Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • No F1 Thread?
  • boblo
    Free Member

Well all done and dusted for another year. Marky Mark has taken his unfeasibly square jaw off to Slow Sports cars, Finger Boy has grown some fungus and Perry/Jordan are about to kick each other in their respective plums/vulvas…

Has anybody else noticed the massive amount of needle between the wigged one and the one who knows nothing about their subject? Are they coming back next year to ruin it all over again and will they manage to avoid strangling each other?

tenfoot

I’m looking forward to seeing webber at Le Mans next year, where there’s more overtaking in 1 hour than in the whole season of f1

Creg

Glad to see the end of a painfully dull season. I found I would watch the opening couple of laps and then switch to the radio and get on with something else.

Here’s hoping the new regs for next year make it a little bit more exciting, although I fear its going to be another dull year of constant RB victories with no significant challenges from other teams.

Sochi track looks interesting though, if it gets finalised on the calendar that is.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mashiehood
    Free Member

tenfoot – have you watched any F1 this year? There has been a bucketful of overtaking (with KERS and DRS assistance)

bland

Just read an old one, will all be the same

Kryton57

Vettel wins

Alonso does well and gets third.

Mark gets shafted

Hamilton doesn’t do as well as qualifying

Perez or Maldanado nearly causes an accident.

Why would I need to watch that every week?

brakes
    Free Member

I went from watching every race avidly a few seasons ago to not even bothering this season. what with the TV rights being messed around with til I didn’t know whether I was going to get to see it or not, to the boring “racing” and the Vettel borination.
    or maybe I just don’t have the time to watch it anymore…

PrinceJohn

Will be interesting to see how long the new rules keep the pack shaken up & see which drivers get to grips with the new cars the quickest.

Vettel & Red Bull have been a class apart this season, especially since they swapped the tyres back

legend
    Free Member

PrinceJohn – Member
    Will be interesting to see how long the new rules keep the pack shaken up & see which drivers get to grips with the new cars the quickest.

I’m gonna guess we’ll be back to normal by the end of quali session 1

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Unfortunately that’s what it’s boiled down to….fiddling with the rules to try to build in some artificial competition into the sport when all they need to do is massively reduce the amount of aerodynamic downforce and massively increase the amount of mechanical grip, and maybe ditch carbon brakes to increase braking distances, then we’ll have a proper Motorsport on our hands again.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Webber will be back in F1 for the 2015 season 😉

Speshpaul

” when all they need to do is massively reduce the amount of aerodynamic downforce and massively increase the amount of mechanical grip”
    and more than one tyre provider – free issue of tyres.
    some kind of aero mod to limit the dirty air and reintroduce “tow”

As for this season i stopped actively watxhing about 3 rounds ago and passively watching about 6 or 7.
    its just dull.
    MotoGP has been the winner this year……….outstanding

JCL
    Free Member

You know when they have to introduce things like DRS, tyres that become molten in 10 laps and circuits with zero consequence run-off that F1 has had it.

It’s 90% sponsorship circus and 10% sport.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

PSB were good though.
    Actually I probably mean unexpected rather than good. Still pretty enjoyable.

PrinceJohn

I’m gonna guess we’ll be back to normal by the end of quali session 1

Don’t ruin my dreams…

thepurist

” when all they need to do is massively reduce the amount of aerodynamic downforce and massively increase the amount of mechanical grip”

This old chestnut again. Which conditions produce the most exciting racing where driver skill becomes the key factor? That’ll be a damp to drying track, where there’s reduced mechanical grip with the same level of aero…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

between the wigged one and the one who knows nothing about their subject?

I watch the Sky coverage and avoid both of them. The team on Sky is much better, no matter how much you despise the dirty digger.

retro83
    Free Member

thepurist – Member
    This old chestnut again. Which conditions produce the most exciting racing where driver skill becomes the key factor? That’ll be a damp to drying track, where there’s reduced mechanical grip with the same level of aero…

That’s not strictly true – in those conditions it’s still a combination of mech and aero being significantly lower.

Lower cornering speed due to reduced mech grip = much lower aero performance. Also a wet or intermediate setup might have a raised ride height to avoid body aquaplaning (the wet tyre alone is 1cm larger than the slick) and softer suspension (which affects the performance of the floor, diffuser etc).

Aero is also what causes the problems of running in ‘dirty air’ which causes tyre degradation and loss of performance due to reduced downforce for the following car.

Speeder

mashiehood – Member
    tenfoot – have you watched any F1 this year? There has been a bucketful of overtaking (with KERS and DRS assistance)

Push button overtakes are part of what makes current F1 a poor shadow of it’s former self. It doesn’t matter how much “talent” is required to drive the cars at that speed, the fact that all you have to do to overtake is get in the window and wait for the straight (massive oversimplification obviously) and flick a switch to get past renders it entertainment rather than sport.

The trouble with F1 is it can’t work out whether it’s the pinnacle of technology, featuring the fastest race cars on the planet or the ultimate racing series and the balance has got all skewed in favour of the former where if they want people to keep watching they ought to be concentrating on the latter.

mashiehood
    Free Member

the trouble with F1 is that despite wanting to hate it and not watch it, i still watch it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

The trouble is , when a car dominates, is that we dont know who the bets driver is

What w eknow is that whoever pilots the rd bull from the top 4 drivers wins the race

Vettel is a great driver [ as is alonso and Hamilton] but the greatest of all time? I am not even sure he is the greatest of his generation but his car certainly is.
    I dont see how it can be considered a sport tbh these days and its also dull as he always wins and there is next to no racing – except where they have manufactured it with buttons and crap tyres

back2basics
    Free Member

adios Webber, never as good as you thought you were , although you did get you fair share of bad luck.

speaking of overvalued going nowhere “nice” drivers – anyone see Rubens getting interviewed on the BBC? Rubens…. that fantastic awesome driver who was going to win titles after leaving Ferrari, oh no, he got his ass handed to him by his teammates and then complains when Williams dumps him and no one wants him, even in the USA open wheelers.
    Lest we not forget his old excuse of signing that Ferrari contract year upon year upon year that made him a no.2 driver of “i hope i could change Ferrari from the inside” before complaining about the contracts he signed after he left.
    yeah, I dont like him.

matt_outandabout

Meh, much more interesting sports out there. I used to be an F1 one fan, now I hardly bother, despite needing to ‘hunt down’ where WRC is to be shown each week/season/venue..

or
    Oh look, a queue and look who is ahead…

😉

thepurist

Yeah WRC – even Loeb got bored of Loeb winning all the time!

zokes
    Free Member

Not a huge amount of overtaking in WRC

nickc

Unfortunately that’s what it’s boiled down to….fiddling with the rules to try to build in some artificial competition

Erm…. This happens pretty much in every single sport all the time, rules get exploited, rules are changed by organisers to level the playing field again. What makes F1 dull is single driver/car domination. It was dull when mcClaren did it in the 80/90’s with senna and Berger it was dull with Schumacher and Ferrari in the naughties and its been dull recently with RB and Vettel

legend
    Free Member

Just thank God (Bernie) that F1 doesn’t have “competition yellows” 🙄

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘No F1 Thread?’ is closed to new replies.