Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Nintendo Switch
  • bob_summers

My lad just announced he wants one, and I’d not heard of them until today. I was thinking of buying a PS4 for myself him in the near future, so I suppose we could change allegiances. Any opinions? I was thinking of picking one up in the UK when we visit next week – being recently released, any chance of them ending up in the sales?

prawny

They’re ace. We’ve got one for the kids for Christmas (shhh) and I had to make sure all the updates were done ready for the big day, it was really surprising how good it was as a handheld and on the big screen.

It’s not a PlayStation though, not yet anyway. The choice of games is nowhere near as vast, and the graphics are good, but not as good as a PS4/Xbox one.

Not much chance of a discount I’d have thought at the mo, they’ve been selling more than they can make for most of the year. We got about £15 off at Black Friday.

I’m seriously tempted to buy myself another one so I can bring it to work to play zelda on.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Some very poor design decisions IMO, like no internet browser (or Bluetooth?). Fast RMX is a fun Wipeout-a-like racer, plus I think Rocket League was released recently.

Mrsgoat got one for Zelda, just like she got a Wii for Zelda, but both just sit round gathering dust after completing new rendition of said game.

prawny

It will really depend on whether third party developers get on board with it. The idea is great, there’s a couple of actual racing games on it already, and rumours of others.

If it can get some more serious games on it, it would be a great console for people like me, long commutes and lunches with nothing to do, but then carry the game on on the big screen when you’ve got time. We can also easily take it on holiday and play table top mode with no internet, even iPad/iPhone games pretty much all need an internet connection and that is not always possible.

Fingers crossed it does, we’ve paid more for the switch than all of our previous consoles combined. If the kids get bored of it I’m 100% going to get Skyrim and bring it to work.

jamj1974

Some great games from the expected Nintendo stable – Zelda, Arms, Splatoon, Mario Galaxy etc… Also some great low and mid-priced games from independent developers too.

Hardware feels solid and high-quality, certainly far nicer than the Nintendo Wii U or PS4. Ergonomically it is also very well designed. Yes, as mentioned there is no Bluetooth or browser but I don’t think either of them are must haves for a games console. There are browsers everywhere else for a better internet experience and Bluetooth only matters for headphones really.

rugbydick

I was going to get one for the family for Christmas.

Just as I was about to hit buy, that TV advert came on with the virtual cow milking.
    For nigh on £300, I could probably get an actual cow… so all the enjoyment of a Switch, with the added benefit of fresh milk for my cornflakes.

AlexSimon

Mario and Zelda are absolutely superb. I only ever tend to by the AAA Nintendo in-house games, but they are still my favourite consoles despite this.

If you were buying a PS4 for things like Doom/Gran Turismo/Fifa/Unchartered/Grand Theft Auto/Call of Duty – then the Switch won’t be a good substitute. You’ll still want a PS4, but personally I’d sacrifice all those for Mario/Zelda/Mario Kart. YMMV

I wouldn’t expect a discount until March as they’ve only just come back into regular stock.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Zelda, Mario kart & Mario odyssey are 3 of the best games of all time…. seriously…. add Skyrim and fifa18 I’m struggling to think of a better package…

And Bluetooth headphone support does kinda work now (firmware v4 onwards, Google it) so i can see it being a proper release… and you really need another device with a web browser?! Ps4 surely has one, who uses it in anger though?

prawny

Further to my above statements, I’ve also got a PS3, and might get an Xbox One S when we replace our TV so we can watch 4k blurays.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Zelda, Mario kart & Mario odyssey are 3 of the best games of all time…. seriously…. add Skyrim and fifa18 I’m struggling to think of a better package…

Lose FIFA (seriously, it’ll be a fiver 2nd hand this time next year) and give us back F-Zero. Sorted.

I’ve also got a PS3, and might get an Xbox One S when we replace our TV so we can watch 4k blurays.

PS4 Pro is only £50 of a difference and plays 4K games. If that’s the way you bat…

And browser? Who cares, does anyone use their console for browsing???

prawny

PS4 Pro is only £50 of a difference and plays 4K games

Doesn’t play 4k blurays though for some stupid reason. Sony really missed a trick there.

I’m keen on the idea of having one of each type of console though if I can sneak it past the wife, I always wanted an NES and Megadrive when I was a kid but had to make the choice, can do what I want now 8)

Cougar

if I can sneak it past the wife

can do what I want now

Chinny reckon?

prawny

*whistles*

AlexSimon

Doesn’t play 4k blurays though for some stupid reason.

What?!!!! But Sony… And the X-Box does… Goes to check…

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have one, I think it’s ace. As above, the core Nintendo games are always top notch. Don’t think you’ll see a lot of discount on the console, but some of the bundle deals were quite good around black friday so would expect same again on boxing day. Deals at the moment are more expensive than Oct/Nov cos of last minute xmas shafting.

squirrelking
    Free Member

What?!!!! But Sony… And the X-Box does… Goes to check…

This. x1000

It’s like the Wii and DVD’s all over again!

wiggles
    Free Member

One for sale on facebook quite cheap

prawny

Stupid innit, especially as Sony invented the bluray.

Whether it will be something solved by a software update in the future I don’t know, but I was looking at the Pro and seeing what the score was and that shocked me. How does it do 4k gaming but not 4k films?

