing work on my street. They will claim through their insurers.

Cougar

Tell yours, then. (They will anyway, no doubt.)

Flaperon

Is there any difference now on renewal between an “at fault” claim and a “not at fault” claim?

The moment you report it to your insurance company you can expect a never-ending stream of cold calls for whiplash compensation. I suspect many people working in the call centre pass on details for cash.

theocb
    Free Member

Yes notify your insurance company if he’s telling his, your no claims discount won’t be affected but you might notice a tiny increase in next renewal for a no fault claim.
    Hopefully you will be given the go ahead to get an instant repair done at an approved garage

sparkerfix

If it’s a big company they may use a fleet accident management company in which case it won’t need to go through insurance . I had an online grocery Delivery driver hit me. All sorted outside of insurance. All above board. No other calls after.

taxi25
    Free Member

Get a quote and ask if he’ll give you cash or a cheque. If he’s ok with that accept and get your car fixed when convenient. I’d much prefer this than involving insurance companies. IMHO your premium goes up fault or no fault.

munrobiker
    Free Member

His insurers will tell yours then yours will want to know why you haven’t told them. I think you’re obliged to tell them in 24 hours on most policies.

As for premiums going up, I was hit on Friday and the driver accepted all responsibility. Phoned to renew my wife’s insurance today and add this claim to it as I’m a named driver and they said as I was totally not at fault it had no effect on the price we’d been quoted previously.

taxi25
    Free Member

His insurers will tell yours then yours will want to know why you haven’t told them. I think you’re obliged to tell them in 24 hours on most policies.

My insurers reduce my excess by 50% if I report an accident within 24hrs, I’m not obliged to do so. I’ve heard of people reporting an accident months later. As long as your insurance was valid at the time they will still act on it.
    The 24hr limit is to report an accident to the police if you didn’t exchange details with the other party at the scene.

garage-dweller

I got rear ended last year (stopped at a red traffic light for at least a minute when it happened).

It’s made no real difference to my premium after a quick shop about as it was no fault, no loss. I did notify straight away and I got the option of going the claim route or claims management company route. The claim route temporarily impacts your no claims until it’s all settled.

The lady who hit me paid in person as the damage was less bad on inspection than first feared.

I did have to change insurer at renewal to get a decent deal but the premium was about the same as the year before in the end (vs. nearly doubled from the incumbent).

richardkennerley

I informed my insurance company when a neighbour reversed into my car and drove off a few years ago. He later came round and apologized and paid for the minor repairs needed with no fuss. So I told my insurers don’t worry about it, it’s all sorted. My premium went up £100 the following year just because “something happened.”

Drac

My premium went up £100 the following year just because “something happened.”

That something was your introduction offer ran out, they all do that.

wideboy
    Free Member

You’ve legally agreed to inform your insurer of any accidents, regardless of whether or not a claim is made, check your fine print.

You also need to state an accident has occurred when renewing. Even if non fault.

I just had similar, informed my insurer “for information only”, tried to claim directly from 3rd party insurer. Given run around for a week, contacted claims management comp, 3rd party insurer admitted liability within 24hrs…

jsm

called insurer. no increase they (DL) claim as it was a no faulter. we’ll see at renewal time 🙁

the other people’s insurer are doing at the running about for us.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘no fault car dent when parked, guys admits fault, call insurers or not?’ is closed to new replies.