Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)
  • No argument Merkur razors are the best…
  • chipps

Edwin Jagger here…* Still working through a dozen different blades, but the Feather is winning by a long way (though not as good on the second day)
    Didn’t get on with the Derby.

Fuzzywuzzy – luckily I’m in an office where a bit of stubble is OK. In fact, I know lots of people who can shave for fun, rather than necessity for work. I now enjoy shaving, whereas before it was a chore.

* 43, many bikes, only one singlespeed…

chewkw
    Free Member

For simplicity I love a 3 piece especially my 40s Tech but then my other SuperSpeeds (60s) are great too especially the flaretip. I am still collecting some of the vintage razors and is actively looking for a Big Fellow or Aristocrat if I can afford one. I also have different vintage Gillette adjustable namely the fatboy adjustable & slim adjustable. I prefer fatboy and was lucky to find one from car boot sales for £3, although I already have a replated one …

p/s: Chipps, page 3 of on this thread keep hitting my Malwarebytes and is trying to call out.

shooterman

My third shave tonight with a Merkur 1904. The first two shaves were awful and I was regretting going DE but tonight my technique improved and I got a great shave.

I can manage the north – south pass and across but just can’t seem to get the angle right for a south to north pass.

donsimon
    Free Member

Three shave in one night, that’s decication… 😆

Woody
    Free Member

shooterman

I wouldn’t worry about sticking rigidly to the ‘3 pass technique’ as everyone is different. I tend to go with variations of long and short depending on the area with ‘blade buffing’ around the chin. The only way to find out what suits you is by trial and error and go with what feels right on the different areas of your face.
    A few techniques from Mantic below.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU&feature=relmfu[/video]

Hohum
    Free Member

shooterman – Member
    My third shave tonight with a Merkur 1904. The first two shaves were awful and I was regretting going DE but tonight my technique improved and I got a great shave.

I can manage the north – south pass and across but just can’t seem to get the angle right for a south to north pass.

Most of my shaves are north to south, i.e. with the grain and slightly across the grain.

Once or twice I have gone against the grain but it caused a lot of irritation a couple of days after when the stubble grew back in, so I don’t bother with it any more.

chewkw
    Free Member

I normally go for three or four passes from north to south, across, against the grain and touch up, so far so good but all depends on individuals.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Ok, my Edwin Jagger DE with Derby blade sample arrived today also Edwin Jagger brush and Arko soap.

Lathered up all nice started shaving with the grain, seemed ok but not very close around chin and under neck. So i lathered up again and did the same again but did a pass or 2 against the grain with much better results, is this a proper technique or should it be with grain only.

Or possibly the blade was a blunt job?

Had a nick or two but generally a good close shave.

Cougar

Maybe try ‘across’ the grain rather than with or against?

BillMC

How much more likiely are you to cut your face with DE razors than with the usual razors?

thegreatape
    Free Member

The difference between being a bit cack handed and very cack handed.

sharkbait
    Free Member

BB. I do with the grain to start with, followed by across, then maybe against depending how BBS I want. You’ll find what works best for you in time.
    I started with Derby blades but now think prefer Feathers, ymmv.

shooterman

Thanks to all.

I managed all three passes tonight and I definitely have the best shave I have have ever had!

What do you guys use post shave though? My neck is feeling a bit raw.

Stoner
    Free Member

shooterman: Alum block (not styptic pencil) wetted and slide over.

See my post up there somewhere for link ^

Never get rash anymore – and I used to be a martyr to it…. 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Musgo Real Aftershave Balm.

(The balm bit’s important, they do actual aftershave as well which is less forgiving).

But get a load of cold water all over your face before you put anything on.

chewkw
    Free Member

shooterman – Member

What do you guys use post shave though? My neck is feeling a bit raw.

1. Witch hazel from boots (£2.50). – splash and wash off then apply …

2. Nivea sensitive balm (£4.75 – £5.75) – then apply …

3. Aftershave.

Simple.

Everywhen
    Free Member

I use one of these. My missus prefers the result to that of a Mach 3.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=66258

chewkw
    Free Member

Everywhen – Member

I use one of these. My missus prefers the result to that of a Mach 3.
    http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=66258

I see you got the highly desirable Roll Royce of adjustable razor so how much did you pay for it? Wish I can get hold of one …

Just received my travel razor which I won on fleabay recently. Very nice but need a bit of effort to shaving because it is very light. Silver plated though.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Had 2nd DE shave last night, better results, however my neck gets very irritated with a rash. Is that just getting used to it, bad technique, blade issue(derby), sensitive skin or a combo of all 3?

Using Arko soap stick which seems to tingle a touch on my neck area, lathers up really well though and the smell is actually nice in a retro kind of way.

chewkw
    Free Member

bigbloke – Member

Had 2nd DE shave last night, better results, however my neck gets very irritated with a rash. Is that just getting used to it, bad technique, blade issue(derby), sensitive skin or a combo of all 3?

No, usually it does not irritate skin if you get your technique and set up right.

These are the possibilities:

1) Blunt blade. (Derby is a hit or miss blade so adjust your angle when you shave)
    Some blades are better suited for some particular DE razors.

2. Angle of shave.
    Make sure you play with the angle so that you cut rather than scrub.

3. Pressure.
    Do not put pressure while shaving. Very little yes but not more as you will get razor burn.

4. Post shave application – cheap aftershave balm like Nivea Sensitive non-alcohol or whatever you have been using.

stylish
    Free Member

After reading this the other night, i took the plubge and got an Edwin Jagger Razor, it turned up yesterday and this morning it was used, and it was very good, it came with derby blades so i will at some point try some more, but they seemed ok, its given me a good shave, and i didnt end up looking like i had scrubbed my face with a handful of brambles.

The wife was impressed aswell, although she thinks i am having a mid life crisis!

chewkw
    Free Member

stylish – Member
    The wife was impressed aswell, although she thinks i am having a mid life crisis!

Just watch out as she might nick it to shave her legs etc … 😆

LycraLout
    Free Member

I am still collecting some of the vintage razors and is actively looking for a Big Fellow or Aristocrat if I can afford one.

Have you seen this?

chewkw
    Free Member

LycraLout – Member

Have you seen this?

Yes, I already have a similar one which I bought off fleabay for less than £25. Condition is similar or better than that one and there were two that went fro less than £20 two days ago.

As there many variation of Aristocrat I am looking at the non-gold ones and Big Fellow is also high on the list but very expensive.

🙂

skiboy
    Free Member

just tried my israeli blades, crystal super platinum, cut nowhere near as good as the derby extras on my face, so derbys are the one for me 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 121 through 145 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘No argument Merkur razors are the best…’ is closed to new replies.