Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Nintendo Switch
  • Cougar

Nintendo’s new NX console has an official name. And it looks… interesting.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjKRJUmac9U[/video]

Hard to predict how they’ll do with this. It’s certainly innovative, but it’ll live or die by whether or not there’s sufficient grunt to keep up with the PS4 / XBone.

RustySpanner

Hmm.
    I like it, a lot, but then I’m a Nintendo fanboy.
    Doubt if it’ll have the grunt of the competition, but I live in hope.

Still happy with my PS3, DS XL and Wii at the mo, very much doubt I’ll bother with a Wii U.

Much more excited by this, tbh:
    Classic Mini.

I know I could just download it all, but I still want one.

zilog6128

Another gimmick! It may be interesting, but has anyone actually been asking for this? Will anyone buy it? IMO they’d be better off cutting their losses with the hardware side & just concentrate on creating games for successful devices.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Much more excited by this, tbh:
    Classic Mini.

I can’t wait for a SNES version ( mainly for Mario Kart )

I used to be an avid gamer but don’t really have the time but the Switch does look pretty interesting

RustySpanner

zilog6128 – Member
    Another gimmick! It may be interesting, but has anyone actually been asking for this? Will anyone buy it?

Not sure if it is a gimmick.
    If it’s tough enough to deal with some knocks, it could be a really good idea.

All the functionality of a home console but with portability.
    What’s not to like?

zilog6128

All the functionality of a home console but with portability.
    What’s not to like?

Because that’s not what it is.

It’s a portable console that can be plugged into a big screen TV – which is when you’ll realise how pathetic it is compared to an Xbox or Playstation.

So possibly it’ll appeal to younger kids but it will have limited appeal to older ones or adults and without any motion-sensing bollocks it won’t have the crossover appeal to non-gamers that the Wii did.

monkeychild
    Free Member

you’ll realise how pathetic it is compared to an Xbox or Playstation.

In what way? Graphically or game play?

There is nothing on the PS4 or XBox that makes me want to go oooooh gimme, as I am a very casual gamer (I like Nintendo for this). The fact I can take my game to work and have a quick play in my lunch break or continue my game whilst someone else is using the TV is great IMHO.

zilog6128

Yes, graphically. Interesting or unique games, whilst cool, have always been pretty niche. They will be outsold 10:1 (at least) by shooters, FIFA, etc, and the people who play those games will want them to look as nice as possible.

Casual/portable gaming is now totally sewn up by iOS/Android, surely? I don’t even see people with Nintendo DS any more.

I’m not saying this thing isn’t going to be cool, just that it’ll be a massive flop and prove to be the death knell for Nintendo consoles 😀

PMK2060

If this is a success I will be amazed.

Drac

Yup gimmick sums it up Nintendo lost their way after the SNES hoping their own games would continue to keep them going, it didn’t. Seems to be Japanese school kids and those holding onto Mario that keeps them going.

Kit
    Free Member

Nintendo lost their way after the SNES hoping their own games would continue to keep them going, it didn’t. Seems to be Japanese school kids and those holding onto Mario that keeps them going.

5 of the top 10 selling consoles of all time are Nintendo, 3 (or 4) of them released after the SNES. The Wii outsold the 360 and PS3. Either that’s a shitload of Japanese schoolkids and Mario lovers, or you’re talking shite 😉

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles

molgrips
    Free Member

It doesn’t need the grunt of a PS4. It’ll have different games on it that don’t need the power.

Can’t see the attraction of this thing myself though. To me, games are something you do inside, and going outside is what you do when you’re done gaming. The discontinuity is important. If I want to keep gaming I’ll stay inside.

zilog6128

The Wii outsold the 360 and PS3.

The Wii didn’t sell to gamers though did it – it sold to families so they could play them together. The actual games were shit. Just cos something’s popular doesn’t mean that it’s good!!

oldtalent
    Free Member

Another rubbish gimmick. I thought they already made handheld consoles. It will sell worse that the wiiu I expect. The glory days of the N64 are truly over, shame.
    Or maybe I’m too old to be the target market these days and young people will go mad over this.

monkeychild
    Free Member

The actual games were shit.

Really?? Mario Kart was awesome as was Mario Bros and Zelda Twilight Princess. COD was fun in a pew pew I haz a gun way. The silly dance games were fun for parties.

RustySpanner

Love my Wii, still use it quite regularly.
    Really quite a few ‘Not Shit’ games.

Mind you, I still use my GameCube quite a lot too. 🙂

Cougar

Because that’s not what it is.
    It’s a portable console that can be plugged into a big screen TV – which is when you’ll realise how pathetic it is compared to an Xbox or Playstation.

Is it though?

I was wondering about this, if the portable device has enough grunt to drive the few-inch portable screen, and they’ve additional hardware in the ‘docking station’ to render HD graphics at a decent rate on a bigger screen, that Just Might Work. Which I suspect it might be – that’s a big old lump for what could be achieved with a HDMI cable if the portable unit is entirely self-contained.

jamj1974

Appealing to a non-gamer market is just as legitimate as appealing to gamers. Done well (Like the Wii and unlike the Wii U) it really works. Nintendo remains one of the few companies to truly innovate the relationship between gamer and game.

Drac

Either that’s a shitload of Japanese schoolkids and Mario lovers, or you’re talking shite

There’s one or two of them.

It’s cheap price is it’s big appeal I’ve got one it was good for a handful of games, social gathering for the silly bunny game and standing on a board pretending exercise but it was never a serious console.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The top end fancy graphics games are all blow everything to crap online competitive games with auto aim and no plot shooters. Lost interest in those long long time ago. Hence zero interest in 360, PS4 etc.

