Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nissan Navara stuck in 4wd
  • mangoridebike

Hi

I’ve had my Navara in 4wd mode for most of the last month, now as the snow is disappearing from the roads I’m trying to go back to 2wd mode but it won’t go. The icon flashes on the dash to show it’s trying to change but it never does. Any tips on encouraging it to change?

It’s a 59 plate and it’s an electronic switch to change rather than a mechanical process.

Any hints from owners or those who have driven one gratefully received.

Merry Christmas 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

Tried all the suggestions google throws up ?

jools182
    Free Member

Wasn’t there a thread on this a few weeks ago?

Might be worth searching on here

nicolaisam
    Free Member

There must be a Navara Owners forum.Have you looked on the internet?

duntstick
    Free Member

duntstick
    Free Member
    duntstick
    Free Member

higgo
    Free Member

It’s a 59 plate …

Get it back to the dealer for them to sort out properly and permanently.

tankslapper
    Free Member

As above

Our Mitsubishi L200’s (mechanical shift) get stuck in 4WD some times (58/59 plates) A reverse and shift usually sorts them out

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I used to have to reverse my Land-Rover to get 4 wheel drive to disengage. Have you tried that? 5 – 20 yards used to do the trick.

Just another thing – driving round in 4wd for the last month won’t have done it any good at all.

I have a Ford Ranger – these pick-ups are RWD and should only be put in temporary 4wd, erm, temporarily and only when really needed. Driving above 60mph and turning in tight circles will all screw it up due to the rear diff locking.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Just another thing – driving round in 4wd for the last month won’t have done it any good at all.

Exactly that. 4WD when in snow or mud but back to 2WD when you get on the road. The Navara is NOT permanent 4WD and does not have fancy diffs to take care of it. You can permanently damage your drivetrain by leaving it in 4WD in ordinary conditions, and it will not be covered by warranty because the instructions specifically say that you must not.

The flashing light shows it’s gone into 2WD mode but the axles are still wound up. Try reversing it, or even better take it onto a slippery surface and spin the wheels a bit in 2WD mode. If you are lucky you will not have permanently screwed it.

And BTW we have had a Navara for the past 4 years

waynekerr
    Free Member

Sure it’s still in 4WD & not just the indicator on the dash that’s showing your in 4WD, the switch in the transfer box is renowned for being dodgy. I have a Nav & it sometimes tells me I’m in 4WD low box, when I am in 2WD. You will feel if it are in 4WD when going round corners, try full lock with the dash switch in both positions, you will know then if it’s stuck or just the transfer box switch telling the dash indicator a lie.

flatfish
    Free Member

Ours (a 56 plate) went back to the dealers last year for a new switch/knob as it was telling lies, apparently a known fault, however a month of 4 wheel drive won’t have done it any good.

mangoridebike

Cheers all for the suggestions, now sorted. Most of the driving in the last month was on snow and ice the 4wd was necessary.

waynekerr
    Free Member

So what was the problem & how did you fix it?

thehustler
    Free Member

common faulty sensor problem on the navara ftw

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nissan Navara stuck in 4wd’ is closed to new replies.