Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)
  • No argument Merkur razors are the best…
  • poppa
    Free Member

Hey, no need to get touchy! It’s just I read the reviews on the (independent) razor vendors sites, and a posteriori realised they may have been vetted. Plenty of evidence for shonky QC/tolerance for the one I bought:

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/product-reviews/safety-razors/40-parker-razor.html

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=571

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5258

Which contrasts with what I found when researching the EJ razors, which are generally regarded to be amongst the highest quality.

donsimon
    Free Member

Not at all touchy chapster, I just didn’t see any substance in your claims. 😉

skiboy
    Free Member

fuzzywuzzy,

” Who needs a kettle, just boil a saucepan of water etc, it’s about convenience and labour-saving.”

that is my point precisely, more conveient maybe, but it can’t be labour-saving as you need to work to generate the money with which to purchase your labour-saving device, thus not really saving labour at all ?

and to say that because everything is that way these days makes the argument redundant is proof indeed that the ideal of selling us stuff we don’t really need is well and truely ingrained in modern society 😀

clubber
    Free Member

In reality of course, most people work a 37ish hour week irrespective of whether they want to shave with a niche razor or a normal one 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

My working hours/salary aren’t really related to the number of labour-saving devices I’ve had to buy though :p If I used a cheap razor I couldn’t ask my boss to work and hour less a week and take that out of my salary to.

skiboy
    Free Member

Ah you still don’t get the relationship between working, income and expenditure, let me simplify , if you stop giving all your money away then you would have more in your pocket and could reduce your hrs further

nockmeister
    Free Member

So can you use oil with a safety razor instead of soap/foam??
    I ask as i moved to oil and found the shaving experience better/less messy..would love to try Merkur as i’m sick of stumping up for the price of mach3 blades.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sure, whatever suits you.

peterfile
    Free Member

not many people have mentioned the pleasure factor in DE shaving.

I used to hate shaving, it was a chore. Now I actually quite look forward to it. That’s worth it alone for me.

Get up, music on, shower, pop on the espresso machine, nice relaxing shave, cup of coffee while I get suited up, out the door. Around 30-45 mins. Quite enjoy mornings actually. Except my girlfriend whinging that it’s too early to be listening to MC Hammer 🙂

chewkw
    Free Member

Or to save time you can always shave the night before so you don’t have to shave during the morning rush hour.

Because DE shaving can give you a closer shave you will perhaps only see some shadow of your beard in the late afternoon (3-4pm), depending on the thickness of your beard.

There you go … simple! So now you can enjoy shaving as much as you like and as long as you like.

:mrgreen:

banginon

I’m new this DE shaving lark, having only just spotted it via this good forum.

What do the numbers correlate to? Is it the weight or length or just a manufacturers model number??

I’m totally hacked off with the expense and crap shave I get from the multi blade stuff out there so will likely give DE a go sometime soon.

thejesmonddingo

I’ve just bought an Edwin Jagger 89 from Amazon for £15.80 delivered.
    Ian

chewkw
    Free Member

bangin on – Member

What do the numbers correlate to? Is it the weight or length or just a manufacturers model number??

I’m totally hacked off with the expense and crap shave I get from the multi blade stuff out there so will likely give DE a go sometime soon.

Numbers on blade, assuming you’re talking about blade, are nothing significant for users except for manufacturing process so no need to worry.

If you referring to safety razor then that’s just model number.

Remember to try different brand of blades and not to use pressure (press down) while shaving. Cheapest way to try variety of blades is to buy sample pack.

thejesmonddingo – Member

I’ve just bought an Edwin Jagger 89 from Amazon for £15.80 delivered.
    Ian

That’s a good razor.

🙂

banginon

cheers, might have a try at that Edwin Jagger, can’t go far wrong at that price. Cheers 🙂

epicyclo

A proper razor can settle any argument

chewkw
    Free Member

That’s a reason why they are called cut throat razor … :mrgreen:

bassspine
    Free Member

Inverse willy wave: in an emergency I bought a pack of Lidl 2 blade plarstic razors with aloe lotion squeegee effect 10 for 2quid. They are absolutely brilliant. Really they are.

Pieface

how are these any better than a Wilkinson sword safety razor?

PJ266
    Free Member

I had a wilkinson sword one, I bought a Merkur 34c (I think? its a stubby little one) the merkur is better, if only because it actually weighs something, no need to pull it down your face, gravity does that.

Hohum
    Free Member

PJ266 – Member
    I had a wilkinson sword one, I bought a Merkur 34c (I think? its a stubby little one) the merkur is better, if only because it actually weighs something, no need to pull it down your face, gravity does that.

I have a 34c and it is a great little razor which can deliver a fine shave.

Best blade for me with it was a Feather.

skiboy
    Free Member

Just had my first shave with my jagger etc, that’s it I’m sold , my lips, ears and nose are still present and I didnt even nick myself, everyone including my dad whose staying this week told me I would cut myself but I’ve just had the best shave ever,

The following works for me:
    Edwin jagger ivory db razor
    Edwin jagger pure badger brush
    Arko soap stick
    Bowl of hot water
    15 mins of time
    1 pack of derby blades

chewkw
    Free Member

skiboy – Member

Just had my first shave with my jagger etc, that’s it I’m sold , my lips, ears and nose are still present and I didnt even nick myself, everyone including my dad whose staying this week told me I would cut myself but I’ve just had the best shave ever,

Good set up that. Needs more blades to play with but if Derby gives you good shave then so be it. It’s cheap, cheerful and effective.