Wii was fun and didn’t need the reaction times and mentality of a manic 10 year old. Problem is it’s a bit too low def now on a big HD telly. Wii U didn’t really peak my interest to just upgrade the graphics.

These days I can’t be bothered with games. Attention span is too short and the games too expensive considering I’ll play it for half an hour and probably never play it again. Still got a pile of Wii and even PS2 games I barely played.

Not sure about this. As said, market is kind of in phones now for this stuff.

chambord
    Free Member

I find it amusing the people that jump on any nintendo thread shouting off about how rubbish they are. I reckon these people are just too scared to admit they are a bit jealous and want a go on one but don’t want to appear non-gamery. sad really.

zilog6128

that’s a big old lump for what could be achieved with a HDMI cable if the portable unit is entirely self-contained

You’ve clearly never taken a NES cartridge apart if you reckon Nintendo don’t love a massive bit of impressive looking empty plastic 🙂

Drac

I find it amusing the people that jump on any nintendo thread shouting off about how rubbish they are. I reckon these people are just too scared to admit they are a bit jealous and want a go on one but don’t want to appear non-gamery. sad really.

Should we refrain from commenting? Not sure why I’d be jealous though of I wanted one I’d just buy one but I don’t.

mrhoppy

Thing is the non gamer market now has non gamer games available through their phones which they already have. That market has sailed now.

racefaceec90

well i just bought another wii u console as i loved it but had to sell my original as my old crt tv finally gave up the ghost so needed to buy a new one.

it does look very interesting (the new switch) i have to say,but i will wait and see what it’s like/what games are coming out for it e.t.c as the wii u still is a great console (well i think it is anyhoo).

fooman

I thought the Wii and DS (what, two screens?!) were pretty crazy when they came out but were hugely successful. It’s down to having compelling content, which has been lacking on the Wii U. I’ll be getting a Switch though for one game alone – Zelda.

squirrelking
    Free Member

As said its whether the content is any good will determine if I buy this. Took a break after the Wii and DS as quite frankly none of the games were worth it. The Wii was awesome though and the original DS was brilliant. Get their online anti cheat working and I’d seriously consider a switch.

If I want brilliant games with no cock waving graphics I’ll go Nintendo, if I want power I can always play something built for purpose. #pcgamingmasterrace

(F-Zero GX not withstanding on graphics)

dragon
    Free Member

Can’t you do the two screens thing with a PS4 and Xperia phone? And can’t you play xbone games on Win10 devices?

This Switch thing looks crap and is probably 5 years to late, tablets are for casual gamers now and are far more useful at other times.

Xylene
    Free Member

Why were there no kids playing in that video?

Drac

Can’t you do the two screens thing with a PS4 and Xperia phone?

I think so but you can with a PS Vita and PS4

rockhopper70

My kids had a wii and then the wii u.
    It’s early days yet but it looks like the games we have won’t play on the switch, unlike the wii u which played all the wii library we had.
    Having looked at the launch video, I can’t see that I’d be rushing to buy it and the kids were indifferent about being able to take it with them.
    The beauty of the wii u, and what keeps us coming back to it, is that all five of us can play it together. Luigis mansion et al, are great games for losing a few hours together.
    Four player mario kart is great.
    The issue I have, (as a grumpy parent) is if we leave the house to visit grandparents/in laws etc, I don’t want them taking a console.
    So, for us it’s currently a no.
    I was hoping for a much higher power wii u so these super driving games on Xbox etc would be available as well as the family stuff, keeping all the library I have still useable.

Cougar

The top end fancy graphics games are all blow everything to crap online competitive games with auto aim and no plot shooters. Lost interest in those long long time ago. Hence zero interest in 360, PS4 etc.

That’s simply not true. FPSes like you describe are popular, sure, but there’s plenty of other alternatives. Look at Life Is Strange for instance, couldn’t be further from what you describe.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I was hoping for a much higher power wii u so these super driving games on Xbox etc would be available

Never going to happen, it’s not their target market.

Also, you could exercise some control and simply tell them it doesn’t go on family trips?

Hohum
    Free Member

My son is 13 and has grown up with DS, 3DS, Wii and WiiU (plus my old N64) and he gave it the big thumbs up yesterday!

rockhopper70

Also, you could exercise some control and simply tell them it doesn’t go on family trips?

Thanks for the advice there, not thought to do that… 😉

That was my point, they wouldn’t take it anywhere so in my mind it’s a superfluous feature, for us.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

Nintendo recently got a Patent for an “Addition processing unit” that plugs into a console to beef up its capabilities. I’ve been wondering, since the early leaks, if this is what the Dock is or if it will be released shortly after.

FuzzyWuzzy

Whilst I don’t think it will sell particularly well I think it’s a good choice for them. What’s the alternative if they want to stay in the console business? They can’t hope to compete with Microsoft and Sony in the premium console market (which also takes them out of being able to move into VR properly).

So that leaves either a straight upgrade to the Wii (which family buyers probably aren’t really interested in) or mobile gaming. And whilst tablets and phones will always that the majority of the mobile market this gaming tablet (which also acts as the Wii upgrade) should have some appeal.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Has anybody bought/played with one?

loddrik
    Free Member

Yes. Would also be interested in people’s experiences as my soon to be 8 yr old daughter wants one for her birthday next month.

prawny

Add me to the ‘getting one so am interested’ list. We’ve promised our eldest that we’ll get one when his handwriting improves (previously was appalling) and he’s pretty much mastered it. So we’re nearly ready to go.

Not too many games out at the mo, I’m hoping for a decent driving game in the not too distant future.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Nintendo Switch’ is closed to new replies.