Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nitrile gloves
  • leffeboy

Any point in paying twice as much for the Park ones rather than the generic ones that you can get on Amazon (other than of course the fact that you can just stick them on the end of the most recent CRC/Wiggle/Rose/etc order and get on with something else).

CountZero

I wouldn’t have thought so, other than the possibility that the Park gloves are thicker than the generic ones. I scrounge them from work for when I’m doing grubby, greasy stuff on the bike, but they fall apart very quickly, so if the Park ones are thicker, then worth the extra, I would have thought.

Kuco

I use Ansell Touch n’ Tuff nitrile gloves that seem okay.

leffeboy

@CountZero do you work somewhere medical then as that seems the normal use?

leffeboy

Ansell Touch n’ Tuff

Nice recommendation tx. Looks like I can get those so looks like a great choice

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m not keen on condom gloves. Too sweaty and they don’t last more than 5 minutes. I’ve got some black mechanics gloves which are about £10 for 10-12 pairs on eBay. You can take them off and put them on more easily and the only thing I can’t do is pick small washers off the floor with them on!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Barrier cream and just wash your hands afterwards?

leffeboy

used to do the barrier cream thing but I’ve been using the gloves for a few years now and prefer that. Before the cream my hands were permanently black 🙁

@PP – tx. That’s why I was wondering if some were better quality that others. I can’t imagine too many people buying the Park ones to get a recommendation though

nickjb
    Free Member

I agree with PP. I’ve used those thin ones that come in a box like tissues and I always end up with tears and one or two fingers poking out. I now use thin rubberised gardening gloves from the pound shop. They are way to thin for actual gardening but ideal for mechanicing. They also have a fabric back so are bit less sweaty.

tazzymtb

If you are wearing gloves for protection against greases oils and general cack then just use latex free gloves mich cheaper and do the job. Nitrile provides chemical resistance against certain chemicals but other will break througn in no time at all hence why gloves have a data sheet to show the compatability.

CountZero

leffeboy – Member

@CountZero
    do you work somewhere medical then as that seems the normal use?

No, print/graphics. Printers use them for cleaning the Heidelbergs, and I use them when I’m cleaning out the film and plate processors, one of which uses caustic chemistry. My job is mostly handling lots of incoming post, but I do film planning and platemaking, and have to look after the machines, so I have a plentiful supply… 😉

leffeboy

I now use thin rubberised gardening gloves from the pound shop.

Nice idea. Might combine that with a box of cheap disposable gloves for the messier but less intensive stuff like chain cleaning.

tx all

andyl
    Free Member

you get different thickness and colour nitrile gloved depending on application. Also some green ones that have different chemicals for people who are sensitive (or have got sensitivity from wearing normal ones).

Most people would be fine just using a set of marigold type gloves. Nice and thick and re-usable so more environmentally (and wallet) friendly.

I’d suggest looking for a first aid/medical/vet supply place for a box of nitrile gloves if you want disposables.

The latex/PU coated stretchy fabric gloves are fantastic for building/car/garden work.

Latex gloves are generally less available now as lots of places ban them due to people with serious allergies.

househusband

Bought some cheap ones and they were horrible… paid only a couple of quid more for some St Johns Ambulance gloves; they’re great – they don’t tear or rip and you can take them on and off.

pjt201
    Free Member

got to say these type are the best http://www.arco.co.uk/products/1235300/299119/Arco+Gripz+Lycra%26reg%3B+Black+Glove

they come in different thicknesses – the thinest ones are good for mechanicing. find a friend who works on site and they will have loads of pairs.

As a mechanic, I’ve used various brands of nitrile and latex gloves.
    Some would last only a few minutes, some would last a couple of hours.
    However, I can’t remember which were the good ones to look out for, so this post isn’t much help at all.
    Sorry.

leffeboy

so this post isn’t much help at all.
    Sorry.

But it provided much amusement so still worth it 🙂

backinireland
    Free Member

Shocked at prices some places charge for these, as a dentist we buy them for prob about 3 quid a box of 100.

I still quite like goodbarrier cream for use when working on cars and bikes tbh, maybe because I wear gloves so much at work.

Depends on your dentist/vet/doctor etc but if you were a patient of mine I’d be quite happy to get you a box or two at cost (as long as you were one of those pleasant patients who turns up on time, pays their bills and doesn’t walk into the surgery with the words “I hate dentists!”)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nitrile gloves’ is closed to new replies.