Just tell your father that he is missing something and that he is buying into all those bull cr*p celebrities endorsed shite. You should reprogram him …

Now that you have started shaving using DE razor the money saved can be put to good use by reinvesting into bling bike parts instead of giving them to those celebrities shite. 😆

saladdodger
    Free Member

I did not get on with the Derby blades they cut me to bits and the shave was not at all good

For me the feathers and Gilette 7 o’clock sharps are the best with no nicks either

Stoner
    Free Member

I must be the only one to brave the wrath of the guardianistas and go for the Israeli blades from the shaving shack.

http://www.shaving-shack.com/10-israeli-made-double-edged-razor-blades.html

BTW a rub over your face with a wet alum block like this makes absolutely sure that shaving rash etc is a thing of the past
    http://www.shaving-shack.com/alum-block.html

skiboy
    Free Member

I got some of those Israeli blades myself just trying the derby first , I got a alum stick but won’t be using it unless I hack a lump out ,

Would reprogram the old fella but he’s too far gone I’m afraid 71 and Irish without a positive bone in his body, gotta love him though at least he has always been consistent ,

chewkw
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

I must be the only one to brave the wrath of the guardianistas and go for the Israeli blades from the shaving shack.

The Israeli blades are some of my favourite and if I am not mistaken they are from the same factory as Personna Red, so they are good blades. Just that some of them are unbranded that’s all.

They should be similar to this …

Personna red

Derby blades are fine as far as I am concerned but some don’t get on with it.

Stoner
    Free Member

skiboy – I recommend the use of an alum block regardless of whether youve nicked yourself. it closes the pores up nicely and stops rash etc.

skiboy
    Free Member

I used bulldog poncy moisturiser but I will give the stick ago, just checked the other blades I have are Israeli crystal platinum , did feel some burn around my neck directly after using the derbys but the moisturiser sorted that,
    Can’t stop feeling my face very amazed by the cut,

I had a weeks growth to come off, I normally would have used fusion 4 blade and it would clog after each 1-2” stroke , you would then spend 20 seconds rinsing it and then go for another hack, the jagger just cut straight though right down to the skin on each stroke no clogging , why the hell does anyone buy those multi head razors ?

Stoner
    Free Member

that’s exactly why Im a fan now too. I shave once or twice a week and have a very tough, thick beard to cut. With DE it glides through and I hardly have to rinse. With Gillette I have to clean their cartridge blades every inch of beard. Nuts.

Alum stick is a bit clumsy for a wipe over, the block is the size of a matchbox, and feels like a block of marble. When wet it slides over the skin with a lovely tingle feeling.

Woody
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought that using an alum block all over the face was the best thing for your skin as it is only really for nicks and cuts. I’ve only used it a couple of times on small nicks and it is very effective but doesn’t it leave a small residue?

I’ve found that a few handfuls of cold water does the trick followed by a decent balm – Original Source soothing balm from Boots is excellent.

chewkw
    Free Member

If you really want a good non-alcohol aftershave balm then you should get Nivea Sensitive balm (£4.75 – £5). The scent is very minimum and does not intervene with your aftershave. You can apply before or after you apply the aftershave or simply cold water and aftershave balm.

skiboy – Member

… , why the hell does anyone buy those multi head razors ?

Because people have been told to do so or being programmed by those celebrities endorsed shite, add on to that you get manufacturers bombarding the people with the idea of “trendy fashionable high-tech” shite. 🙄

saladdodger
    Free Member

I had another cracking shave last night but I did cock up at the end.

I always use moisturiser after shaving and me paying no attention to what I was using ended up with Assos Chamois Creme 😳 instead funny thing is my skin still feels great 12 hrs later feels

Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought that using an alum block all over the face was the best thing for your skin as it is only really for nicks and cuts

a styptic pencil is more aggressive than the block because this block is a different compound:

…One thing that isn’t mentioned in the product description is that the block is composed of Potassium Alum, not Ammonia Alum, ie it’s far less agressive. I find that a cold water wash/rince, wet the block, gently rub block over entire shaved area, allow to dry, dab (not rub) with cold rinsed flannel, pays dividends. Always use before after shave of any kind. So much more than the salts on a stick of the Styptic. Looks like it may well last forever too. Well worth it.

(a review on the shaving shack site)

Woody
    Free Member

Ah! I was thinking that the alum block was just a bigger version of a styptic pencil, which it clearly isn’t 😳

I don’t suffer from razor burn or nicks so probably can do without but it obviously works if you need it. Does your face not feel ‘tight’ after using it?

can-uk
    Free Member

Method Shaving..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXNNIfe3ycM[/video]

I would end up in the hospital if i tried that with a DE razor 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

no, not really. But Mrs S gets a bit of a shock if she sneaks up for a peck on my cheek right after Ive alum’d it though 😉

EDIT: Ha! And there’s a coincidence: Mr Stoner Sr has just dropped in for a coffee and dropped of his spare Badger brush for me as he doesnt need it. Result!

grum
    Free Member

You all need to man up and grow beards – shaving is a massive waste of time (and money judging by how much you lot seem to spend on your fancy razors) 😆

martinxyz
    Free Member

I just get the neighbours cat to lick ma chops.No need for fancy blades here!

Woody
    Free Member

can-uk

That guy is clearly deranged. He must have made 100+ passes in every direction and I doubt whether he had a blade in there at all.

Notice, unlike most other shaving vids you didn’t see his beard growth before he started shaving!

peterfile
    Free Member

You all need to man up and grow beards

Some of us want to remain appealing to the opposite sex though (or the same sex if you’re that way inclined)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘No argument Merkur razors are the best…’ is closed to new replies.