Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • No Carb / Low carb
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

So I am a big chap no doubt about it. I've lived on all the fun food groups for 40 years, Pasta, Bread, Meat, Spuds, Rice etc.

I eat a fair bit of fruit and tubers but not keen on green veg at all.

Bloke I train with is a big advocate of low carbs but that leaves me on pretty much protein only which is no good.

What are decent alternatives to carbs as a side order for the main event.

finbar
    Free Member

You best learn to love veg really (which is still a carb, but just much lower calories by weight than rice/pasta/potatoes).

nickc

Be more selective about which carbs you eat.

poppa
    Free Member

Slight hijack, anyone know if any pro/high level athletes do the low carb thing?

joolsburger
    Free Member

So any good carbs out there I was hoping sweet potato, carrots, parsnips, pumpkin etc would be better…

tails
    Free Member

what you are chatting about is essentially the "i dave" diet/eating plan have a search and I'm sure someone will email it to you.

nickc

Depends what you're trying to achieve. By 'big chap' do you mean you're carrying a bit more weight than you'd like and you need to cut out carbs to loose a little, or are you tall and statuesque and need a good source to fill you up for all the training you do?

poppa
    Free Member

Maybe look at the GI index for a quick indication of how quickly they'll raise blood sugar levels?

Sweet potato carrots and pumpkin are more nutritious than spuds too.

ton

jools, just eat less carb
    if i have carb for breakfast (brown toast) and carb for dinner (wholemeal roll) i do not eat any carb (taters/pasta/rice) with my evening meal.

if i have protein (omlete) brekie i have carbs in the evening meal.

lost 2.5 stone up to present.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Big chap was a euphemism for fat, need to drop at least two stone….Interesting stuff Ton sounds like a bit of a plan.

nickjb
    Free Member

2nd working on green veg. I was never that keen on it but I think that came from what we had to eat as kids. Trying a range of veg cooked in a range of ways I've found loads of stuff I like. Last night dinner was just fish and steamed veg but it was really nice (Probably not healthy enough to make up the massive roast for lunch, though 🙂 )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘No Carb / Low carb’ is closed to new replies.