Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • No experience of carbon bars , are these safe ?
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Crash yesterday , can get my fingernail in over the letter R. Fairly sure it’s fine ….? 😕 But thought I’d ask the cru

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Wick in some Zap Pink thin superglue and just carry on

uwe-r
    Free Member

Tis but a scratch

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ok thanks, never heard of zap pink thin glue, or wicking it in? A little lost …
    😐

Onzadog
    Free Member

Your bars, your teeth. Personally, I’d not be taking that chance on them.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’d er on the side of ‘no’ for that. Sounds like a deep scratch – in a high stress area and there could be crush damage you can’t see. It might be fine, but it’s probably not worth the consequences!

onandon
    Free Member

In situations like this I’d usually put my full weight on them and bounce up and down to see what happens. If you don’t hear any carbon splintering then continue using them.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t Americans tap with a dime to check carbon fibre? Not sure where you’d get a dime in this country though.

gavstorie
    Free Member

they are fine… looks like its only a scratch in the gel coat.

hora
    Free Member

Get your nail in? Clarify

willej

Get your nail in?

Sounds like a euphemism for a girth-challenged chap!

I’d say replace them if you’re in any doubt. New bars are a very cheap insurance policy for your wellbeing.

hora
    Free Member

Grazed no problem anything deeper than a graze retire them.

If it did snap could you comeback on here and say ‘you guys said it’d be ok looking at a 2inch pic on a phone’

toppers3933
    Free Member

Past experience has taught me to change bars with damage like that. Especially carbon which has a habit of just snapping with very little no warning.

andyl
    Free Member

I’d more worried about a scratch in aluminium.

Your choice though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hora can you please define ‘graze’ . 😀

I am going to go with it’s a scratch. I know its very difficult to say but was just seeking some guidance. Off on ride now. If i don’t make it back tell my parents how brave I was.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

cost of new bars vs cost of new teeth

your decision, but if it was me i would junk them or stick them on a commuter / pub bike

chakaping
    Free Member

How thick is bar?

What section is that?

Probably fine but your picture is a bit inadequate to judge.

Northwind

Not convinced that’s just clearcoat/laquer meself. Hard to tell. But the struts aren’t exactly beefy in the first place.

poah
    Free Member

I retired my kinesis strut bar after a crash. couldn’t see any mark but its a pretty light and flexable bar. Going with a spank oozy vibrocore once I’m healed

hora
    Free Member

If i don’t make it back tell my parents how brave I was.

I retired my Easton carbon Haven’s after a few crashes- they only have cosmetic grazes, scuffs from general storage etc but I thought after a few biggish offs that put scars on its owners I thought for circa £90 it wouldn’t hurt to put them in the shed and replace them with new Easton carbon Havens.

£90 is NOTHING, if only its peace of mind.

Aren’t Carbon Havocs – still to be found cheap in the 711mm length?

ferrals
    Free Member

This probably worng as it is rusty knowledge being dragged out of the dark recesses from some composite swatting i did ages ago to try and get a job (unsuccessfully)… but I think the bar is made from woven sheets of CF held together with some form of resin. I don’t know how many layers would be used, but if you can get you finger nail underneath it suggests that one or more of the layers have separated?

I’d junk it.

Gunz
    Free Member

This sort of uncertainty is why I have always stuck to ally bars. Is crabon that much better that it’s worth the paranoia?

pictonroad

Having seen aluminium bars fail and carbon and aluminium in action on boats I think the other way round. Carbon has a weave strength that transfers loads across strands, a nick in one strand isn’t fatal.

I’m not a professional materials engineer though… 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

£90 is NOTHING, if only its peace of mind.

Agreed, but £90 after every crash is a lot. I know that my question wasn’t ‘are carbon bars worth it’ but if I have to replace them every time they get a scratch I’ll ditch them and go back to aluminum . I think I’m gonna keep using them

No creaking, dimples etc .

Here is another pic on a phone to further muddy the waters 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They’ll be reet. The bit you can your finger under is just the top finish layer of resin. it looks scrapy more than hitty. That said I’m usually wrong about everything, ask my wife.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have no idea if this helps but I just like it and this seems like a good excuse to post it.

[video]https://youtu.be/xreZdUBqpJs[/video]

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘No experience of carbon bars , are these safe ?’ is closed to new replies.