Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Nipple wrench
  • baronspudulike
    Free Member

I decided to try my hand at wheel building after years of paying others to do it for me. I bought a cheap spoke wrench with G13, G14 and G15 size wrench adapters for the nipple sizes. I needed the G15 nipple adapter, I have built up one wheel but the shoddy nipple wrench has given up on me, buy cheap buy twice I know. Anyway I now want to buy a good one but they come in mm sizes not gauge sizes and I don't know what gauge 15 is in metric, does anybody out there know????

rootes1

only choice is really a Spokey…

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/buddy/spokey-spoke-key-red-euro-nipples-ec012165

red is for 3.25mm nipples af

they do a yellow version for jap nipples at 3.4mm af

bound to be the red one

comfy to use as wll

cynic-al
    Free Member

Park ones are nice.

bassspine
    Free Member

spokey +1 for comfort but they wear out after a few wheels.
    park triangular lasts forever and grips well, but gets a little uncomfortable on the fingertips

baronspudulike
    Free Member

I'm after an all metal one, park do look good but what metric size do I need if gauge 15 is the one I was using with my current spoke wrench?

bassspine
    Free Member

the triangular park one SW7 has three sizes that covers all the usual nipples

righty
    Free Member

pedro 4 sided is the best i've used and seems to be made of very hard alloy so shoudl ast well

oliverd1981
    Free Member

my green pedros one is a lovely bit of kit

rootes1

they do a pro spokey which has wider steel inserts..

you would have to be going some to wear then out as a hobby builder – their flat design also allows easy id of how much turn you are applying..

anyhow for £4 how can yo go wrong

trail_rat
    Free Member

spokey +1 for comfort but they wear out after a few wheels.

your doing it wrong …..

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 For spokey – the pro vesion is not worth the extra £2 or so though 🙂

rootes1

+ easy to find when you drop it or put it down somewhere

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I've always used my yellow one – does that means it's really too big ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

depends on your wheels …

DT spokes red

non good spokes yellow …. the yellow will fit DT and will tension – but when you start getting to wheel final tension it will round your nipples

rootes1

sapin dt etc i find red is correct… have yellow for some overlarge crappy spokes on the rear of the my brompton

trail_rat
    Free Member

most OEM bike spokes are yellow too

Junkyard
    Free Member

park one going strong at 8 wheels and a number of truings. also have triangular park which i use but neve rused for a full wheel build

coatesy
    Free Member

Been using my Spokey pro's(both sizes)building wheels in a bike shop for probably 5yrs or so now, not worn them out yet, and not looking likely to either.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Nipple wrench’ is closed to new replies.