AlexSimon

The fact that the PS3 was Blu-ray was definitely one of the deciding factors in the purchase. Still use it now. It would have made the Pro a no-brainer for me once the price hit £250. Ah well.

dannybgoode

I’ve just ordered a Switch for babybgoode – hoping it means I’ll get to use my PS4 for games I actually want to play!

Some excellent games already – feels a more mature ecosystem at launch than the Wii U did.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I’ve bought one for the kids/me for Christmas is it worth connecting it to the web & updating the software before the big day?

prawny

Maybe, I did mine a couple of weeks ago (the 8th) and there was nothing to be done on the system there was an update for mario kart, but the game was playable while it was downloading anyway.

It worth doing so you can have a play on it, just don’t spill any sherry on it.

AlexSimon

Switch updates have been incredibly quick for me. Like seconds. Whereas a PS3 one can take 40mins. Don’t know how they do it!

leeroybrown
    Free Member

I leave it till Christmas Day then, it will be still “box fresh” for the kids

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

I want a console for my kids..yet to figure out if mario kart 8 on switch will be everything that mario kart 64 was. That was the pinnacle of multiplayer gaming imo 🙂
    Multiplayer while sat in the same room.. All ages…awesome

rob2
    Free Member

I have one. Its expensive for what it is but its brilliant I think.

Mario kart 8 is lush. I also like mantis racing.

There are tonnes of downloadable old video arcade games.

The fact you can just sit in bed and play or connect to the tv works great. I’ve got my kids splatoon 2 for xmas.

julians
    Free Member

I’ve bought julian jnr one for xmas, and I bought myself an xbox one x.

Got the switch with mario kart and lego worlds.

I expect he’ll play it more than I’ll use the xbox.

going off topic – I’m not too impressed with the xbox, the graphics are great (astoundingly good even) , but the majority of the games are so samey, just a rehash of everything thats gone before , very little original new stuff*. I guess thats just me being an old cynic these days – I used to love computer games , but it feels like I’ve played everything before.

The xbox games also appear very buggy, forza 7 has loads of little issues , fallout 4 just flat out crashed on me , titanfall 2 also buggy. I Darent even try PUBG…..

* notable exceptions I’ve found so far are unravel, and inside – anyone got any other recommendations for a good original games?

bob_summers

Hmm. I was hoping for a resounding No, they’re crap. Looks like I’ll be getting ones then. The boy wants Super Mario but there are a few other titles he’ll be into, Ninjago and such.
    I tend to buy consoles just to play the latest GTA, and was only wanting a PS4 for Red Dead. Bit of a silly habit.

RichPenny
    Free Member

How old is the boy? Arms is hilarious, and varied enough for my 6 yr old to love it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Julian, have a look at the remastered version of Re-Core, same team or creator as Metroid. But make sure its remastered, the original was missing a lot of content, unsure if it updates to the full game so best be safe.

It’s free on Games for Xbox, £7.99 a month, you should have a code for your first month free inside (I did with my S). Plenty to choose from, AAA to indie. My missus liked Hue, platformer with a twist (unless you’re colour blind in which case give it a miss). Borderlands is on there too, fairly amusing. Handsome pack is £12 from Argos if you decide you want to play 2 and the pre-sequel.

bob_summers

Getting on for 5, bit young for most stuff but he loves playing in small doses.

Cougar

I want a console for my kids.

I don’t think Amazon do swaps.

anyone got any other recommendations for a good original games?

Life is Strange.

If you like Unravel there’s a ton of quirky games out there. I’m off out now, but I’ll stick up a few ideas tomorrow if I remember.

Cougar

I tend to buy consoles just to play the latest GTA, and was only wanting a PS4 for Red Dead. Bit of a silly habit.

TBH, if I didn’t already have a console I’d be buying one for RDR2.

carlosg
    Free Member

Got one through for the kids through ‘Very’ last week with Mario Odyssey for £296 (10% new customer discount). I still haven’t decided if they’ve been good enough to get it yet so it may be a birthday pressie in Feb for one of them. We already spoilt them rotten with other stuff so they won’t miss out.

RichPenny
    Free Member

How good have you been though Carlos 😉

Bob, mariokart is also ace. No previous gaming experience and difficulty levels go low enough to just jump in.

Russell96

Zelda – the level of detail and thought in this game is astonishing
    Mario Kart – yes they’ve kept the magic
    Mario Odyssey – dammed good
    Skyrim – no more being billy no mates in hotel bars when travelling with work, too busy in my room re-visiting a true classic game

Get a screen protector on it, they have been known to get scratched screens from heavy handiness inserting into the dock.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Im not rich enough to buy my kid a switch….so I made one!!

Can’t wait to see his face on Xmas day..lol

prawny

My gawd its ace!!!!

I’ve been battering it when I can prize it away from the kids. Mario Odyssey is bangin.

bob_summers

Hanging on for January sales, just in case (although v. unlikely to come down in price). Cheapest here (Spain) is 360eur bundled with SM Odyssey. Spanish Father Christmas comes on 6th Jan, need to pull the trigger soon..

hanchurch
    Free Member

We got our lad one for Christmas it’s great the only disadvantage is there are not as many games for it as the PS4 or Xbox One. I wouldn’t think there is much chance of them being in the sales as availability hasn’t been great so deans for them us still high.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Nintendo Switch’ is closed to new replies.